Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Trail Suggestions

Hi,

What are the best 5 and 6 rated trails with good rock climbing but with the least possible chance of falling off a cliff? I like rock climbing but shelf roads with an inch before falling off is not one of the most favorite things.

I have an auto FJ Cruiser with A-Trac and locking rear diff.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Howdy Seor, welcome to the Rising Sun Forum!

Have you been out to Moab before? If not, some of the trails I would recommend that fit your criteria would be Fins and Things, Poison Spider, Hells Revenge and Elephant Hill too for the best scenery. A great mix of Slickrock and sites without the huge drop offs. ( I don't know anything about number ratings for trails. )

Hope you can make it.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Basically just stay away from Cliffhanger and Moab Rim. Kane Creek has a shelf road but not to the extent of the others.

Metal Masher and Porcupine Rim are two other good trails that don't have any real exposure issues. Both take you up to look-outs but don't require technical driving on an edge of anything big. Both are basically up on high plateaus. The lunch break look out spot on Porcupine is one of the most beautiful places on earth as far as I'm concerned.

Hells Revenge is the signature slick rock trail. But I would not do that one first if your new to Moab. Until you gain confidence in your new found traction that one might play with your head a little. Its a great trail though so don't skip it just plan it later in the event.

Fins is probably the best place to get your feet wet. It starts out pretty moderate then works its way up to Kenny's Climb.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Gold Bar Rim
Poison Spider
Metal Masher
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bases on these, I ended up choosing:
Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider as my first choices for each day.

I assume if there are spots for these then the second and third choices are ignored.(?).

I also got put on a waiting list for the Fins & Thing Wednesday night run. If I get on this I might change the Thursday Fins & Things, if allowed.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Buckwheat View Post

Fins & Things, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider as my first choices for each day.

I assume if there are spots for these then the second and third choices are ignored.(?).

I also got put on a waiting list for the Fins & Thing Wednesday night run. If I get on this I might change the Thursday Fins & Things, if allowed.

Cool. I'm leading Saturday.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

I personally think you might not like Porcupine Rim if you hate drop offs. It follows a cliff the whole length of the trail with a bunch of off camber stuff. One of my least favorite trails. Although I drove it last in a tippy FJ40. Your FJCruiser is probably a lot less tippy.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

Correct
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Porcupine has maybe three spots that might make your butt cheek tighten up. I lead this trail often.

The first half is on a road on a steep hillside. I would not really call it a shelf road.

Your FJC I much wider than a FJ40. It will be very stable unless you have a lot of weight up on a roof rack like a RTT.

I would not worry too much about it. Line your self up behind another FJC and you can see what it does on everything in front of you. I generally try to set my vehicles up like that with a more experienced driver in front of a less.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Porcupine has maybe three spots that might make your butt cheek tighten up. I lead this trail often.

The first half is on a road on a steep hillside. I would not really call it a shelf road.

Your FJC I much wider than a FJ40. It will be very stable unless you have a lot of weight up on a roof rack like a RTT.

I would not worry too much about it. Line your self up behind another FJC and you can see what it does on everything in front of you. I generally try to set my vehicles up like that with a more experienced driver in front of a less.
Just watched this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCN4Va_QzT0

Looks ok from it.