Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I was very impressed with your work when I saw it in person. Do you have a picture if how your rig sits overall now?
Hey, thanks Justin. I was impressed with your truck as well. Here is how it sits now.

Quote:
Shotshell Hey thanks, Mike.
I see you used your factory shock mounts. I've seen other people use, and recommend using, U-bolts from the bottom and making a new top plate and then either making a new shock attachment on that plate and using the top factory attachment or welding new ones on the axle itself and then using a new cross bar between the frame to attach the top of the shock. Are you happy with the way that your current set up performs in that regard?

Also, what shocks did you use back there?

I think I've got everything I need for this swap, as far as hardware goes.
Now I'm just trying to figure out which way I want to mount those.
Originally, I needed to get axles back under my truck ASAP after the theft recovery. I didn't want to spend time or $ flipping the U-bolts and relocating shocks until I had an axle under it. As I got it running, I spent most of my free time fine tuning the shock length, bump-stop height, pinion angle, extending breather lines and brake tubes. One thing I have been happy with though since day one was the articulation and flex. I think it may articulate more with shocks mounted as you described, and I plan to do it someday as well as flipping the U-bolts for more clearance but it is certainly not a hindrance as I envisioned it might be in the beginning.

I'm using ProComp ES3000 shocks all the way around my tuck and I think they are great. I could get part numbers if you want but I doubt you would use the same ones unless your setup was identical to mine.

I have to say the most expensive thing in my suspension is my time. You can measure for shocks and bumps tops all you want to get close but I bought shocks 3 times, and tried many shackle and bum stop heights to make it work to its full potential. Plan on a fine tuning phase after the springs are in.
TLCA#22551
Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

So I need to give a huge and THANK YOU to Baja1d for helping me out a TON this afternoon. We got my new front hangers welded on and also welded together the rest of the hardware that needed to be welded. I need to pick up a couple new bolts, and I should be ready to put these bad boys on there.

However, I'm trying to decide now if I should wait to put these on until I have my new front installed, or just go with it and see what happens…

Anyways, I'm super stoked.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©
Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Put them on! Your stockers have had enough...
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Put them on! Your stockers have had enough...
Agreed! They're almost bent into pretzels. LOL

TLCA #22468

Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 PM

As a guy who spent a couple days driving around with a higher front end and now has a higher back end, I'd say do it. Driving around with the front high was awful. I kinda like having the back a little high.
KEŘITH
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
As a guy who spent a couple days driving around with a higher front end and now has a higher back end, I'd say do it. Driving around with the front high was awful. I kinda like having the back a little high.
Good to know. There's a chance it might get done this Sunday.

TLCA #22468

Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got the correct diameter bolts today. All my fabricated stuff is painted. The shackles are on the new springs. All I've got to do is take out the old and install the new. Super stoked.

TLCA #22468

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

So I got my new springs installed today. Took about 5 hours.
There is still some tweaking that needs to be done. I'm going to have to rethink my lower shock mount. But it's a good start.
Here's some pics from the day's work.

So as you can see in this last picture, the springs ended up pretty much flat with zero up travel left on the shock. So I cut the shackles down to 6" centers instead of 8" centers, and it actually bowed the springs a little. But when it was all said and done, I only gained 1/4" over what I began with. Considering that's 4-1/4" over stock, I guess that's not bad. However, like I said before, there will be more tweaking to the design. I'm thinking that I might move the rear hanger forward a couple inches to help get a little more lift. But I'm going to see what happens when I install my new tundra coils with my new front bumper. Then I'll make a decision.

TLCA #22468

Last edited by Shotshell; 04-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Lifted

Where have you guys been sourcing springs from? I went to Pull n Save this weekend and they had plenty, but pulling them in a muddy yard with no power equipment, trying get rusted on ubolts and shackles bolts is damn near impossible. Unfortunately, they're the only ones who are charging a reasonable price. Other yards want more than I can buy a new pair for, just for the convenience of having them pulled for you.

Getting the lift height correct is the biggest pain with these conversions. I installed Dodge springs on the 4Runner and ended up with about 2" of lift in the rear (completely reworked rear frame and both hangers). It drove like a 70's hot rod for about a year, then the SAS was done. That resulted in over 6" of lift, so now it rides way high in the front. The front has sagged a little, but I'm trying to play around with adding leaves, etc to figure out how to get another 3" in the rear to level it.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
Where have you guys been sourcing springs from? I went to Pull n Save this weekend and they had plenty, but pulling them in a muddy yard with no power equipment, trying get rusted on ubolts and shackles bolts is damn near impossible. Unfortunately, they're the only ones who are charging a reasonable price. Other yards want more than I can buy a new pair for, just for the convenience of having them pulled for you.

Getting the lift height correct is the biggest pain with these conversions. I installed Dodge springs on the 4Runner and ended up with about 2" of lift in the rear (completely reworked rear frame and both hangers). It drove like a 70's hot rod for about a year, then the SAS was done. That resulted in over 6" of lift, so now it rides way high in the front. The front has sagged a little, but I'm trying to play around with adding leaves, etc to figure out how to get another 3" in the rear to level it.
I got my chevy springs from Chevy Truck Parts in Hudson.
http://www.chevytruck-parts.com
You want the one at 5187 Filmore street. I got my 1/2 ton, 4-leaf, 63" springs for $100 for the set. And they take them off for you. But more than likely they have them in their stock pile already.

Have you considered going with longer shackles? How long are the ones you have on there right now?

TLCA #22468