Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Tacoma Lift?

I'd like to take my 2011 Tacoma wheeling once in a while, but it is stock so I need to lift it a little. I was thinking I would do a 3" OME, partly because I know the name and partly because they look to be the most reasonably priced.

I've compared what Christo has to what Toytec has and am a little confused. Christo's kit says it is a full 3" lift, but no top plate spacers, and offers a driveshaft spacer. Toytec shows a top plate spacer being required for full 3" front lift and they do not offer the driveshaft spacer. They do offer a diff drop kit, maybe that is the same thing? Christo's kit includes rear leaf springs. Toytec's shows a 2" add-a-leaf with a 1-1/2" block, with an option for replacement springs. I assume replacement springs is better?

Then, there is an option for replacement upper control arms. Is that recommended? Why? And it looks like getting the front struts & coils pre-assembled is a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Land Use Co-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I assume replacement springs is better?
I don't know much about all the rest of this stuff with newer Tacomas.

However, yes, replacement springs are always better. Blocks and AAL's are always horrible for ride quality and flex capability.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 Tacoma 4x4 4-Door -Lifted, Locked, Built. Abnormally aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Trail Ready

Driveshaft spacer lowers rear driveshaft to alleviate angles of rear driveline. Toytecs diff drop lowers the front diff to alleviate front cv angles. Typically ome is a little under 3" and toytec Pacers fills in that little bit. Toytec usually has the driveshaft spacer available separately. Rear springs recommended over add a leaf or block. And recommend new front upper control arms due to adjustability for alignment at 3". Under 2.5" not required. As for options there, the light racing ones work well and are affordable, what I'm going to when I get the money. And pre assembled will make life easier.

And for background, I did sales and support for toytec in the past, and am currently a dealer for them.

Quote:
I'd like to take my 2011 Tacoma wheeling once in a while, but it is stock so I need to lift it a little. I was thinking I would do a 3" OME, partly because I know the name and partly because they look to be the most reasonably priced.

I've compared what Christo has to what Toytec has and am a little confused. Christo's kit says it is a full 3" lift, but no top plate spacers, and offers a driveshaft spacer. Toytec shows a top plate spacer being required for full 3" front lift and they do not offer the driveshaft spacer. They do offer a diff drop kit, maybe that is the same thing? Christo's kit includes rear leaf springs. Toytec's shows a 2" add-a-leaf with a 1-1/2" block, with an option for replacement springs. I assume replacement springs is better?

Then, there is an option for replacement upper control arms. Is that recommended? Why? And it looks like getting the front struts & coils pre-assembled is a good idea.

Thanks in advance!
2002 Tacoma DCab TRD, OME suspension, 1" Daystar Bodylift, ARB front bumper, Lightforce 170's, 20" led light bar, blacked out HID bixenon projectors, Slee Sliders, 33" Yoko's on FJCruiser wheels, TRD supercharger, exhaust, and trans cooler.

to do: snorkel, roof light bar, ARB fridge mounts in bed w power, hids in LightForce
Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

Christo is selling the standard OME kit and Toytec is building their own kit. If you're going with all OME I'd probably stick with the way Christo does it. The actual amount of lift you get with OME is going to vary since it's not adjustable, so it's more like "approximately" 75mm.

The rear leaf springs are better than add-a-leaf, but Toytec does sell OME Dakar packs, so if you wanted to go with them I'm sure they can figure out a way to get them in the kit. I have personally had terrible long term (as in more than about a year) luck with AAL, they break or go flat. Toytec does sell pretty decent multi-leaf ones that aren't junk, but for the hassle and cost a pair of new springs is IMHO worth it.

FWIW, I believe the full regular duty kit is:
  • 1 x Pair OME 2885 Front Coil Springs
  • 2 x 90000 Front Nitrocharger Shocks
  • 2 x OME Dakar CS047R Rear Leafs
  • 2 x 60091 Rear Nitrocharger Shocks
  • 4 x OMEU53A U-Bolts
  • 1 x FK29 Rear Drive-Line Drop Kit
  • 1 x OMESB108 Rear Bushing Kit
The diff drop tries to keep the CV joint angles good and also compensate for a poorly executed needle bearing on the diff. Even in stock trim it can vibrate but when you lift the additional angle can make it worse. Sometimes dropping the diff helps but the better way is to replace the bearing, eliminate the bearing with the aftermarket sleeve or ask the dealer to implement TSB-0026-15, which supposedly addresses it.

The driveshaft spacer tries to prevent the rear driveshaft vibration. This is another known issue and actually impacts a fair number of stock trucks. It's likely you'd need this regardless after a lift since the u-joint angles are pushed. FWIW TSB 0016-13 deals with rear driveshaft issues, the main problem is lack of grease in the slip yoke causing vibration and clunking. As an alternate you can use wedges under the spring perches to rotate the rear axle and correct driveline angles. I have 3 degree wedges that I'm considering using but this may be too much. I've got an OME carrier bearing drop kit as well, just in case.
Quote:
Then, there is an option for replacement upper control arms. Is that recommended? Why?
The stock arms are put right at their limit of caster with about 2.5" of lift, so the steering will be a little twitchy and may wander a bit more. OME lifts are right at the limit usually, so people keep the stock arms successfully, some people don't.

Another reason to use replacement upper arms is to clear the spring and shock, but OME aren't enough larger that this is an issue. If you go with 2.5" or larger coil-overs, which use 3" springs, or remote reservoir you need additional clearance and aftermarket arms give you that.

Bottom line is that you probably don't need new upper arms with OME but having the additional alignment caster built-in is nice.
Quote:
And it looks like getting the front struts & coils pre-assembled is a good idea.
Yes, definitely.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the good information!

Old 03-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

One more person: Replace the UCAs. I did a 3" OME lift 2 years ago and just a couple weeks ago finally bought BuiltRight UCAs. MUCH better.
KEITH
Old 03-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
One more person: Replace the UCAs. I did a 3" OME lift 2 years ago and just a couple weeks ago finally bought BuiltRight UCAs. MUCH better.
Hmm. I couldn't get on to the BuiltRight site.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

You can also take a look at Wheeler's offroad for some other hints on what may work.
I have been doing some mixes of springs with Bilstein shocks and have found them to be a bit nicer(and so has some of my customers) than the OME shocks.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
You can also take a look at Wheeler's offroad for some other hints on what may work.
I have been doing some mixes of springs with Bilstein shocks and have found them to be a bit nicer(and so has some of my customers) than the OME shocks.
Hey, Robbie. Thanks. Overall ride is definitely important!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Hmm. I couldn't get on to the BuiltRight site.
I called this number: 858-408-0314 and ordered them. Found it on the Tacomaworld.com website.
KEITH