Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Fly Fishing - Getting started recommendations

No gear, no experience.

What is the collective wisdom on basic gear to get started? I am a believer in starting simple, no problem with used gear.

I am anxious to get a pole and get started but don't want to develop bad habits, so should I read a book, watch a video, take a class?
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
No mods yet, work in progress.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Don't buy anything yet!!!! Find someone that can spend some time with you teaching you some basics. Some fly shops will rent waders and boots. Have your friend take you to a stream and learn "Nymph" fishing (use their equipment). This is the easiest way to learn stream reading and hook setting. You do not need to know how to cast to Wyoming! Start with "nymphing" and then buy your own equipment and take a class at a fly shop. You can add the casting at anytime.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Lifted

A fly fishing buddy is a great plan. Most guys I know have two or three rigs anyway.

Once you get a pole, your front yard is the best place to practice casting. It's much easier to concentrate on technique when you aren't also trying to balance on that one slick, tippy rock that gives you the perfect angle to cast into the pocket water up ahead.

My final piece of advice is to not forget that it isn't perfect technique that catches fish. If you don't have a perfect cast, you can still go and catch fish, or at the very least beat the water in some of the prettiest country around.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I would say go with a buddy first and borrow his extra setup. If you really want your own, Craigslist is full of used once setups from guys who thought they were going to start a new hobby.

Enjoy being outside. Your first few times can be very frustrating with tangled lines and snags in trees. Start with simple casts on a nymph setup.
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Wincher

Dan: I agree with everyone else... go with a friend who knows what they are doing. I started by reading books and watching videos but the times I really learned is when I had a guide or a friend who is good enough to be a guide. Even if you spring for half a day with a guide, your learning curve will be that much faster. I like the guys and flies & lies in deckers but almost any guide will do it.

Since I owe so many who taught me how to fly fishing and guys on this forum that have helped me, I'de be happy to show you how to get started... PM me if you want to talk about it. It would be an honor...
Old 07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks to all for the great responses and information. Good that July is way too busy for spending any money. I will take your combined advice and get started in August. Looking forward to some time on a river somewhere.
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
No mods yet, work in progress.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Let us know if you want to head out and hit the river.

I may be in Crested Butte at the end of August for a day of wheeling and a day of fishing, just in case you were interested in making a trip out of it.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.