Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 63" 1/2-Ton Chevy leaf spring swap mod.

Ok, I can't remember if this was on this forum or one of the many others that I have an account on… But i'm pretty sure it was on here. I remember seeing a thread by a guy with an old-school red 4-runner that was talking about putting 63" leaf springs from a 1-Ton Chevy on his 4-runner.

Anyways, the one-ton springs are overkill. So 1/2-ton springs is what it's gonna be. All I want to know is, what the new spacing needs to be for the leaf spring hangers on the frame. I can't remember what that distance was.

This spring I'd like to try and find a set of those springs and put them on my '03 Tacoma.

Anyone have any idea?

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©

Last edited by Shotshell; 03-24-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Lifted

Pirate4x4 has tons of info on this conversion, check there. You also don't want to use 1 ton leafs, they're way, way, too stiff. People use 1/2 ton leafs. I used 57" Dodge 1/2 ton leafs with the overload leaf removed on my son's 4Runner. It didn't lift it enough compared to the front SAS, so I have to add another leaf back in, but they work great.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

If chevy springs are what you are looking for, you might try Chevy Truck Parts out in Hudson. They have a huge yard of the older Chevys and if you call them and tell them what you are looking for, they can search the yard and probably pull them for you too. I was just out there on Friday, he has an old Chevy COE cab that would make an awesome project!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did some searching and found this. I thought i'd go ahead and post it for future reference, in case anyone is interested. It contains 99.9% of the needed info, I think.

http://www.nwtoys.com/content/135-ch...-swap-faq.html

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©

Last edited by Shotshell; 03-24-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Lifted

I like the Pirate4x4.com FAQ the best. I would not use the double shackles though. The stock Chevy shackles work best and lowering shackles will give additional lift.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-swap-faq.html

There are plenty of 1/2 ton Chevy's you can get springs from yourself at the Pull and Pay yards for about $25 each.

This is still one of the best things ever done on my 4Runner, I don't think one could imagine how superior these springs work until they try them. I have done this twice now, I'd be happy to get any dimensions for you, if needed.
TLCA#22551
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

i did it to my 84 hilux
pirate has a lot of info
the rear hanger bolt hole needs moved back 4" I just bought a orbit eye shackle hanger from trailgear and welded it behind the oem hanger. and the oem hanger dose not even need to be removed and it makes a perfect 4"
the front hanger bolt hole needs moved 11" forward of the orgional hole (double check that number with pirate ). removal of the oem hanger IS necessary as it hits the leafs.. and you also do not need to use 3/4 ton leafs.. most people use 1/2 ton.
I personally used the 3/4 so that I could still have 3/4 ton load capacity. then I removed the overload leaf, as I only loaded the truck with 3/4 ton one time. ( 3 days after finishing the project) which is how I relized the front hanger needs to be removed..
then as long as you have a shackle flip kit your good.. if not buy one as your going to need new u bolts because your removing your old ones.
REPLACE ALL THE BUSHINGS ON THE 63" SPRINGS before installing on to the truck. its very cheep maintence. and the old bushings are crap.
as for shackles I just used 3/8" thick 6" shackles. and I didn't need any offsets. as I made shure that the rear hanger and front hanger were 63" width..

63" on top old Toyota rear on bottom
Attached Images

Last edited by TIMZTOY; 03-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'll be doing this mod this spring as well. Mickeyhcrana should host a 63" spring party!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I'll be doing this mod this spring as well. Mickeyhcrana should host a 63" spring party!
I might have join this just watch how it is done so when i am ready to do this to my mini.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'll play. Let me know when and where!!!
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Cool guys lets do this. It'll be an extensive amount of work and it sounds like 2-3 vehicles. Let get a parts list together and cost so we can plan accordingly. Also we should set up a field trip to ye olde scrap yard. A good old Rising Sun sanctioned pick and pull event!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver