Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Wincher

Default a/t m/t hybrids?

For the past 8 years I've been running dedicated mud terrains with the thought that they will shine in the tech and chunk (I like wheeling trails like Spring Creek, Golden Spike, Blanca, etc), but am wondering if they are really worth the extra road noise and (in theory) shorter wear life. Getting to/from trails, and even in between obstacles on trails probably covers 98-99% of a tire's life with that last 1-2% being on larger obstacles. I've seen a large number of people on duratracs or other 'hybrid' style tires do fairly well out on trails. For a vehicle that won't be getting an exo-cage or running 40s for full on rock crawler duty, and living in the arid climate largely devoid of mud that we do, is there any reason not to scale back the aggressiveness of the tire pattern a bit?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I run the same trails you mentioned and switched to BFG AT's after watching them perform on Blanca. So far no complaints, GS twice, behind the rocks, Kane Creek last year no problems. Achilles heal is mud.

Stay away from 33" duratracs(2ply)....35" (3 ply) mo better

97 LX450
Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just stay away from Duratracs except for winter duties. Mine are studded .

I was super happy with my General Grabber red labels. Pretty much a hybrid type tire. But they really sucked in snow.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Trail Ready

I'm thinking I may try the toyo rt next on my truck, don't need full mud terrains but want something more than just an all terrain.
2002 Tacoma DCab TRD, OME suspension, 1" Daystar Bodylift, ARB front bumper, Lightforce 170's, 20" led light bar, blacked out HID bixenon projectors, Slee Sliders, 33" Yoko's on 5th gen 4Runner wheels, TRD supercharger, exhaust, and trans cooler.

to do: snorkel, ditch lights on Cbioffroadfab brackets, flush mount lights in new rear bumper, rock lights, new retrofits in headlights, ARB fridge mounts in bed w power, hids in LightForce (or arb led knockoffs)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I went with the Micky Thompson ATZ P3s. So far I have been very impressed. Time will tell how and if they wear evenly.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
For the past 8 years I've been running dedicated mud terrains with the thought that they will shine in the tech and chunk (I like wheeling trails like Spring Creek, Golden Spike, Blanca, etc), but am wondering if they are really worth the extra road noise and (in theory) shorter wear life. Getting to/from trails, and even in between obstacles on trails probably covers 98-99% of a tire's life with that last 1-2% being on larger obstacles. I've seen a large number of people on duratracs or other 'hybrid' style tires do fairly well out on trails. For a vehicle that won't be getting an exo-cage or running 40s for full on rock crawler duty, and living in the arid climate largely devoid of mud that we do, is there any reason not to scale back the aggressiveness of the tire pattern a bit?
You won't see any difference on the trail between muds and AT's unless you buy a street tire, with super thin sidewalls and tread (which will give you flats).

I have run BFG AT's for a long time. I tried some MT/R Kevlars, and I tried some BFG muds for a while, back on the BFG AT's.

As for trails, the only time I have ever seen my truck (or any other truck) held back by its tires was when its in mud. Mud terrains work well in the mud. All Terrains don't. For everything else, tire style is pretty much irrelevant, unless you are starting to talk about sticky compounds.

In the dry, out here in Colorado and Utah, I've found that two lockers, lots of low gearing, and picking lines has gotten my truck up all the trails you mentioned, and then some, without difficulty (including obstacles).

Ground clearance has been an issue, but never the tires. I have bypassed a few things, but never because I thought I needed different tires. I will bypass if there are a number of people behind who need to get through and I'm not positive I can clean it, or if a small slip is going to put my group through a winch fest, or if I simply don't have the balls for it. If its a quiet day, with just a couple of buddies, I'll give it a go.

I like the way MT's look, personally. I think they make a truck look fantastic. And, for a trail only truck, I'd probably run them, if for no other reason that if it WAS muddy, I might be able to move forward, LOL. But since I still have to DD, I'm sticking with the AT's.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty much agree with Isaac. Only problem is finding an AT with a solid sidewall. For that reason I will continue to buy MT's or similar for my obese FZJ80.

I'd really like a third set of wheels so I could run AT's on road trips where we want the space but don't plan to wheel hard. I no longer DD my 80. Its just a RV now.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

I ran BFG M/Ts and A/Ts for years on various rigs. IMHO, the A/Ts didn't do as well in deep snow as the M/Ts. BFG M/Ts need to be siped or else they will require a change of your pants when driving on slick asphalt, they're scary. The rubber compound of both types will start to get hard and less sticky on rocks and asphalt after around 5 years, but this is probably true for most tires.

When BFG went to their 3rd gen on the M/T, I didn't like it at all, and based on some positive commentary from Robbie in Toyota Trails, I went with Goodyear Duratracs on my 60. I am running the 285/75-16s. I absolutely love them. They are sticky on rocks and pavement and the only thing better on snow and ice (that I've tried) are the Blizzaks I run on my wife's Rav 4. Duratracs do better than the Michelin X-Ices I put on her Yaris.

The Duratracs are quiet and smooth on pavement (I can easily do 85mph going to and from Moab and still hear the music or have a phone conversation in the 60) and stick like crazy to rocks and pavement. Their sidewall have a bad rep as being weak, and I personally witnessed one of Tim Nakari's Duratrac sidewall punctures on Spring Creek the year before last. For the record, I have two sidewall punctures on BFG M/Ts and zero (knock on wood) on my Duratracs.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Pretty much agree with Isaac. Only problem is finding an AT with a solid sidewall. For that reason I will continue to buy MT's or similar for my obese FZJ80.

I'd really like a third set of wheels so I could run AT's on road trips where we want the space but don't plan to wheel hard. I no longer DD my 80. Its just a RV now.
I hear you on the sidewall. I've had good luck with the BFG AT 3plys. I've pushed them into a lot of things and been mostly okay. Did put a large stick through one on Spring Creek about 10 years ago, but have been fine since.

Also, not as heavy as an 80, which likely makes a difference.

Generation Dead
Old 12-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I ran BFG M/Ts and A/Ts for years on various rigs. IMHO, the A/Ts didn't do as well in deep snow as the M/Ts. BFG M/Ts need to be siped or else they will require a change of your pants when driving on slick asphalt, they're scary. The rubber compound of both types will start to get hard and less sticky on rocks and asphalt after around 5 years, but this is probably true for most tires.

When BFG went to their 3rd gen on the M/T, I didn't like it at all, and based on some positive commentary from Robbie in Toyota Trails, I went with Goodyear Duratracs on my 60. I am running the 285/75-16s. I absolutely love them. They are sticky on rocks and pavement and the only thing better on snow and ice (that I've tried) are the Blizzaks I run on my wife's Rav 4. Duratracs do better than the Michelin X-Ices I put on her Yaris.

The Duratracs are quiet and smooth on pavement (I can easily do 85mph going to and from Moab and still hear the music or have a phone conversation in the 60) and stick like crazy to rocks and pavement. Their sidewall have a bad rep as being weak, and I personally witnessed one of Tim Nakari's Duratrac sidewall punctures on Spring Creek the year before last. For the record, I have two sidewall punctures on BFG M/Ts and zero (knock on wood) on my Duratracs.
Deep snow is another good point. Similar to mud: you need the tread lugs to pull you through.

Generation Dead