Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

I like the BG product's idea of the UV protectant. May have to give that a go.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Since the last thread I have done a few headlights and have found that using the UV protectant is key. I'm not sure which kit has the best uv protectant but the last one I used was a turtle wax one and it has done OK. They all seem to have similar sand paper/buffing pads/compound, so I just got the cheapest that had UV protectant. I'll try the BG products one next just to see. I think that either way it is a once every few years thing no matter what.
82 FJ40
Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Lifted

What I have been doing with plastic lenses that works great is use whatever kit you like to sand down the lights or just use old fashion sandpaper and then wetsand with 1000 or 1500 to get them smooth. Once done sanding clean the surface with an alcohol pad.

Now instead of polishing to get them clear again or using the wipe on stuff I apply a spray automotive clear coat which has better UV protection than the wipe on stuff you get with the kits and goes on much smoother. As you spray it turns the hazed plastic very clear but not perfect. Probably better than the wipe on stuff in my opinion but thats just been my experience.

Once dry in 24 hours or so I polish them and they look like glass and remain that way for years due to the actual clear coat on there.

I have tried many of the wipe on coatings etc but none look as good as a proper spray clear coat and then polish. They generally look brand new when done.
S4 avant