Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Wincher

Default Real-Time Help! Offroad Ltd, Aurora

I took the 62 to get inspected for my v8 swap and failed miserably. The inspector in Aurora says I'm missing my cats and all o2 sensors. My buddy/shop who did the conversion swears they are there, just hard to find.

Inspector recommended Offroad Ltd across the street. He said he works closely with their shop all the time to get the cruiser to pass emissions (needs the computer reflashed, 2 cats, 4 sensors, evap canister, fuel pressure sensor, everything). Any experience with this shop? They said they have worked on cruisers a lot. Reviews are mixed on yelp and google but seem mostly favorable. I would love to do the work with a cruiser head but am thinking it will go smoothly since the inspector will work directly with the shop (they're like 100 feet apart).
Old 04-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Inquiring minds want to know how he could possibly route the exhaust so that the cats and o2 sensors would be "hard to find"???
TLCA #23619
Old 04-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrange View Post
Inquiring minds want to know how he could possibly route the exhaust so that the cats and o2 sensors would be "hard to find"???
Yes, these are not sophisticated vehicles with tons of aerodynamic and wind noise reducers covering the the entire bottom of the vehicle.

Look under your car. Can you find all of these? Hard to miss.....
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think i remember it was a 5.3 swap?

if so yeah you need all emissions equipment... 2 cats, 4 sensors, evap canister, purge and evap solenoids as well as a check engine light.

The fuel tank pressure sensor is also good to have, and some require a level sensor. Mine does not have a level sensor and was passed.

So, as asked above, if you look under it does it have cats and o2 sensors? does it have a check engine light? Is it a 5.3 (ls type) swap?
82 FJ40
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerzz View Post
Inspector recommended Offroad Ltd across the street. <snip> Any experience with this shop? They said they have worked on cruisers a lot. Reviews are mixed on yelp and google but seem mostly favorable. I would love to do the work with a cruiser head but am thinking it will go smoothly since the inspector will work directly with the shop (they're like 100 feet apart).
I've purchased stuff from them but never had them work on my vehicles. They have been around for a long time and have a good reputation. The shop participated in the Rising Sun Rally at least a couple of times, and there are several Toyota guys there in the midst of the Jeep guys.

If all the work that needs to be done is exhaust, you might think about going to AA Performance over on S. Broadway (south side) or Bud's (north side). You'll find dozens of endorsements for these two shops here on the forum.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Wincher

I have an 04 5.3 from a Tahoe swapped in. I could not see the cats either, got under there with a flash light. But he's a good guy and keeps insisting they're there, but I can't find them.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Yes, these are not sophisticated vehicles with tons of aerodynamic and wind noise reducers covering the the entire bottom of the vehicle.

Look under your car. Can you find all of these? Hard to miss.....
I do have a big skid plate welded on, and know what a catalytic converter is, but couldn't find them either. The swap passed emissions in Utah, and the computer says the cats are there, but I can't see them either.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like they are not there.

Keep looking, cats like to hide.

I couldnt resist.
77 VW Beetle

Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

It's very likely they could be above the skidplate.... Jackson and I put together a exhaust for his 2FE equipped 60 and tucked the cats above the skidplate so they wouldnt get crunched on the trail.

Try pulling it off and see? That would make emissions go by a little easier too.
77 VW Beetle

Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowerzz View Post
I do have a big skid plate welded on, and know what a catalytic converter is, but couldn't find them either. The swap passed emissions in Utah, and the computer says the cats are there, but I can't see them either.
The skid plate is welded on???

How is that going to work when something under the truck needs repair?

Plasma cutter time?

I hope the fuel line doesn't run above it too.
TLCA #23619