Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default New ARB Locker Won't Lock

Long Story Short:
I had an ARB installed in the front housing of my 100 by a top notch gear shop.

Drove around with the new strengthened carrier for about a year and a half now.

Finally got around to OBA and locker actuation ahead of CM.

OBA is finished and delivering pressure to the locker but it won't lock.

Any easy fixes? I'm thinking oil has been seeping past the o-rings all this time and that is causing the issue? After being installed without air for 1.5 years what could have happened? I do trust that it worked when the 3rd left the shop.

I've been thinking of trying to get it good and warmed up and keep the pressure on it but what else can I do before a tear down? I don't know if I can get away with a tear down this close to CM.

Thanks!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
Long Story Short:
I had an ARB installed in the front housing of my 100 by a top notch gear shop.

Drove around with the new strengthened carrier for about a year and a half now.

Finally got around to OBA and locker actuation ahead of CM.

OBA is finished and delivering pressure to the locker but it won't lock.

Any easy fixes? I'm thinking oil has been seeping past the o-rings all this time and that is causing the issue? After being installed without air for 1.5 years what could have happened? I do trust that it worked when the 3rd left the shop.

I've been thinking of trying to get it good and warmed up and keep the pressure on it but what else can I do before a tear down? I don't know if I can get away with a tear down this close to CM.

Thanks!
Couple of things to check.

One, when you try to engage, do you know if the air is leaking past anything? For example, if you have one of their compressors, does it run constantly, or you can often hear the air leaking out of the breather for the diff.

If its not leaking, and simply not operating, couple of issues can happen. Usually its good to lock the lockers from time to time, maybe once a month, just as good practice, as the internals get seized up when they don't move for long periods of time, especially through heat cycles.

An old friend had one seize from inoperation, because the main piston needs to move from time to time. That hopefully isn't the issue because it needs to be rebuilt if so. Its not hard to do, but it does involve pulling the locker out, and that is always a pain.

Another possibility is that something got into the line while you had it not hooked up. A piece of grime from the engine, etc..., though I assume you had it capped.

Lastly, and the easiest fix, is that your pressure switch is faulty on your OBA set up. 95-100 psi is what you want. I also have seen a guy with a bad pressure switch on an ARB pump that was faulty, and he wasn't getting enough pressure, so it wouldn't lock. Easy check as you can just disconnect from your OBA set up, and connect to something else, like your home air compressor or CO2 tank, set it to 100 psi, and try to lock.

I'm not sure the oil is the issue. Oil gets into the system, I've never seen anyones who didn't, but that doesn't mean thats the norm. Mine had oil in it. The seals are there to keep the pressure in, not the oil out. The oil won't compress, so air pushing on oil is the same as air pushing on the piston. But, I dunno, there may be some situation where the oil gets things messed up.

Good luck!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks for the tips Isaac,

I know the lines are clear as it blows like crazy with the line removed from the diff. I'm confidant that it's not leaking because the pump shuts off as expected and you get that poof when the solenoid releases the locker pressure.

I'm not using the ARB compressor, I have a Viair that runs the system up to 150psi and then I have a reg set to 95psi feeding the ARB solenoid. It is possible that that regulator has a bad gauge and I'm not delivering enough pressure, I'll check that out tonight.

I'm still hoping that getting it warm and cycling it like crazy will free it up but no luck yet....
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Sounds like a bad regulator, or at least, not calibrated. Turn it up to 105 or try the air compressor trick like Isaac suggested.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Well I drove it about 45 minutes and repeatedly cycled the solenoid hoping it would clear up but no luck so far despite getting it good and hot. Not content to just concentrate on driving, I got ARB on the phone and the tech offered another potential installation problem which is at the bulkhead; The newer design has the copper tube pass through the bulkhead and then it is sealed by an o-ring under the center compression fitting and he suggested that if overtightened the o-ring can extrude into the flow path or possibly crimp and collapse the copper tube. I'm not overly optimistic but it will be easy to check on after work. Here is the set up I'm describing:
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

The copper tube inside the diff housing is about 10" long. You might try to feed a wire down the inside of the copper tube to see how far it's clear - not that you could likely do anything about it if you found a blockage. It might knock something loose though. Good luck. When the installed the thing, did they test the function?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOtaco, post: 8681621, member: 57285
Well damnit, quit typing and tear that sucker down! If you do have to ride along for Ouray at least you won't have to worry about breakage or fuel
Your quote to me July 23, 2013, 7 days prior to 100s in the Hills last year when I broke.

Let's get into that thing this week and see what's doing!

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I got it working!

The center compression section had pushed the tubing into the housing and crushed the o-ring instead of sliding over the tubing and compression sealing the o-ring. I was able to back out the copper tube by slipping a round punch inside and pulling it out. I de-burred the end of the tube and then replaced the o-ring with something close enough for testing and it locked right up on the first try.

I don't understand what about the design keeps the tube from backing into the diff on assembly or through thermal creep. At least I know how to fix it without a full tear down....

Thanks for all the input as always,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Your quote to me July 23, 2013, 7 days prior to 100s in the Hills last year when I broke.

Let's get into that thing this week and see what's doing!
Yeah, that was me, good advice to wasn't it? You made it anyway.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
I got it working!

The center compression section had pushed the tubing into the housing and crushed the o-ring instead of sliding over the tubing and compression sealing the o-ring. I was able to back out the copper tube by slipping a round punch inside and pulling it out. I de-burred the end of the tube and then replaced the o-ring with something close enough for testing and it locked right up on the first try.
Nice fix Andy! See you next week!

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

WOW, I'm enjoying running three selectable lockers that's for sure!

Ended up going out for a last minute shake down on Saturday afternoon with the wife and dog on board. We went up to Bunce school road and ran the 216 loop. It is quite washed out after last season and there were some big drifts up high. We got a couple of chances to engage the front ARB and it works like a champ. Just passed the top of the loop I sank right into a drift that the quads had been floating over and ended up side walking a bit off trail and between some trees while trying to get moving. A few jeeping hams came by and we used their winch and a snatch block to pull me back on trail. Wrapped it up at Oscar Blues with our new pals after the recovery help. All in all it came out pretty well and was a worthwhile day that tested the new ARB, OBA, and HAM install ahead of CM.

Glad to have the Hamma bar and Gamiviti mounts on there as well, just a few more benefits of RS membership!
Attached Images