Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
My accessory batt is a Deka 31 and my primary is a Deka 78. Both are AGM's
Thanks Kevin

Found a pretty good comparison on their site amongst different construction types
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/1081.pdf
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I thought others would find this of interest

The Die Hard Platinum (Odyessy), Red Top Orbital and Deka are the top three batteries based on Consumer Reports and real offroad testing

The Orbital Exide is not known for long life, found that out myself on two of them

The Deka has the outstanding reserve capacity to run the Holy graille at night, per Kevins use and Consumer Reports testing

It would have been interesting if they had included the Yellow and Blue Top Optimas in their test.

From Consumer Reports
Our battery-life test is based on a standard recently adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers. Our test includes partially draining and then recharging each battery almost 3,000 times over a 10-week period, during which the battery must meet voltage and amperage limits based on real-life demands. The highest scorers maintained higher voltages and were able to withstand more cycles.
In addition to how we test car batteries for endurance, our reserve-capacity test measures how long an auto battery can supply power if the charging system fails or if you leave your headlights or accessories on. The lowest-scoring models in our test should provide 1½ hours of power. Higher-scoring models can supply power well past 2 hours.
We also test for cold-cranking amps (CCA). That’s the measure of current that’s available at 0º F and is the primary indicator of cold-climate performance. CCA has long been a major selling point for batteries. But we believe that the industry’s claimed CCA doesn’t reflect real-world conditions because batteries are charged at a higher voltage than the 14.5 volts provided by most vehicles’ alternators. Our CCA test is based on more realistic charging voltages and amperage demands, and our results show each battery’s relative cranking power, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims.
Attached Images

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum. I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largerone View Post
Romer...thanks for posting this CR data. Makes me feel OK about my DieHard Platinum. I will say that it is the HEAVIEST battery I have ever picked up!!! I'm about 6'3" and it took everything to get it up and seated in the battery tray!!!

Because of the way my Optima was installed by PO, I had to turn the battery facing backward. I still have a few things I need to do to clean up the install. I'd like to get some of the Military Style clamps and increase the gauge of the wires, but I will probably wait until I find a winch before I take the time to do this. Maybe when I re-wire, I'll turn the battery around facing forward?
You are right there....these batteries are definately heavy! The group 31 Deka I have is 71#'s!!!!!!!!!!! Royal biatch to get in and out of the battery box!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

That would be a real pain to lift two of them to hang under the rear deck...

I'd need a hydraulic lift!! And more spring lift in the rear.

So why didn't CR recommend the top three?
Oh yeah... they are CR.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Their "best buy" recommendation is always very good quality for a great price, not the best quality at any price. But they always show you their rankings, so you can buy the top rated _____ if you so choose. That's almost never the bargain.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Trail Ready

Went to Hensley Battery and picked up two 2nds for 75 bucks total. They also have pre made battery cables for those looking to be replaced. Service was good.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I picked up the Deka 31 and a Deka 78 AGM. I was suprised just how small the 78 is and how big the 31 is! Both are installed minus the hold down for the 31.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I picked me up a 9A34.. AGM. we'll see how it goes.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

group 31!!! that's a big freakin' battery...class 8 tractor trailers run group 31s
ige tlca #1431