Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Mini Truck Driveshaft Carrier Bearing

A head's up if your Hilux/4Runner/Pickup has a two-piece driveshaft and uses the 37230-35130 carrier bearing assembly. I believe this would be all XtraCab, long bed and maybe 4Runners from 1984 to 1995.

First, go check that yours is still in decent shape. This is what I found investigating a banging I'd heard coming from the rear end. I thought maybe the sound was dry poly spring bushings, which I also have... The rubber on mine had completely disintegrated this winter. Yikes! The bearing itself was still sort of smooth.

Name:  IMG_3643_med.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  62.9 KB

Second, if yours is worn or wearing out or you're just feeling flush with disposable income you might want to pick up a spare.

The one that I had on there was the top of the line NAPA that Englewood Driveshaft installed when I last had it rebuilt. This was done in the summer of 2011, so just coming up on 3 years. The reason I skimped last time was Toyota lists the carrier for $400 and the good price is usually about $275 to $350.

In the course of shopping I was told that there were 15 left in the worldwide parts system. So now there are 14. I dunno how much truth there is to that, but just FYI. While it's painful, my experience is that the 'highest' quality aftermarket (which wasn't cheap, they are north of $100 still) lasts about 1/5th as long as an original part, so the genuine part is probably worth the money if you want to stick with the two-piece driveshaft.

I thought about going with a one-piece but there is a reason Toyota made this huge hunk of iron, I believe that a one-piece would rub the fuel tank skid plate, particularly if your truck is running stock or mild lift. Plus I didn't want to deal with measurement and test fitting one, just needed to get the truck back into shape at this point.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Not on the 4runners, but a good thing to keep an eye on none-the-less. I'd be curious as to how some of the "pillow block" style ones hold up, as they are also cheaper. Maybe they are harder to fit.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dad's 2000 taco has one of those
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 03-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Dad's 2000 taco has one of those
I don't think the Tacoma bearing is the same part as the Pickup, not sure their inventory is being reduced by Toyota. The 1984-1995 trucks seem to be hitting the point where Toyota is trying to figure out what to supply. Noticing parts needing to be ordered or not available. For example, the carrier didn't come from the regular regional warehouse in K.C., came via Tacoma, WA.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler