Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Trail Ready

Default Git off my land! Problems with Trespassers

So Boulder County put a scenic overlook spot right next to our property up in the mountains. Since 36 is being worked on, traffic has increase significantly on the hwy that runs by it. With more traffic, more people have stopped at the overlook.

However I was up last weekend and notice 3 well worn trails leading from the overlook, two of which go right into our land. The fence has been cut in two places as well. Does anyone have any advice besides posting some signs, & fixing the fence?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

game camera's. That way you can at least get a photo of the folks. But definitely post signs. There is a reg with regard to a min distance between signs.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

They cut your Fence, that sucks. Any way that would be harm in my book. Here in Boulder county, people can trespass if they do not harm and when caught, and you ask them to leave, They leave. But with a fence, they should not be traveling beyond. This is a fence out state Believe me when I say, I do not like how this county protects people that trespass and not give you the time of day. Do not chase them with a gun, you could be put behind bars for a couple of different charges( or so I have been told by County Sheriff's deputies.
I would place signs within eye sight of each other, but according to a LEO this last weekend, a sign every 1/4 mile is the min. Then as it was suggested a game camera to catch people. Call the County Sheriff's each time something has happened. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Was there an old hiking trail under dispute on you land? or a easement of some sort in this area? if so, it might be tough to get the county to go along with you. This county sucks when it comes to what I consider land owner rights.
Of course, I only am talking from experience and talking with LEO that have come up to handle neighbor complaints I have had to deal with. I am tired of my neighbors.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thinking on it, a game camera is only as good as if you can identify the person in the picture. Or maybe one that takes pictures of the over look and then another in different places. It might be a big time suck. Just a picture of the person may not be enough, how will you find them?
Tough place to be in.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Trail Ready

Unfortunately, they would probably snag the game camera. There has never been a trail until this year when the traffic count shot up with 36 being under construction. I didn't know about the sign distances. I have about 5 up over 100 yards. I looked for the law on it, but didn't see it.

I emailed CDOT since it is on a State highway. Hopefully they can point me in the right direction at least. We did think about putting an wire up with an fake electric fence sign.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Or real electric fence and no sign?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!