Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Trail Ready

Default My 2FE Intercooled Turbo Build thread

I rushed my last 2F turbo EFI build because I wanted to be able to drive it to Moab, but didn't make it.

So I have another engine in the works I'm going to take my time on, mostly a rainy day project to get installed at some later date. I'm going to take pictures and document this one since my old posts seem to be the only way I can resurrect part numbers and specs from past projects

So this engine will be different from the last in the following ways:

1 This time instead of modifying a 2F intake, I'm going to use a 3FE head and try to fabricate A 3fe exhaust manifold to turbo headpipe adapter.

2 It will have hydraulic roller lifters and billet cam

3 It will have a main bearing cradle

4 The block will be eye-browed at the cylinder walls to unshroud the valves

5 The head will be mildly ported, and have Chevy valves

6 Using a .027" custom copper head gasket and O-ring w/zero deck to get the quench optimal

The ignition and ECM will stay the same as my last motor, Ford EDIS ignition with a missing tooth crank wheel and Megasquirt ECM. Like my last engine, the pistons and bearings will be coated with ceramic and dry film lube.

The rest of the things I'm thinking about include

Doing a toolpath to lighten the con rods by trimming the outside contours and the inside pockets. .

Pocketing the pistons to decompress for the turbo

Tune for E85, my target is 16 PSI boost, which is what I calculated I need to get 250CHP at 3000 RPM.

Hope to post some early pics tomorrow...
TLCA #23619

Last edited by frontrange; 05-27-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see pics and results.
Sold1979/83 Fj40, 1987 Fj60, 2006 TRD Taco.
TLCA#22362

A nation that destroys its soil destroys itself-FDR
Old 05-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Wincher

Why use a 3fe head which only increases compression but then pocket the pistons for the turbo? A stock 2f has like 7.5:1 compression. You could use a stock 2f exhaust manifold and put an adapter on it for a t3 turbo pretty easy.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
Why use a 3fe head which only increases compression but then pocket the pistons for the turbo? A stock 2f has like 7.5:1 compression. You could use a stock 2f exhaust manifold and put an adapter on it for a t3 turbo pretty easy.

That is exactly what I did on my last engine. I've always been intrigued with the long runners on the 3FE intake, they should be great for low end torque before the turbo is up to speed, but only experimentation will tell..
TLCA #23619
Old 05-28-2016, 06:34 AM
Trail Ready

I started by wasting a full day cleaning the block, I wish there was a quick way around this. My local shop does a pretty good job with a hot tank, but it still needs work afterwards, due in part to the fact that they spray everything with WD40 at the end to keep things from rusting, and there is always some other residue, so I just decided to clean this one in the garage with solvents and wire brushes. It worked, but was a big time waster...
Attached Images

TLCA #23619
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Trail Ready

Afterwards I shot it was some hot rod black direct to metal enamel, 4 parts paint, 1 part hardener, 1 part solvent in an HVLP gun, it came out nice for an engine block...
Attached Images

TLCA #23619
Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Trail Ready

So the Chevy valve retrofit requires re-cutting the seats for a slightly larger valve (which has to be done anyway on a used head so that's a wash) and reaming the valve guides larger (which is a good thing if you have any guide wear).

You also need non-oem valve stem seals because the Chevy valve stem is larger (11/32 is standard). This part works well and covers a guide OD range from .520-.565. The Toyota guide is about .550 in OD:

http://www.alexsparts.com/11-32-x-52...sbf-and-other/
TLCA #23619

Last edited by frontrange; 05-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Trail Ready

The next problem I ran into was installed valve height. The 2F manual says it is supposed to be 1.693. I Used ITM OEM type springs which are the same across the F/2F/3F line of heads, part number VS1080. They are made in Taiwan, I'll check the seat pressure later before I install them to make sure they are in spec, but the first problem is the installed height is too far off, by just a tad over .070 too tall and it should be +/- .020
Attached Images

TLCA #23619
Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 AM
Trail Ready

I did a quick check on the net looking for a suitable shim, but didn't look too hard because I have an 8 foot tall CNC milling machine living in the basement that always needs something to do. These have an ID of .560 and an OD of 1.52" FWIW. If I had to do it over again I'd have made them a more sloppy fit since once dropped in place, the only way to get them out of the pocket is to blow them out with compressed air.
Attached Images

TLCA #23619
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Wincher

Didn't a guy in Australia get like 300 hp on 8lbs of boost? Are you going to have the crank and rods balanced?