Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,522
Default

Camp Breakfast

2 lbs sausage
2 lbs has brown potatoes
8 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup of water or milk
2 cups shredded cheese

Prepare bed of coals and place 12" oven on top
Fry sausage, remove and drain
Using sausage oil brown hash browns and spread evenly in oven
Replace sausage and add eggs
Top with cheese

Cook 15 to 20 minutes with 8 coals under, 16 on top, until eggs are done
__________________
'91 Toyota Pickup
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,522
Default

BTW, all these recipes are for 6 to 8 people.
__________________
'91 Toyota Pickup
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM
DanInDenver DanInDenver is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 30
Default

Diced potatoes, scrambled eggs, ham, cheddar cheese. All in the same pan cooked over a fire. Mom made it for me and my seven siblings on our camping trips. I now make it for my kids.
__________________
TLCA#22277
2000 LX470 152k
No mods yet, work in progress.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,522
Default

One Pot Salmon, Rice and Peas

1 cup long grain rice
2-1/4 cups water
1 lbs salmon filet, skinned and cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
4 oz fresh green peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 green onions, cut into small pieces
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
Salt & Pepper

Mix soy sauce, ginger, sugar and green onions (done ahead at home)
Put rice and water into camp oven
Place over bed of coals, boil until rice absorbs all the water, about 10 to 15 minutes usually

Move coals from under oven
Add salmon, salted & peppered to taste
Cover with peas and pour sauce over all

Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes in an 8" oven with 16 to 20 coals on top (enough to completely cover) until salmon is flaky. You have to watch this every few minutes to prevent overcooking. This will feed 2 to 3.
__________________
'91 Toyota Pickup
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-05-2014, 05:12 PM
coax's Avatar
coax coax is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Estes Park
Posts: 619
Default

More of a breakfast but I love to do Juevos Rancheros in a Dutch Oven. Line the bottom with corn tortillas, fill with a mix of eggs, tomatoes, beans, cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Great for feeding lots of people, just takes a while to cook. Slows down the pace and makes you relax
__________________
-Corey
'97 lx450, 170k, factory lockers, ome 850/863, 285's, 4 working doors(1 more than the old fj55 )
'74 project pig (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Beachboy Beachboy is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Castle Rock, CO.
Posts: 140
Default

Garlic shrimp or lobster.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM
kurtnkegger's Avatar
kurtnkegger kurtnkegger is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver Burbs
Posts: 257
Default

Carolyn pre-makes these, and brings them along camping...they are fantastic!

Thin sliced steak she gets at Kings..usually 5 to a pack season the steaks with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley

lay Fresh spinach, thinly sliced onion, pepperjack cheese, and thinly sliced mushroom on the meat slices

roll the meat and goodies tightly. She rolls the smaller tip first to keep the goodies better consealed in the steak.

Wrap the meat with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

We put the open foil wrap on a grate on the fire and cook till bacon crisps, and meat is cooked.

Good stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Fishy's Avatar
Fishy Fishy is offline
Rising Sun Event Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,307
Default

^Stealing this one! That sounds amazing.
__________________
Stan
UZJ100 (Non-White Edition)

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Squishy!'s Avatar
Squishy! Squishy! is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,089
Default Favorite camping meals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtnkegger View Post
Carolyn pre-makes these, and brings them along camping...they are fantastic!



Thin sliced steak she gets at Kings..usually 5 to a pack season the steaks with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley



lay Fresh spinach, thinly sliced onion, pepperjack cheese, and thinly sliced mushroom on the meat slices



roll the meat and goodies tightly. She rolls the smaller tip first to keep the goodies better consealed in the steak.



Wrap the meat with bacon and secure with a toothpick.



We put the open foil wrap on a grate on the fire and cook till bacon crisps, and meat is cooked.



Good stuff!
Easy to pre-prep and just throw on the fire. My kind of camping meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
More of a breakfast but I love to do Juevos Rancheros in a Dutch Oven. Line the bottom with corn tortillas, fill with a mix of eggs, tomatoes, beans, cheese, peppers, onions, etc. Great for feeding lots of people, just takes a while to cook. Slows down the pace and makes you relax
Never thought of juevos rancheros camping. Why haven't I!?!? It's my hands-down favorite breakfast!



Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
One Pot Salmon, Rice and Peas

1 cup long grain rice
2-1/4 cups water
1 lbs salmon filet, skinned and cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
4 oz fresh green peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 green onions, cut into small pieces
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs grated ginger
Salt & Pepper

Mix soy sauce, ginger, sugar and green onions (done ahead at home)
Put rice and water into camp oven
Place over bed of coals, boil until rice absorbs all the water, about 10 to 15 minutes usually

Move coals from under oven
Add salmon, salted & peppered to taste
Cover with peas and pour sauce over all

Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes in an 8" oven with 16 to 20 coals on top (enough to completely cover) until salmon is flaky. You have to watch this every few minutes to prevent overcooking. This will feed 2 to 3.
The cooking in one pot makes up for the slightly higher complexity. Sounds great!

These are my favorites so far and we'll be using them for sure! The library begins! Looks like I'll be squeezing a Dutch Oven into my camping gear...
__________________
-Justin Morgan,

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Keith's Avatar
Keith Keith is offline
Locked
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 249
Default

__________________
____________________
05 Double Cab Tacoma
64 FJ40
KEŘITH
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.