Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Diesel Power FJ 60 build.

This is going to be my build thread for my 4bd1t swap into my 60.
Got all gas parts removed. Motor mounts but out and ground down. All manual transmission stuff is pulled. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1467345506460.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  116.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1467345521958.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  121.1 KB

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Diesel motor showed up this afternoon. Spent all afternoon going through it. Getting new filters on and oil in. Freeing up frozen stuff. About 9:30 though it was all worth it as it fired right up and ran after bleeding all the air out.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here is a short video of the motor running on the stand tonight.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Very cool.

I've done a *few* diesel swaps, but I haven't done an Isuzu yet!

I'll be watching for sure.

Dan
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Injectors are on there way to triple t diesel in Texas for a rebuild. 1 was a killer. Had to end up slide hammering it out. Now I'm looking for a new turbo. Want either a holset he221w or a Garrett gt2259. Those seem like the 2 best for this motor from the research I've been doing.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker25 View Post
Injectors are on there way to triple t diesel in Texas for a rebuild. 1 was a killer. Had to end up slide hammering it out. Now I'm looking for a new turbo. Want either a holset he221w or a Garrett gt2259. Those seem like the 2 best for this motor from the research I've been doing.
Any reason you didn't use Central Motive Power?

I'm not a huge fan of CMP in Denver, they aren't bad by any stretch, but their Albuquerque office is amazing. They've rebuilt everything odd I have sent to them.

What's wrong with the turbo? Central Motive can almost certainly rebuild your current one, or source new Garrett.

Dan
Old 07-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Had a buddy that had a less than pleasant exp with cmp so I was kind of turned off of them. Triple t's name came up in a few threads looking around where guys were talking about getting isuzu diesel injectors and lift pumps rebuilt so I called and talked to them. Owner was really friendly and informative. I will let you know how I feel about them after I get everything back. Turbo was leaking some oil and the stock one isn't a great fit for what I wanted to do. Would have probably been alright but I got a good deal on the holset he221 and it looks like it is perfect for my output goals while still running on the conservative side of performance.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Had a buddy that had a less than pleasant exp with cmp so I was kind of turned off of them.
Like I say: CMP Denver? Meh. CMP Albuquerque? Awesome.

Glad I'm not the only one who has had a less than great experience with CMP here.

Quote:
Triple t's name came up in a few threads looking around where guys were talking about getting isuzu diesel injectors and lift pumps rebuilt so I called and talked to them. Owner was really friendly and informative. I will let you know how I feel about them after I get everything back.
Yes please. I don't know when I will end up with an Isuzu engine, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time....

Quote:
Turbo was leaking some oil and the stock one isn't a great fit for what I wanted to do. Would have probably been alright but I got a good deal on the holset he221 and it looks like it is perfect for my output goals while still running on the conservative side of performance.
Very good. I'm a firm believer that we need pretty conservative turbos up here. Since a normally aspirated engine is only making about 75 percent power just driving around town, we are producing boost just for "normal" driving, putting heat into the intake just driving around town that folks at sea level just don't experience. So boosting a ton just gets us that much closer to cooking things up when we take pretty much any trip west on I-70. That's a steep hill, with no breaks, and as you crest the Eisenhower Tunnel roughly half of your boost is just normalization, which is a lot of heat just to make the same power that the engine would make normally aspirated at sea level.

Dan
Old 07-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

CMP Denver was were he went. Def was not very happy. Are you running an intercooler? Looking at options right now and curious what you think since you are running diesel motors in the mountains already. Also considering a water methanol system but not sure if it is necessary if i put in an intercooler. Looking for pillar setup for egt and boost gauges as well. Really want to put this together right first time so I don't have to refabricate a bunch of stuff.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
CMP Denver was were he went. Def was not very happy. Are you running an intercooler? Looking at options right now and curious what you think since you are running diesel motors in the mountains already. Also considering a water methanol system but not sure if it is necessary if i put in an intercooler. Looking for pillar setup for egt and boost gauges as well. Really want to put this together right first time so I don't have to refabricate a bunch of stuff.
I am putting a Front Mount Intercooler in the 60 (with the 1HZ/Turbo) now. It's the first time I have done an intercooler. I will be curious how much it helps. The direct injected motor (12HT) doesn't really need it too much, but on the hottest days you can tell it might benefit from one.

The 3B/Turbo and the 2LT-E both heat soak on long hills, but I'm not entirely convinced that an IC would make that much of a difference.

On the 60 I am mounting a Front Mount Intercooler, but in retrospect it would have been MUCH simpler to use a top mount IC and deal with a little hole/scoop in the hood. There's just not much room in front, even after mounting it all real tight I will need to trim the grill a little on the backside.

I'm not a huge fan of pillar gauge pods personally. The major reason I don't like them a lot is because they block vision around the A-Pillar a little (especially since the 60 has a pretty small A-Pillar), which you will notice the most if you go up switchbacks to your left. There are some real nice dash pods available (We used them on the HJ61, and I bought the same for my 60) from Glowshift.

Whatever you do, buy good gauges. I personally wouldn't use Autometer again. The night lighting sucks on them, and they've not been real stable when there's a large electrical load on the tiny toyota alternators. We have been VERY happy with the ISSPro gauges. The backlighting makes them incredibly easy to read at night, and we've had none of the low voltage instability that we have with the Autometers (typically noticed when you turn the heater on at night with the headlights on).

Dan