Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default install advice? 2011 Tacoma ARB Bumper

I'm going to help install an ARB bumper and winch onto my neighbor's '11 Tacoma. I've had a couple conversations, but wanted to check in. Any advice? "Gotcha's" etc??

I believe there's some trimming or cutting that has to happen? At any rate...I'd love any tips or advice to help this go smoothly.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:32 AM

This should be helpful: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...rb_bumper.html
KEITH
Old 04-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

I assume that the '11 is the same as the '06 (or close enough). If so, there's no cutting or welding needed for extra support like in the above link. I did one years ago and it was very straight forward. Here's what I remember...

- remove the grille - I think there are some screws and plastic clips
- remove the plastic lower bumper cover (unplug the fog lights and secure the harnesses). Just peek around from behind to see how it mounts and remove screws.
- there is an existing aluminum bumper to remove.
- then you build up the ARB bumper supports, which mount to the frame using existing holes
- once the supports are in place, you do the heavy lifting and put the bumper on the supports. You'll need at least two people for this, and if you have a winch mounted to the bumper a third person helps.
(note that you aren't mounting a winch today, but maybe in the future, you can stuff a M8000 up onto the winch plate from below without removing the bumper.)

After that it's just a matter of bolting the bumper to the supports and installing the bash plate. I think you have to drill a couple of holes toward the end for final alignment of the bumper on the supports - bigger holes but I don't remember the size. Piece of cake if you can turn a wrench. ARB probably has some downloadable instructions somewhere on the webs...
Old 04-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Have fun - its wrenching season!

I wired in your SPDT switch for the backup lights. Works great.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
If so, there's no cutting or welding needed for extra support like in the above link.
On the first gen Taco and 3rd gen 4Runner there is a crush can bracket that you install. Some people take the opportunity to weld frame extensions to solidify the front ends of the frame horns. But AFAIK it's not strictly necessary. This of course has no bearing on the later 2nd gens like Shawn is working on.

On my truck I wouldn't have had to do any trimming or cutting of sheet metal, it would have been a completely bolt-on affair even electrically since my turn signals mounted right in. You do have to trim a corner of the plastic inner fender liner to match the angle of the bumper. That was no problem with a utility knife. However I did have to trim the bumper around the Total Chaos idler arm, which mounts in a non-standard way and uses what they saw as an unused hole to increase strength. ARB also tried to take advantage of this captured nut, so I decided to give it to the idler arm (which went from 2 stock to 3 with the TC) instead of the bumper (which lost one of the dozen or more bolts it used, probably acceptable).

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler