Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default The ever-ongoing Red Chili build

Let's face it, we're never done building our trucks and the Chili is no exception.

For those of you who don't know (are you under a rock?) I bought my dad's 87 Runner that we've been building since I was about 12 years old. I'll have to dig up his old bio. The short of it is I'm the third owner of this truck and I'm blessed to have had a dad who pulled me into the world of fabrication and adventure off road. I'm will be changing the truck throughout my ownership and thought I'd catalog it all in a thread.

I've already had my ups, downs, adventures, successes, and failures and wouldn't change them for the world. I have a loving patient wife who loves to adventure with me and we have a whole world to explore.

Here are some highlights starting with some positives:
Attached Images

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

And some negatives:
Attached Images

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

So the next project will be my axles. I sheared the rear housing right at the spring perch this time from years of use and abuse, so it looks like we will be upgrading to 3rd gen width axles. I will be using a factory non-elocked 96-2002 4runner rear housing to gain about 2" overall. My FROR full float kit will swap directly over with new wider axle shafts. For the front I am looking at either a Trail-suck Rock Assault or a Diamond Axle. Again I'll be going Tacoma/3rd Gen 4Runner width. This will result in a 3" wider front axle and will eliminate the front spacers and current scrub radius issues.

Rock Ass: $1800 (ish)

Diamond: $2100 (ish)

ouch.

I'm leaning toward Diamond (local, better quality, willing to cut and turn, etc) and it helps they're not *that* much more expensive.

Here's my shredded axle housing, it was held together by my u-bolts:
Attached Images

TLCA #23166

Old 10-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am looking forward to the adventure ahead. Thanks to all those here who have mentored me and have been encouraging all these years.

:

TLCA #23166

Old 10-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Vice Commander

How about ruffstuff? I I remember, they have 8" stuff that's a little more affordable.

Does the diamond stuff come with all of the bracketry and whatnots attached?

84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE
2002 4Runner, bone stock
2013 Tundra, bone stock
1992 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart - deceased

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Keeping the FF will be nice. I remember when your Dad finished Wipe Out Hill years ago in front wheel drive after some carnage. A quick removal of the rear axles and he was on his way.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Justin, what if you went a tad wider? Eliminating the spacers is great, and worthwhile, but going a little wider might reduce the chance of... "negatives" some, too. Mine are 65" WMS-to-WMS, which is a little too wide for a street driven rig. Somewhere between that and 3rd Gen width might be perfect.

I can't speak for the others, but no one ever regretted buying Diamonds. I love mine.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wider is better. If I were getting a custom from housing I'd go at least 65. It'll be just fine on the street and you'll never regret the extra width.

I put diamonds under Toms old rig for him and they were really nice.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Justin, what if you went a tad wider? Eliminating the spacers is great, and worthwhile, but going a little wider might reduce the chance of... "negatives" some, too. Mine are 65" WMS-to-WMS, which is a little too wide for a street driven rig. Somewhere between that and 3rd Gen width might be perfect.

I can't speak for the others, but no one ever regretted buying Diamonds. I love mine.

Mark
My rear Diamond was one of the best investments I ever made! mine is 63" wms-wms
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

The only thing about 65" axles, at least with wide tires, is the amount of constabulary attention they attract. I guess with 12 or 13 inch wide tires that's less of a problem.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com