Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 06-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Timing belt party?

How much interest would there be in a timing belt party? I know it requires having multiple vehicles at 90k intervals, but if we could at least get two trucks it'd be worth it. I know my way around 3vz 5vz and the uz motors and would be happy to assist. I'm sure there are other folks that would be able to help out too. For the full shebang (timing belt, drive belts, water pump, idler bearings, coolant, tstat, and oil seals) it ran about $500 from Stevinson on a 5VZ.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would be in. My lx470 is coming up on 180k. I was going to do the belt on my own but a wrenching day would be fun.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have thinking about doing my 88 mini since it only has 161k on the original belt. if I can muster up $500 bucks for parts I'm in.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

I might be in. I have, as my teenage daughters say, a crapton (pronounced "crap-ton", which apparently is a significant quantity) of projects and they're piling up. But if I can save a few bills with some more experienced folks I may be willing to crack into this.

80 needs brakes, suspension, birfs (at some point), as well as some want-to-do items (rust repair, various welding jobs), and the 99 T4R needs the timing belt, pulley, water pump service.

The 80 gets most of his next week before Argentine. Birfs and rust repair to follow.

If the timing belt party is late July-ish I am more likely in. No way before that.
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

So I'm thinking late July as well. Unfortunately I will not be able to host. Anyone have a good space for multiple trucks?

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-23-2014, 05:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have tons of space but we'd need to run extension cords for power. It's all outdoors, too. My place isn't ideal but it's available if there isn't a better option.
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a three car garage that we can use. Justin, how much time are you thinking it would take a novice to get through the service? Also, I welded up an SST for holding the harmonic balancer when TheBoomBoom did the timing belt on his 5VZ - do you know if the holes (to secure the sst to the balancer) are the same distance apart from each other on the 2UZ?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Timing belt party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
I have tons of space but we'd need to run extension cords for power. It's all outdoors, too. My place isn't ideal but it's available if there isn't a better option.
Appreciated. It can be done with mostly hand tools, but I'll bring my compressor and IR air tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I have a three car garage that we can use. Justin, how much time are you thinking it would take a novice to get through the service?
4 hrs for the 5VZ and longer for a UZ. The V8s are tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Also, I welded up an SST for holding the harmonic balancer when TheBoomBoom did the timing belt on his 5VZ - do you know if the holes (to secure the sst to the balancer) are the same distance apart from each other on the 2UZ?
No idea, but I have a long chain wrench that holds better than anything.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

The only other thing I'm worried about is coolant disposal. I'd like to make sure we're able to dispose of all of it properly.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
4 hrs for the 5VZ and longer for a UZ. The V8s are tricky...
Cool. I don't want to end up with a working session that runs longer than a day. Perhaps I'll pull my 2UZ out of the party to make room for another. These wrenching sessions are a bunch of fun and great learning experience but it gets stressful (to me) when they run much longer than expected. I can still host in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
The only other thing I'm worried about is coolant disposal. I'd like to make sure we're able to dispose of all of it properly.
I replaced a thermostat housing O ring on the LX a couple of months ago and Groove accepted my old coolant.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941