Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Mark, you'll just have to drive by!!!

I *think* your double-wide will still skinny down the alley...

Tch, thanks for the suggestion. $2K is a bit out of my range, that sure does look sweet though.

I understand....it was an unusual set of circumstances that led to my being able to justify the expense.

I did talk at length with the guys who did it and the key to any install is the prep. They didn't use any sort of special epoxy but they did several days of prep prior to the coating and I was able to stay off of it a week longer than they requested. As I understand the worst thing you can do is rush getting back onto the new surface and park on it with hot tires. It can cause the coating to peel.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

I heard from a former coworker who does garage floor coatings as a sideline. Two-coat sealing by him will run over $700. Hmmm, how bad do I really want this?

I guess I have environmental reasons to procrastinate. The floor is 4 weeks old, and the garage is not heated.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I used the stuff you get at Home Depot and have been pretty happy with it. The paint does start to peel up after a while under where your tires go, due to them being hot when you pull into your garage. My father-in-law's trick to deal with that is to mask off the area where the tire track will be and not paint it.

HTH

Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thread revival!

How does these coatings hold up to metal jacks and engine hoists being dragged around on them? I use my floor pretty hard!

Steve
Old 12-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

The answers to all garage floor questions can be found on The Garage Journal. I'm not a huge fan of epoxy coatings for working shops.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Trail Ready

Many people try to skip the job of acid etching the concrete with muriatic acid prior to application of the coating. Just like sanding metal or previously coated surfaces before painting, you need to etch the concrete for a good bond.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

The standard easy moisture test is a piece of clear plastic taped down for a few days. If you see moisture, its too wet, A new home may dry out, and old one is probably as dry as it will get.

I did the one-part stuff from home dept and acid etched. 6-8 years ago maybe. Has come off in some places but held up remarkably well.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good link to the Garage Journal - thanks. No real easy answers for how to keep a floor cleanable, if you're a gear head.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Lifted

Yup, Garage Journal has more info on this subject that you can hope to absorb, and you can also follow along with Marc's garage tile project

I'm starting my own epoxy job in my new garage as soon as it warms up enough. I was going to do it last weekend but the weather and a missed epoxy shipment screwed me. Should be warm enough by the weekend to get it done (along with a heater).
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Lifted

I have tried quite a few different coatings over cement floors. Best I have found is Armor Seal. It is a two part epoxy. Here is a link: http://protective.sherwin-williams.c...3Aproduct-6878 It is VERY pricey, but WELL worth it.

I did this in my current shop about 7 years ago before I moved in. And it is still holding up well. As others have stated, proper prep is key. I power washed, then scrubbed entire area with muriatic acid, then rinsed clean, and then did 2 heavy coats.

I expected I would need to refinish the floors every one to two years based off other floors I had done and the nature of my work, but I haven't had to touch it. Direct heat will burn it, and it will flake up where previous oil stains were if the area isn't prepped perfect, but holds up awesome to the majority of scratches, hot tires, chemicals, and other abuses it sees. Spills easily wipe up and don't soak in, and general cleaning is fast and easy with a broom then quick mopping.