Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll risk it. Internet wisdom sometimes perpetuates itself and is (ironically!) out of date and late for the party. Just too easy to repeat what you've read, rather than experienced first hand.

In my case the deep cycle yellow top just makes sense, and I run a pair.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

The eternal problem of marketing, every failure generates tens of times more negative word of mouth than a satisfied customer who never thinks twice about a product that just works and blends into the background of their life. How many Red and Yellow tops are out there and still continue to be sold that never fail? Tens of millions. Just one failure ends up on dozens of forums within days, though. Even a popular forum like ExPo or Mud see a handful of people with first hand experience, most people just parrot stuff second hand.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Has anyone done research to determine where the Diehard Platinum marine and automotive batteries are truly different on the inside? I know that you get more posts with the marine flavor, and internet wisdom suggests that marine/deep cycle batteries have larger plates to handle discharging better than a standard starting battery. But it seems like if this was true and the marine construction was different, then the marine battery should weigh more (bigger plates = heavier right?) and possibly be larger than it's non-marine equivalent, and have better ratings? For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

I've got a nearly 5 year old Diehard Platinum 34M that seems to be slowly fading (it's my auxillary battery in the 80). It's steady state after charging seems to be around 11.8 - 12V rather than 12.6 - 12.8V. Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.

So I'm trying to reconcile if it's worth it for me to buy another Marine battery, or just run the group 34 as the better overall value.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I thought the deep cycle batteries had thicker plates in the same overall form factor which would equal less plates and less current but a more robust battery (more plate to degrade exists).

Weight would be close if there were less plates but they were thicker no?

Am I way off?
82 FJ40
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.
Your research suggests the difference is the posts, the color and the margin. My bet is that you're right, but I don't know. FWIW, I run plain ol' Platinums in my 4Runner and tow rig, and they are plenty expensive.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Internet wisdom says Optima is no good anymore.
I moved away from reds. I had a couple, and in a vehicle that sits a lot, they'd invariably go dead. That's OK, but what wasn't OK was that they were never the same again, or even close. I suspect, but don't know, they'd do fine in a vehicle that's driven a lot.

Quote:
Sears has a reputation of being a PITA being with Diehard warranties.
The wasn't the case with my single instance of testing the return process. I was in and out in minutes, without the whole "let us test it and let you know tomorrow" business. YMMV, and so might mine, next time.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

My Die Hard Platinum Marine group 31 got warrantied last fall. Pretty simple in and out, just had to wait for them to test it.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I just added my dual battery setup in the FJ60. I had a yellowtop from my old FJ60 that had been sitting on the bench for over a year. I charged it up overnight and it came right up and has stayed at 12 nicely for the past week. It's probably 5 years old. I had both this yellowtop and redtop in my old 60 and they performed fine.

There is a Diehard Platinum starting battery that came with the rig and it seems to drop below 12 after sitting for a few days. We'll see how they do once I actually start driving this thing.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Lifted

We used our winch for the first time 2 weeks ago on Yankee Hill. We made 3 good pulls. Now my 500CCA ProStart needs jumped every morning. I want an Odyssey. The stock size is group 25 for my 4runner so this is what I picked out.

At work, we order through Walter's battery service, they quoted me a little under $250 & 3 days out for that specific battery. Should I stay with the group 25 or do a different size? I read this whole thread & there is no mention of group 25's. Also, if the Sear's battery is the same as this Odyssey, I'd prefer Sears, is this true?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Has anyone done research to determine where the Diehard Platinum marine and automotive batteries are truly different on the inside? I know that you get more posts with the marine flavor, and internet wisdom suggests that marine/deep cycle batteries have larger plates to handle discharging better than a standard starting battery. But it seems like if this was true and the marine construction was different, then the marine battery should weigh more (bigger plates = heavier right?) and possibly be larger than it's non-marine equivalent, and have better ratings? For the group 34, all the other specs are the same - CCA, Ah, Reserve capacity between the 34 and 34M.

I've got a nearly 5 year old Diehard Platinum 34M that seems to be slowly fading (it's my auxillary battery in the 80). It's steady state after charging seems to be around 11.8 - 12V rather than 12.6 - 12.8V. Right now Sears has the DHP group 34 in sale for $175 and comes with a 4 year replacement + 100 month prorated warranty. The 34M is still at $219 and only has a 3 year warranty.

So I'm trying to reconcile if it's worth it for me to buy another Marine battery, or just run the group 34 as the better overall value.
Well - the sale is over, so nothing done at this point. I ran some tests on the system yesterday trying to find a drain that might be stealing volts from the battery, but everything tested out fine with only a small amount of mA draw detected, even from the crappy inverter I'm running. But the battery was down to 11.6V, so I think it's time for a new one. The battery has 05/08 stamp on it, so I guess 5 years is Ok in our climate. $40/year....