Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cutting the cord!

I recently canceled my Xfinity cable subscription. We didn't really use it much, and I really only enjoyed 2-3 shows that were on the air this year. Outside of sports (which being from the south I have to go to a Bar to see normally) I don't see too many downsides. I wanted to talk logistics with a few people though, has anyone else done this? I want to be able to watch downloaded content on my tv without directly hooking up my laptop. What I'm thinking is chromecast on the tv(s) with a chromebook using a wireless harddrive for movie streaming. Thoughts?

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Lifted

Get a chromecast! They are awesome. Stream Netflix from your Phone, iPad, and Laptop while still being able to surf Rising Sun!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I am interested as well but would like to know the free ones (or how much the others are if reasonable). YouTube has a ton of free shows now and I was surprised to see 4K content as well.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Trail Ready

We cut the cord 2+ years ago. Still have high speed & stream netflix via apple tv. We also bought a $30 antenna from best buy for the local stations. I don't miss regular tv AT ALL.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Trail Ready

I have a Samsung smart tv connected directly to my router, and I have no cable or dish. I have a small HD antenna that I use to watch sports, and it works perfect and is invisible. I don't get all the channels sometimes, but if I pull it out of the cabinet and use a suction cup to put it on the window I can get 50+ over the air channels. I only do that temporarily of course, but you could easily find a way to permanently mount one (outdoors is ideal). I live in a condo building, so I don't want to put anything outside my unit. I watch Netflix, HuluPlus, and youtube for basically all my entertainment needs which I find to be MORE than enough. I'm shocked how much cool content there is on youtube, and when I have friends over we pass around the keyboard to pull up funny/cool videos which is pretty entertaining!

I pay roughly $55 a month for my internet and subscriptions which is down from around $150 a month in the past when I had cable. It's pretty easy math to show the savings in the long run. In fact just one year of savings is enough to buy a pretty decent smart tv! Here's a picture of my setup while using the HD antenna. It shows how good the picture is in even locked inside the cabinet!
Attached Images

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think we are going to do the same for the summer. But come football season I got to have my Direct Ticket back

hard to save money by going to the bar to watch them after food and drinks.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Haven't had cable in... I can't even remember. We are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, so use a Apple TV for Netflix, iTunes movies and shows, and streaming music from phones or computers. Works great. Haven't ever missed cable.
KEŘITH
Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calphi27 View Post
We cut the cord 2+ years ago. Still have high speed & stream netflix via apple tv. We also bought a $30 antenna from best buy for the local stations. I don't miss regular tv AT ALL.
Trying to avoid Apple TV due to not having any apple devices (Besides the GF's iPhone) I want to be able to play downloaded content, not just stream which is the kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSN View Post
I have a Samsung smart tv connected directly to my router, and I have no cable or dish. I have a small HD antenna that I use to watch sports, and it works perfect and is invisible. I don't get all the channels sometimes, but if I pull it out of the cabinet and use a suction cup to put it on the window I can get 50+ over the air channels. I only do that temporarily of course, but you could easily find a way to permanently mount one (outdoors is ideal). I live in a condo building, so I don't want to put anything outside my unit. I watch Netflix, HuluPlus, and youtube for basically all my entertainment needs which I find to be MORE than enough. I'm shocked how much cool content there is on youtube, and when I have friends over we pass around the keyboard to pull up funny/cool videos which is pretty entertaining!

I pay roughly $55 a month for my internet and subscriptions which is down from around $150 a month in the past when I had cable. It's pretty easy math to show the savings in the long run. In fact just one year of savings is enough to buy a pretty decent smart tv! Here's a picture of my setup while using the HD antenna. It shows how good the picture is in even locked inside the cabinet!
Very nice! I'm trying to avoid buying a new TV ( I have an older Visio I bought one summer in College) and the built in firm-ware leaves a little to be desired as far as UI and updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I think we are going to do the same for the summer. But come football season I got to have my Direct Ticket back

hard to save money by going to the bar to watch them after food and drinks.
This is my issues as well, but I'll cross that road when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Haven't had cable in... I can't even remember. We are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, so use a Apple TV for Netflix, iTunes movies and shows, and streaming music from phones or computers. Works great. Haven't ever missed cable.
Apple TV is a great option, but to my knowledge you can't watch anything you dont' buy on iTunes, which is 99.9% of my collection

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Lifted

We cut the cord a few months ago. I really like the costs savings. I was a little nervous at first about missing some of my favorite shows but now not having it I have noticed I don't miss it at the least bit. In fact I like it much more. Broudcast tv has plenty to offer and the picture quality is great.We still have internet with netflix and chromecast so I can still watch just about anything I want to watch. I wish that I would've cut the cord sooner!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I havent had "TV" in nearly a decade. We stream pretty much everything we want to watch on our iMac, tablets, phones, etc through Netflix and Amazon Prime. I also take advantage of grabbing torrents of my favorite shows within an hour or so of them playing live. Going the torrent route also gets you access to the best British and Australian programing. check out Transmission for handle Torrents.

been grabing all of my TV content via torrent
TLCA #22702