Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Commander

20 road

Our run on Friday was “20 road” which was the other long “green” run we hadn’t run yet. Romer again took the lead, and tended to aim right on all of the tight squeeze lines. We had about 12 trucks, including a private-owned FJ, two other FJ’s that were part of the Trail team, also Tarbe again, Buck, Jason (Moj), Brian Swearingen (Woody), Casey Campbell in his FZJ, a couple 40’s, a 60, and a few others I’m not remembering. This run proved to be even tighter than anything we’d done previously, and within the first mile we found ourselves approaching an off-camber corner that requires you to barely miss a tree on both sides. “You want a spot Ken?”
“No, I got it..” 3, 2, 1, bang! Aw crap.. Ken caught the top of the passenger door and rain gutter on a tree when the truck leaned more than expected, and smacked the top of the passenger door with a tree, which proceeded to slide across the rest of the rain gutter on that side as we passed.. Crap.. the phrase “man, Oleg’s going to love you” was heard more than a couple times this day, and we had to pound up on the rain gutter to get the PS door to close without smashing the gasket.

Also on this run another dent to the RR quarter panel mysteriously appeared just before the tail light, making the right side of Ken’s pretty LX look very much like a trail rig. I didn’t do any driving, but spent most of the day running outside, spotting the first half or so of the vehicles through the tight spots, Robbie spotting the latter half (which included the FJ’s). Everyone at camp who earlier told us “you’re going to be out there all day with that many trucks on 20” were pretty impressed that we were back in time for a late lunch, in time for some of us to take another run..
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Rising Sun Commander

5 Road

For the second run, Robbie wanted to do one of the “yellow” runs to give the Toyota camera crew some new footage, also wanted to keep it small so he & I in the FJ led Ken & Matt in Ken’s LX, and Woody, Moj, and Trainrech in Woody’s FZJ up to do road #5. Before we headed to the trail, Robbie needed to drop one of the camera guys up at a hardcore section to film some of the big guys, and both of them ended up staying up there. So whatever, we didn’t have the camera crew but ran the trail anyway, that’s why we’re here.

I drove the FJ out to the start of the trail, then down a fairly tight descent into another creek bed, where we proceeded to run up the dry creek. This trail was again tight, but this time a dirt bank also came into play, in addition to all the trees and rocks beneath. About midway on the trail, road #11 started off to the left, a nearly impossible hill climb. Local shops have put a “bounty” on this trail, anyone who does it gets a mess of prizes, including a free winch. The “easy button” on the left was absolutely priceless, I’m sure everyone got a picture the only one I took was from far away but you can see it on the tee to the left. We didn’t try it though, but pushed the button anyway.

Matt Farr took over driving the FJ about a third the way through for the middle portion of the trail, and did well with Robbie doing all of the spotting. I again took to walking, occasionally spotting Woody and Ken as needed. The run got progressively harder the further up the run we got, with the hardest obstacles just at the end. I drove Ken’s LX for some of the latter part of the trail, but got out before the final big obstacles. We thought we were going to be late for dinner, but as luck would have it the catering was running on the same pace as the rest of the event, and we had an hour or so to kill back at camp before the feed line started up. By now there much have been close to 100 people down here, and the camp sites stretched for about a quarter mile lining both sides of this big valley.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 10-01-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Rising Sun Commander

We liked road #5 the best. The obstacles were a little harder than the stuff on the green trails, but there weren't as many tight turns through the trees.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

The BBQ was pretty good, smoked Turkey & Pork, with beans, rolls, lemonade. They didn’t have any provisions for tables, chairs, or rain shelter, but no one seemed to mind and made do just fine. And the skies were clear so they got lucky with the weather as well. The raffle didn’t start until after dark, and everyone used camping lights and head lamps to check their numbers while Kowboy yelled out the tickets. They kept the pace moving very quick, you only got about 10 seconds to shout out you’re a winner before they’d burn the ticket and move on. It started with every kid getting a remote-controlled RC car. I won a couple prizes, mostly random car care products & t-shirts, the grand prize was a set of Pit Bull Grappler tires (33 12.50 16) and a Ramsey winch. Don’t remember who won those though, wasn’t me. Saddest part of the evening was Jason (Moj) had the first winning ticket for the tires, but he didn’t speak up in time (he had several sets of tickets to sort through) and by the time he realized it they’d already drawn another one. Here is a picture of the raffle…
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 10-02-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

After the raffle we spent more time talking to Robbie back in the warm camper (oh, it got down to about 40 degrees or less every night, was quite cold), then we went down and shared a couple more stories with the Houston guys Tarbe and Buckru.. really great guys I hope they make it to Moab next spring.

Saturday the TLCA officers cooked breakfast, consisting of the basics eggs, sausage, bacon, and pancakes. We only got eggs, others only got pancakes, some got meat.. the production line couldn’t keep up with the eaters but it was a fine breakfast in any case. Then we tore down our camp and loaded up, followed by a very lazy morning talking to Woody who was repairing a brake light and Casey Campbell about which 80’s he should sell and which 80 he should keep. We hit the road by about 1:00, and hoped to be back in Denver by 03:00. Ken did most the driving on the way back, leaving me a lot of time to type up my report here..

I only drove for one tank of gas and got pulled over in Kansas for speeding, about 60 miles from Colorado. Cop said he clocked me at 89 then again at 84, but NFW it was more like 79 per our GPS & cruise control, but whatever it was a 70mph limit so I was going too fast. He let us go with a warning though, was actually a pretty nice guy, and it’s a great feeling to not have anything to hide or worry about when you see the lights in your mirror.

Got back to Romer’s at 2:40, I got home by about 3:20 then hopped in the shower. Thanks again Ken for an awesome time, I will certainly never forget it. Hope you all enjoyed the trip report, if you made it this far thanks for sticking with it!
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 10-02-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like you guys had a great time, nice report Tim .

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

It was an awesome event and I had a great time and made lots of new friends. I used Tim, and my pictures and Tim's video and edited a 20 minuted DVD. Even an MPG file is 11MB so I guess it is too big to upload. I'll be bringing a copy to the meeting for Tim and Matt if any one wants to see it.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice write up Tim , Looks like you guys had fun
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Thanks Tim, For 15min I thought I was there with you guys
TLCA#4180
Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
For 15min I thought I was there with you guys
Cool, thanks, that's what I was hoping for. And I wish y'all could have been there, you would have loved it. We should go back next year as a club for sure, but maybe trailer some 40's next time, this place does not like the wagons.

www.gamiviti.com