Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
I like the Pirate4x4.com FAQ the best. I would not use the double shackles though. The stock Chevy shackles work best and lowering shackles will give additional lift.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-swap-faq.html

There are plenty of 1/2 ton Chevy's you can get springs from yourself at the Pull and Pay yards for about $25 each.

This is still one of the best things ever done on my 4Runner, I don't think one could imagine how superior these springs work until they try them. I have done this twice now, I'd be happy to get any dimensions for you, if needed.
Would you be willing to post some pics of your finished product from various different angles?

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I'll be doing this mod this spring as well. Mickeyhcrana should host a 63" spring party!
ill be moving back around august. I have experience and can knock them out fast..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Do you think they'll have 63" springs from a '99 1/2 ton?
why? just because you have 1 ton axles dosent meen you req 1 ton springs. unless your planning to tow 1 ton on payload.. people use Coilovers with 1 ton and sometimes they dont even support the truck properly..
and they wouldn't flex for ****.. the whole point of the 63" are to get the flex and 3" ish lift.
I would advise NOT doing 1 Ton. besides I don't think that there 3" wide like the 1/2 and 3/4 ton
Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

We're not gonna use one-ton springs. I've already purchased the 1/2 ton springs, and am in process of getting together the other needed items (shackles, hangers, new hardware, etc.)
Thanks for the offer to help. But I'm hoping to have these done and wheeling long before August.

TLCA #22468

Old 03-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post

I would advise NOT doing 1 Ton. besides I don't think that there 3" wide like the 1/2 and 3/4 ton

Yeah 1/2 ton is the plan.

Maybe we can have a Mod fix the title for us.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

I spent this afternoon and evening fabricating these.
Two new rear leaf hangers and shackles. The hangers are 3/16" thick steel and the shackles are 3/8" x 1-1/2" steel.

*EDIT* These didn't actually end up being used.

TLCA #22468

Last edited by Shotshell; 04-06-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

What about bushings for the hanger mount? It doesn't look like there is much room there.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Would you be willing to post some pics of your finished product from various different angles?
Yes, I will. Sorry, I just now saw this.

Here are the hangars I made.

Here are Chevy U-bolt plates next to Toyota.

Here they are over each other. I bored out the Toyota plates for the Chevy bolts.

Chevy vs. Toyota

Thats all the good pics on my 'puter, I'll get alot more of the finished deal when the sun comes up.
TLCA#22551
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Lifted

I had to cut out a hitch welded into the frame here. I replaced it with the square section.

Those are Chevy lowering shackles. I started with the stock Chevy shackles until I lifted the front.

I used lift blocks to raise the bump-stops.

...and a little bracket to raise the LSPV.

To extend the rear brake line, I just added another soft-line inline.

The Chevy U-bolts are as long as you could possibly want, cut them to length when you're done. One day I'll get U-bolt flips from Marlin or something, but this was free stuff.
TLCA#22551
Old 03-27-2014, 06:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was very impressed with your work when I saw it in person. Do you have a picture if how your rig sits overall now?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey thanks, Mike.
I see you used your factory shock mounts. I've seen other people use, and recommend using, U-bolts from the bottom and making a new top plate and then either making a new shock attachment on that plate and using the top factory attachment or welding new ones on the axle itself and then using a new cross bar between the frame to attach the top of the shock. Are you happy with the way that your current set up performs in that regard?

Also, what shocks did you use back there?

I think I've got everything I need for this swap, as far as hardware goes.
Now I'm just trying to figure out which way I want to mount those.

TLCA #22468