Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Pearl Pass

Ok, looking for some feedback as well as tossing out an open invite if anyone wants to join for a leg of the trip.

A buddy and I are headed to Crested Butte on Aug 28. We thought we would make a day out of it and head over Pearl Pass from Aspen. Of course that all depends on whether it is open by then, which at this point is still questionable. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Does anyone know roughly how long it will take to get from Aspen to Crested Butte over Pearl?
2. I have never run this trail. Trail Damage rates it 4-6. Anyone have any experience they can share on how difficult it is.
3. Does anyone want to go? We would leave Denver in the morning.

Planning on heading home on Saturday Aug 30, possible Sunday. For the trip home, the thought was to head up Italian Creek toward Taylor. We would probably stop some along the way or at Taylor to do a little fishing, but would like to be back in Denver that night.

This trail seems pretty moderate, especially if you stay on the Lower Reno Divide trail. Anyone have any thoughts on this segment? Would anyone like to join.

Appreciate any feedback anyone has.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Went from Aspen to within 3 switch backs of the pass- blocked by snow. Trail wasn't bad; rented jeep rubicon did fine. Took us an hour to get to that point. Wish I could go...
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hi Justin, I did Pearl pass probably over 20 years ago from Crested Butte to Aspen. It is a long trail 40 miles, I think it might have taken me 5-6 hours. I did it in my 88 pick up with open diffs and 30-9.50's muds. very rocky just long. Lonely trail, I did it mid week and saw one person on bicycle on the beginning of the Butte side and never saw another person all the way to Aspen. A fews years later my wife and I did Itallian creek also and it was another very long trail, well worth the time. You will enjoy both,but allow a day for each trail. Dan
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

As long as its open, it is a pretty tame trail, given the stats of your rig in your signature. It does not require a locker.

I've been over a couple times, but always took a whole day (hiked, picnicked, enjoyed the stunning scenery), so I cannot comment on the minimum time to get over it.

Keep in mind that it can always change every year after the snow/runoff, so what it was last year is not guaranteed to be what it is this year. I add that as a disclaimer, as I haven't been there this year.

It is a great drive though, and I highly recommend it!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Its been since 2001 for me, but not difficult. Beautiful
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the replies. I wonder why the Wells book rates it as difficult. I guess he is just extra conservative or maybe just rating it relative to a stock SUV.

Justin

Last edited by Bruiser; 07-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been wanting to do Pearl Pass since I live so close but the snow this winter was heavier than recent years. I might make a run at it before you get there and I may try to join you for a leg of the trip. I'll give you an update if I can. As of a month ago, at a lower elevation, Aspen Mountain Road and Richmond Hill were still impassible.

1988 FJ62 "Burt," built by amateurs with a BFH and duct tape; SOA, stretched, 5.29 gears, ARB locked front, lockrite rear, chromoly shafts/hubs, rear disk brakes, transfer case e-brake, 6-shooters, custom protection/rear bumper, modified tacoma ARB front bumper, TR beadlocks w/ 39's, and some other junk.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt88 View Post
I've been wanting to do Pearl Pass since I live so close but the snow this winter was heavier than recent years. I might make a run at it before you get there and I may try to join you for a leg of the trip. I'll give you an update if I can. As of a month ago, at a lower elevation, Aspen Mountain Road and Richmond Hill were still impassible.
For sure, I will keep this post updated in case plans change. Definitely post up an update if you get a chance to hit the trail between now and then. I have been checking http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#pearl and the last update on July 17 indicates that it is still pretty questionable that it would open.

If it does not open, we will be evaluating other trails in the area if you have any ideas. Seems like I am limited to Schofield and Italian Creek if I want to end up in Crested Butte.

Justin
Old 07-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

I believe Pearl pass is still impassible due to snow. I would guess Schofield is the same. Both should be clear by that time. If not I'll suggest, from Aspen you could go over Taylor Pass then Italian. Peal is relatively easy, but has some consequences if you did something dumb. Mostly Dusty, then baby heads, bunch of tallus, some exposed granite with little waterfalls. Easy in a truck, PIA on a dirtbike. Creek crossings on the South side can be deep sometimes. Maybe that's the reason for the higher rating.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM

I was just in the neighborhood. I have a post in the trip reports section describing the trip.

We took Italian Creek to Reno Divide to Cement Creek. It was a beautiful drive but it was also chock full of ATVs.

IIRC, schofield is open. We thought about going home that way but for that part of the trip we'd have a stock Taco with us and it didn't seem like a good idea.
KEITH