Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Cool The Vinyl Thread

I'm going to start a new thread because the old one is ostensibly about my old Dual turntable. This one will be a more general thread about all thing vinyl.

First up, this articlea about "hot stampers":
Why Audiophiles Are Paying $1,000 For This Man's Vinyl
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Should preface my reply in that I consider myself a practical audiophile, more about about the content when I spend my music budget. Which is partially why I have to DIY much of my hardware.

I guess you can't take it with you. Seems to me he's taking advantage of people who've gone off their rockers, but I guess what's collectible has always be subject to popular whim. In any case, hot stamping is pretty much snake oil (or worse) in my opinion. I'll pay a few bucks more to the record store for a known good copy but I'm talking like $50. Once the price goes north of about $25 I'm more likely to spend it on a new record from a contemporary band in any case.

Anyone familiar with how records used to be made and mastered would know that in a lot of cases the first pressings were done on Dynagroove machines and often are the worst sounding ones on modern turntables. They were mastered for the average record player found in the 1960s and 1970s, which were pretty lousy in comparison to even a $400 'table now. The later pressings or reissues are less harsh.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

We either get our records from the $1 or $5 bin at the store or occasionally buy a "nice" one from an online source if I can't find it in the store. My top dollar is like Dave, I'll give $40-$50 for a new nice copy but usually like to limit myself so more like $20-$30.

I'm not lucky enough to have inherited the collection Dad has (well he offered but my listening to records has rekindled his interest so I want so see him enjoy his) or have my own, so I have to buy.

I'f I had that kind of coin to spend on records I'd probably build another amp instead. I feel like the Tube amp provides much more enjoyment than a fancy pressing but that's just me.
82 FJ40
Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

I buy lots of $1 thrift store records, too, but I'll spend a few bucks at the shop for a record with listening notes or for new records for current bands. Most of the time a new LP is about $15 to $20 and I'm happy to pay it so an artist can keep on keeping on. Robert Plant doesn't see one penny from the hot stamper's inflated prices and even if he did he doesn't need it.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

I guess its because I'm kind of tone deaf but I've never felt that a record offers better sound? I've always preferred the sound of a CD? Maybe I just never had that good of turn table. Just the one my dad bought in the 60's granted I know he dropped some money on it way back then.

That said I definitely noticed an improvement in sound from my new Yamaha R-S700 receiver over my older Yamaha.

But will I ever spend that kind of money on a black frisbee, hell no.

And if anyone wants some authentic 60's sound (crappy) I have a pair of Sansui SP-200 speakers that could be had for a case of beer. One speaker needs a replacement woofer though. Happy to get them out of the garage.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

CDs are convenient and I still buy tons of them. Vinyl sales are one spot of growth many bands still have to be selective about media and almost everyone can play CDs so that is often where they spend their money. They're easy to transport, easy to sell at the show, etc. So I end up mostly with CDs of new and touring bands.

I also don't happen to find them offensive sounding like dyed in the wool audiophiles. However, that said, they don't sound the same as vinyl. Is it better or worse? That's in the eye of the beholder ultimately.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

i have a box of records...i will gladly sell the entire box for $1000
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

I love records.
I don't have high end gear but good enough to hear the difference ..I still love the sound. Always have. My dad had a nice collection I grew up with and played a ton..my sister and I.

anyway just came into a couple boxes from my boss at work..widely varied collection. From jazz to poppiest of the 80s pop
To some really great classic country (George jones hank williams cash etc)
Then it shifts to nicely preserved ac/dc and metallica aerosmith and queen et al that sound perfect..beatles and elton john and ccr.. sinatra and ms streisand..really wide variety... been a fun coupla weeks going through it.

Name:  records2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  records1.jpg
Size:  60.2 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Haha just found in the styx album was the original wall poster that looks like its never seen the light of day...too funny

Name:  styx.jpg
Size:  56.0 KB
Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Awesome Styx poster. I had that logo as a belt buckle in high school.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.