Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Favorite camping meals!

So at the post meeting beer time Tim, Stan, Art and I were talking about our favorite camping meals. The middle ground of quick, easy and fancy seemed to be common. I'll kick it off with a couple of my favorites.

I prepackage all this stuff:

Roasted beets. Boil beets for 30 min, peel and slice (like you would an apple) place 1/2 the beet in its own aluminum foil with 2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs shredded horseradish with a sprig of thyme. Wrap it up loosely. When camping nestle it in the embers to heat 10-15 min. Open enjoy!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver

Last edited by Squishy!; 06-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

For dessert wrap a banana marshmallows Reese's in foil. Heat in campfire enjoy!

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Dinty Moore and minute rice

Brats
tritip
brats
steak
brats
chicken
brats

every once in a while some asparagus is good
TLCA#4180
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 PM
Lifted

Cook a box of macaroni noodles, add a can of chili, top with cheese.

It's not gourmet but it's easy!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

The whole premises behind our conversation last night was becoming more elaborate with our meals. I actually enjoy cooking and do most of the meals for my family. This year I want to make a point of trying to get to camp earlier and go beyond basic camp food (burgers/brats)

More unique meals with more fresh ingredients. It makes planning/packing a little more difficult and it's not for every trip, but it adds some new fun to basic camping.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
The whole premises behind our conversation last night was becoming more elaborate with our meals. I actually enjoy cooking and do most of the meals for my family. This year I want to make a point of trying to get to camp earlier and go beyond basic camp food (burgers/brats)

More unique meals with more fresh ingredients. It makes planning/packing a little more difficult and it's not for every trip, but it adds some new fun to basic camping.

/\ this.

Ashley and I love to cook so easy gourmet is the ticket. Be creative people!

Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Start using a camp oven. It's easy to make quite good meals easily. We use a 12" and an 8", always looking for a decent 10" to add to the quiver. Those along with our 3-burner Coleman and matching griddle and we can feed an army without too much difficulty. Oh, and a fridge and you're good for a week off grid. Soggy meat, no thanks.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Easy Chicken & Rice

1 cup long grain rice
8 to 10 boneless chicken thighs
1 package dry Onion Soup mix
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Pour rice into oven
Put chicken on top of rice
Mix dry soup mix with 2 cups of water, broth and soup
Pour over chicken

Cook 1 hour with 15 coals under and 7 on top of a 12" oven

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 06-05-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Start using a camp oven. It's easy to make quite good meals easily. We use a 12" and an 8", always looking for a decent 10" to add to the quiver. Those along with our 3-burner Coleman and matching griddle and we can feed an army without too much difficulty. Oh, and a fridge and you're good for a week off grid. Soggy meat, no thanks.

Recipes! I like the camping oven idea, but I'm a campfire cooker as much as possible. Less to bring with me. Here's another recipe:

1lbs Precut pork fillets
Lemon
Lime
Carrots
Green beans
Salt
pepper

Quarter the pork add a wedge of lemon and wedge of lime to each quarter. Cut carrots into rounds and add all ingredients into a foil wrap and salt and pepper to your liking. Place in bright orange embers for 5-8 min and move to slightly orange for 10-15 min.

Yummmmmmmmmm

Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup crown sugar
1 20oz can of pineapple slices (save juice)
8 cherries (pitted or use canned maraschino)
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup water

Melt butter in camp oven
Sprinkle in brown sugar, place pineapple slices over brown sugar with a cherry in the middle of each
Mix cake mix, eggs, water and pineapple juice
Spoon mix over pineapple slices

Cook for about 30 minutes with 6 coals under, 18 or so on top of 12"

When done, put tray on top of oven and carefully flip, the whole cake should fall out.