Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
Outside of sports (which being from the south I have to go to a Bar to see normally) I don't see too many downsides.
This is the only gotcha from my perspective as well, otherwise its a no-brainer. I grew up in the South too, so come September my brain is pre-programmed to require an influx of college football games.

This thread also has some good info about cutting out cable.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

For those of you streaming and downloading what are your download upload speeds and cost? Are you doing all of this over WIFI?

I am paying Centurylink $30 a month for ~ 20 down/ 896 up.

I too would like to cut the cord "257 channels and there is nothing on".
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
No mods yet, work in progress.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Stopped paying for TV many years ago, probably around 2007 or so.

At the old house we had a 40Mbps/5Mbps Qwest DSL but up here our neighborhood can't get more than 7Mbps via Centurylink, so we have Comcast cable Internet, 30Mbps/5Mbps at the moment. We pay about $80 a month but that's for business class because when we set it up she was working at home full time. Now that she's got an office I suppose we could go to residential cable Internet, but having one period of about 3 hours when it was out in the last 2 years I'm in no hurry to change it.

We use a Roku box to transverse the Internet-TV link via 2.4GHz WiFi. It has no trouble keeping up with any stream including HD. This handles Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle and Hulu. We have an antenna on the roof for local stations.

The only thing I haven't been able to get it to do is stream directly from the Internet, so no live TV or anything. There's probably a way to hack it but in stock form it can't get directly to the web, there's no browser built-in or a 3rd party application that I can find.

So I use an old XP laptop that I connect to with remote desktop. It works but is kind of clunky.

If I was starting fresh I would personally skip the Roku, Apple TV or Chromecast and just build a dedicated Linux streaming box to run the TV. It could serve not only anything from the web with a real browser but could also be a media storage so that music and movies wouldn't consume WiFi bandwidth and it could also be a DVR.

For non-Broncos football, it's the local bar. Since I want to watch the Buffs and they are /never/ on broadcast TV that's not a difficult habit to get into. We usually hit one of our many microbreweries and since they don't serve food they don't mind us bringing food. Everyone shares their salsa and pretzels, anyway.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Stopped paying for TV many years ago, probably around 2007 or so.

At the old house we had a 40Mbps/5Mbps Qwest DSL but up here our neighborhood can't get more than 7Mbps via Centurylink, so we have Comcast cable Internet, 30Mbps/5Mbps at the moment. We pay about $80 a month but that's for business class because when we set it up she was working at home full time. Now that she's got an office I suppose we could go to residential cable Internet, but having one period of about 3 hours when it was out in the last 2 years I'm in no hurry to change it.

We use a Roku box to transverse the Internet-TV link via 2.4GHz WiFi. It has no trouble keeping up with any stream including HD. This handles Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle and Hulu. We have an antenna on the roof for local stations.

The only thing I haven't been able to get it to do is stream directly from the Internet, so no live TV or anything. There's probably a way to hack it but in stock form it can't get directly to the web, there's no browser built-in or a 3rd party application that I can find.

So I use an old XP laptop that I connect to with remote desktop. It works but is kind of clunky.

If I was starting fresh I would personally skip the Roku, Apple TV or Chromecast and just build a dedicated Linux streaming box to run the TV. It could serve not only anything from the web with a real browser but could also be a media storage so that music and movies wouldn't consume WiFi bandwidth and it could also be a DVR.

For non-Broncos football, it's the local bar. Since I want to watch the Buffs and they are /never/ on broadcast TV that's not a difficult habit to get into. We usually hit one of our many microbreweries and since they don't serve food they don't mind us bringing food. Everyone shares their salsa and pretzels, anyway.
I thought about building a dedicated computer (linux or otherwise) into each TV as well, but there are a few issues there. 1) I dont' want to have to build 2x computers and the cost is prohibitive. I can get 2x chrome books, and 2x chrome casts for each part of my house and still come out ahead. Then I could watch TV in bed or garage or whatever as well.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have the Roku3 and an old Boxee Box. I use them both all the time. The Roku3 works great for all the streaming content. The Boxee Box will play virtually any downloaded content in any format which is why I still use it.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by akingf5371 View Post
I thought about building a dedicated computer (linux or otherwise) into each TV as well, but there are a few issues there. 1) I dont' want to have to build 2x computers and the cost is prohibitive. I can get 2x chrome books, and 2x chrome casts for each part of my house and still come out ahead. Then I could watch TV in bed or garage or whatever as well.
Understandable. We have just one TV so we don't have this problem. :-) One thing you notice is that when you don't have cable/satellite you start to realize that since there's nothing on there's no point to bothering with the idiot box in the first place. We spend more time cracking books and doing actually productive stuff... Some newer TV can get on your WiFi without any additional hardware so maybe they can see whatever box you build natively and maybe get onto the Internet as well? That might remove some of the need to build boxes for each TV.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInDenver View Post
For those of you streaming and downloading what are your download upload speeds and cost? Are you doing all of this over WIFI?

I am paying Centurylink $30 a month for ~ 20 down/ 896 up.

I too would like to cut the cord "257 channels and there is nothing on".
This is my exact setup with Century like - same plan same cost same speeds. I can stream 1080p movies all day long with no lag or no problems. I don't connect over wifi however I use a direct connection to the back of the tv, but I doubt I'd have a problem using a wifi connection.

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Good points made here. I'll will keep you updated with what I end up doing!

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

We've been done with Cable for 3 years. Netflix, and Apple TV and we have plenty of things to waste time watching.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

So, I got chromecast installed on the TV in the upstairs part of the house. It is an older tube tv so I had to buy an adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I know $31 is a little expensive for an old TV, but it's cheaper than buying a new one!. It works great! I had a little issue with wi-fi strength as the modem/router is downstairs, but once I moved it closer to the floor it worked fine. I'm still going to go the chrome/windows book and wireless harddrive for downloaded content, I just need to find a player that chromecasts.