Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Any Audi people here?

Any Audi people here?

I'm looking for stock wheels to fit a 2001 TT. I have some super fancy (that's a technical term) low profile wheels and tires to sell. I think there are many other Audi and VW wheels that would fit.

I'm also looking for the IH8MUD.com of the Audi world.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Guy next door has a audi/vw pull yard at his house. I can ask later but prolly wont see him till tomorrow. Ill be home from work late.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I'm also looking for the IH8MUD.com of the Audi world.
So, I've got a coworker with a Touareg and an A4. We both turn a wrench or two, so we make it a point to discuss our endeavors after the weekend. They usually go something like:

Me: Replaced my starter this past weekend. $120 for a Denso reman and an hour of my time. Only had to touch three bolts.
Coworker: Ha, I recall the time that I replaced the starter. I had to pull the front end, midway into removing the headlights I discovered that I needed a special VW tool... (ramble ramble ramble, I lost count after the third or so VW specific tool)
--
Me: Replaced my brake pads this past weekend. $140 in parts, took about two hours or so.
Coworker: Heh, I recall the last time I did pads. After pulling the caliper, I realized that the pistons also screwed back in, so I had to run somewhere and grab a VW specific brake piston compressing tool, then I had to get a ... (ramble ramble ramble, I lost count after a half day's labor and getting a number of VW specific tools)
--
Coworker: Gah, I've got to do a timing belt and water pump this weekend. It's going to take forever, and VW has this specific (ramble ramble ramble, something something, I stopped caring at this point. I know how these things go.)
Me: 1FZ has timing chain. What's this "belt" you speak of? Is it like my v-belts?
Coworker: Yours takes v-belts? Damn, my serpentine belt is a VW specific $120 part and a... (ramble ramble ramble...)
--

Remind me to tell you about my other friend that did a manual swap into an Audi S4.

Long story short, if there is a 'Mud of the VAG world... Do you REALLY want to know about it?

Ben B
1997 LX450 (2016-Pres)
KELBN
Old 04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

If your looking for 15 inch wheels I've got 4 aluminum wheels with almost new rubber.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva r.i.p. 336k
01 vw golf daily driver Gone
01 Tacoma double cab
KDDHQ
Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

That pretty much sums it up right there. If you appreciate Toyota for its reliability you probably don't own an Audi. But they sure do drive nice between shop visits.

And to add to below, I once had to replace the heater core to my old VW Jetta. It's a 12 hour job according to the book. And that's because it's bolted directly to the firewall dead center. So the center console, steering wheel and complete dash have to be removed. AC system discharged. And to add insult to injury the actual heater core has studs that pass through the firewall with nuts inside the engine compartment behind the engine.

However the heater core on an 80 Series ain't no picnic either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjrblant View Post
So, I've got a coworker with a Touareg and an A4. We both turn a wrench or two, so we make it a point to discuss our endeavors after the weekend. They usually go something like:

Me: Replaced my starter this past weekend. $120 for a Denso reman and an hour of my time. Only had to touch three bolts.
Coworker: Ha, I recall the time that I replaced the starter. I had to pull the front end, midway into removing the headlights I discovered that I needed a special VW tool... (ramble ramble ramble, I lost count after the third or so VW specific tool)
--
Me: Replaced my brake pads this past weekend. $140 in parts, took about two hours or so.
Coworker: Heh, I recall the last time I did pads. After pulling the caliper, I realized that the pistons also screwed back in, so I had to run somewhere and grab a VW specific brake piston compressing tool, then I had to get a ... (ramble ramble ramble, I lost count after a half day's labor and getting a number of VW specific tools)
--
Coworker: Gah, I've got to do a timing belt and water pump this weekend. It's going to take forever, and VW has this specific (ramble ramble ramble, something something, I stopped caring at this point. I know how these things go.)
Me: 1FZ has timing chain. What's this "belt" you speak of? Is it like my v-belts?
Coworker: Yours takes v-belts? Damn, my serpentine belt is a VW specific $120 part and a... (ramble ramble ramble...)
--

Remind me to tell you about my other friend that did a manual swap into an Audi S4.

Long story short, if there is a 'Mud of the VAG world... Do you REALLY want to know about it?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
That pretty much sums it up right there. If you appreciate Toyota for its reliability you probably don't own an Audi. But they sure do drive nice between shop visits.

And to add to below, I once had to replace the heater core to my old VW Jetta. It's a 12 hour job according to the book. And that's because it's bolted directly to the firewall dead center. So the center console, steering wheel and complete dash have to be removed. AC system discharged. And to add insult to injury the actual heater core has studs that pass through the firewall with nuts inside the engine compartment behind the engine.

However the heater core on an 80 Series ain't no picnic either.
A guy at work has a BMW 135i and had a fairly minor issue with the AC. He has a warranty, so he brought it in for repair. It took them 3 weeks and $4,800 in labor (parts were "only" another $950) to fix it because the entire dash and lots more had to be removed. The warranty expires in 3 months, so he's listing it for sale now.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ha! I remember the screw-in brake piston thing from when we had a VW Routan minivan.. once I figured it out, it was actually kinda cool in a way. But only after an extra hour of fiddlin', searchin', and an extra trip to the 'Zone...

paging dubitup.. he's our Audi guy.

And no idea Daniel what the forums are. when I had VW's it was vwvortex.com or clubb5.com, and I know they are super close to the same rides.. I suspect one of those has a cross link to the Audi side.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjrblant View Post
So, I've got a coworker with a Touareg and an A4. ....... (ramble ramble ramble)
Classic. Mine was a deal I am determined not be a money pit. So, step one is sell the super-bad 19" BBS wheels shod with 235/35 19s and get back to stock.

Stock is 225/45 17. This is the 225hp AWD roadster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyfj40 View Post
If your looking for 15 inch wheels I've got 4 aluminum wheels with almost new rubber.
Could fit 16s (that's what the 2wd version has) but at the moment plan to get 17's.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

It's right in the book about the brake pads, it ain't rocket surgery. When I was buying parts to do her Jetta brakes it was an extra $20 for a decent little tool that is useful on any caliper. Do C-clamps work? Sure. But now I have the right tool.

There are little gotchas with everything.

PHH anyone?

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I had a B7 RS4 and and a B6 A4 in the past. quattroworld.com is a great resource. vwvortex is also good but doesn't seem to have a lot of conversations on older stuff. more 'utes' talking about current gen cars. There also was a meet-up group for TT owners in the Denver metro area. They did drives and lunches. I did TTWest one year and had a good time. (week long driving trip of Canyonlands, Bryce, Vegas, Vegas, and some other parks.