Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default The road to titling my trailer

I bought a 1943 T3 military trailer last year, and am finally ready to get plates on it. The PO didn't have the title, but had expired Colorado plates attached to the trailer, so I know it had the credentials to be registered here. I'm planning on going to the State Patrol VIN identification to get the serial number recorded, and get the background check to start the registration process.

Just looking for some direction from those who have gone through the process I'm about to start.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Easy way is to get the PO to obtain a duplicate title
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
Easy way is to get the PO to obtain a duplicate title
Sascha, why on Earth would I want to do anything easy?? I tried to look up the PO to do just that, but apparently he moved to New Mexico. I think if he was unwilling to obtain a title for the sale here, there's no way I'll be able to get him to get it done from another state. The purchase price was good enough that I figured jumping through bureaucratic fiery hoops would be tolerable, and so here I am today.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Completed step one Saturday with a trip to the State Troopers campus in Golden for a VIN Identification, and certificate the trailer is road worthy. Pretty painless ordeal, but got there about an hour before the inspections started because the Saturday inspections are first come, first served. They stop at 12:30, and if you aren't getting your inspection, you're out of luck. I was about 10th in line then, with the inspections taking about 10 minutes or so each. When I left, there were about 15 people still in line.

My next step involves getting a certified trailer weight, and heading down to another State office for a VIN background check, where previous owners are looked up as well as looking for any current liens on the trailer. I'll then send certified letters to the people on the list to inform them of my intent to title the trailer in my name.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Curious why you didn't just register it as a homemade trailer. I bought a old M416 a few months back and that is what I was going to do. There is an old vin from another state loosely attached to the back but I don't think there are any other identifying marks (that I am aware of) so I am not sure how they would track anything.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

I probably could have tried to register it as home made...but it still has the original Bantam plate still attached to the trailer with all the data history. Serial number, delivery date (3-17-43), weight, etc. I really like that, and want to keep it attached. I could have removed it, and replaced it, but just want to keep the registration to match the trailer.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtnkegger View Post
I probably could have tried to register it as home made...but it still has the original Bantam plate still attached to the trailer with all the data history. Serial number, delivery date (3-17-43), weight, etc. I really like that, and want to keep it attached. I could have removed it, and replaced it, but just want to keep the registration to match the trailer.
Good luck! I hope the homemade process is pretty easy for my own sake.
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

From what I understand, it is. The Troopers will inspect, and then assign a state issued VIN for your trailer. You will need a trailer weight for the process as well, but you will eliminate the need for a VIN background check.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Good luck! I hope the homemade process is pretty easy for my own sake.
In Broomfield, I walked in to our DMV and told them I bought a trailer without a title. Lady said...just register it as home-made. Ten minutes later I walked out with plate/tags...never even showed a picture of a trailer! I guess paying crazy-high Broomfield taxes has a few advantages!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, well, well...Guess I'm Mr. Lucky. Went to the State Dept. of Revenue for my VIN background check, and came back with nothing. No previous owners, no liens,...NOTHING!!

I asked the Clerk, "Is that a good thing?"
"I would think so," she replied "at least there's no one to write letters to."
"What's my next step? The paperwork isn't too clear"
"Go to the County, and apply for a title"

So, feeling pretty good about the information, and already in the right frame of mind to wait in bureaucratic lines, so off to the DMV I went.

After finally getting to my station with paperwork in hand, and offering to the Clerk, he says, "You won't get your title here...but will be mailed to you in about two weeks. Would you like your plates now?"

What a great thing to hear!! Looks like I'll be using the trailer for camping this summer after all!

My guess is, the state issued plates to the previous owner maybe as a home made trailer, and issued a state VIN, and registered the trailer under that number. Since the VIN identification was done with the original serial number on the trailer ID plate, and background check done on the original number, the background check came back with nothing.

I had the old plates from the PO and the purchase at every step, and no one cared to run a check on them. Anyway, looks like it's all moot. I have my plates!