Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Family Trip Suggestions

Hi All -

Heading to CO in a few weeks, staying in Vail with our 4 daughters. Was going to trailer down my 100 Series and do a couple of half day, more mild trails for fun with the family. More off road sight seeing rather than rock crawling.

My 100 is set up for far more than I'm anticipating on this trip. I'm talking about something more than just a gravel road however. I just don't want to get stuck in a snowbank up a mountain like I did a couple of years ago in my 40.....

Any suggestions? I was looking at Kingston, that looked fun and probably can't get into trouble there. Only 1.5hrs from vail or so, right?

If you can give me ballpark timeframe for the trail you're suggesting, that would be great. Suggestions on places to eat before/after, that would be appreciated too

Almost made it to the 40 trail ride in early August, but didn't have enough time off to justify the trip. Hope to catch some official events next summer.

Thanks!

John
Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Personally, I wouldn't drive all the way back east to Kingston when there are lots of good options closer to Vail.

Shrine Pass is doable by a Subaru, but it is close (top of Vail Pass) and is a link to other adventures. Ptarmigan Pass is in that same area and would be a fun challenge. Some of the trails around Camp Hale have been closed down though, so I'm not 100% sure what's still passable. Hopefully Farnham will chime in.

If you want to head down to Leadville, then Mosquito Pass is another good, scenic route that isn't too difficult and gets you up to 13000 feet. And once you are bored will those scenic trails, just head on down to Holy Cross and have some fun.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Club Treasurer

Hey John. There is a great resource for Colorado trails at Traildamage.com. There is a map so you can scope out what trails are near where you will be. Then you can find data on each trail including difficulty, navigation, pictures, maps and things to do nearby. It should help a lot. We ran Kingston on the 40s only run and I don't think you could get into much trouble there in a built 100. Unless you just got lost!

The Charles Wells books are also a good resource, although he can be a tad dramatic in his trail difficulty rating. See funtreks.com.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

also hagerman, in addition to mosquito, nice out and back
TLCA#4180
Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice guys. Did Shrine pass in a stock Yukon on my honeymoon, and on a mountain bikes many times since.

I know there are some trails off of it, some looked a bit more technical, any specific easier ones? Or just when my intuition kicks in, turn around

John
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

This thread highlights the closures I was thinking of. Wearymans and Lime Creek are closed. I'm not sure about McAllister, but if its open you could do a loop with Ptarmigan Pass.

Or head down to Mosquito. It's definitely open and a top notch scenery trail.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Rock Stacker

Say, I have an older Garmin Oregon GPS, can someone recommend a newer one that will work well with the TrailDamage GPS Exchange Files? When I last did a lot of wheeling, it was before ipad, iphone (in my area), what's the latest common GPS "help" people use on mapped trails? (took a few years off due to kids and getting into race cars)

Last edited by ndcruiser; 08-28-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Rock Stacker

This is one of my concerns from Trail Damage description of Ptarmigan Pass Trail: "The trail is usually rocky as it follows the creek, and some sections can be difficult. When the rocks are wet it can be even more difficult."

Can someone translate that to me please? What's "difficult"?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 AM
Rock Stacker

I see the Wells books that I already have offer data that will work with my oregon. I think I'll go that route.

I see Farnham is from the Vail area. I tried sending a PM but the mailbox is full. If someone has an alternate way of contacting him, could you please ask him to get in touch with me?

Thanks -

John
Old 08-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I too would avoid Kingston from that distance. There are so many options close to Vail where you can avoid long stretches of I-70.

There has already been some snow up high and some of the higher passes may be a little sketchy, or even closed any day now. Vail is already down in the 30's at night and we've seen a tremendous amount of moisture all year.

It sounds like you've been coming to the area for a long time, why not just explore some roads you've never taken before? Slide Lake is more than a dirt road, but less than "real" trail. Coffee Pot Road is just a dirt road, but you can travel nearly 30 miles through some awesome country, but it sounds like you're looking for traditional "wheeling" so this wouldn't have what you want. IMO, I would trade dragging rocks, tight trees and all day bouncing for beautiful scenery and relaxing drives with my family any day. YMMV.

OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW