Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Interior tire mount options (FZJ80)?

Howdy, all.

I've searched a bit on Mud (and will be searching ExPo) but thought I'd ask the locals...

I want to move my spare inside and get some more ground clearance. I've looked at Slee's "stripper pole" and it's probably fine, but 1) it's pretty pricey at $200 for a steel pole with 6 holes in it, and 2) it looks like it sticks out into the cargo area a bit more than I'd like. Jonesy's has taken theirs off the market, and other solutions from folks I've found on Mud are pretty sketchy looking.

Any thoughts on options, or experience with the stripper pole?

Matt
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post

Any thoughts?

1) Are you SURE you want a spare tire in the cargo area? They take up a lot of room, more than you think. The only time you'll need that spare is when you're fully loaded (it seems) and you get to unpack and repack added to changing it...
(years ago, MAF or SOR (I forget) had an inside tire mount so I bought it. (for my 55) PIA and I hated it. Still have it, but just use it for a tie down.)
B) As your tires grow, the spare just takes up more space, valuable interior space.
III) Skip the middle steps. Save up for a bumper mounted spare mount. I have tried all the spots for a spare, (underneath, roof, inside, outside) out back is the only spot for a spare.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I can't envision any time soon I can feel good about dropping $1500 or so on a rear bumper with a swing out, and even if I did the truck would be too long for the garage. Prissy, maybe, but I really like having a warmish truck in the morning.
TLCA #22433
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Mountain goat has an interior mount...he likes it a lot. I can't remember if his is the SLEE version?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Tools R Us has one that looks pretty sharp
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Tools R Us has one that looks pretty sharp
Here ya go......

http://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-st...-carriers.html

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
Mountain goat has an interior mount...he likes it a lot. I can't remember if his is the SLEE version?
Yeah. I have had the Slee version mounted for several years. Works good for me, power tank fits behind it and my one man bed set up on a drawer fits next to it. The 315 does take up a lot of space, though.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

This one too: http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-...-fj-fzj80.html

Having done the interior mount I personally hated it. I did not like giving up that much interior space.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think that when Travis and I get to work welding up sliders we might experiment a bit with an option. I hear ya'll on the interior space issue, but I figure I'll just leave the underbody hardware intact for the times when I really need interior space (like the semiannual all-family road trip). It may be a pain to move around but I probably won't be moving it all that often. Otherwise it's just me + my wife and a kid or two, or just me and bike or trail gear.

I'd like to fab up something that uses the existing bolts in the floor of the cargo area, and attaches to the grab handle holes (eliminating the handle) just for a little more lateral stability. I understand that in isolation, none of these threaded holes are particularly robust, but together I suspect they'll be more than adequate to support a 33" tire. By fabbing something up, at least I won't be dropping real coin on it if I decide I hate it.

Thanks for all the input. The links to the Mud threads are ones I'd found. Unfortunately, Jonesy's took theirs off the market (per an email with their main guy). Theirs was the best looking option, but was still $200+. I'll post up what we come up with if it's worth sharing.
TLCA #22433
Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

The threaded bolt holes in the floor of the cargo area were intended for a row of seats- they're certainly up to the task of holding down a spare tire, IMO.

What's wrong with underneath the cargo area though? a 33" tire fits down there, and when you raise that cross member it's out of harm's way, protected by your receiver hitch. I too wouldn't want to give up that interior space.

www.gamiviti.com