Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default OHV grant, Lefthand Rock Crawl Route

From Adam Mehlberg of Trail Ridge Runners-
Bill,
Our club has submitted the Lefthand Rock Crawl Grant. The members doing the grant would like to continue to collect support letters so that they can submit them when they do the oral presentation of thegrant for the State Parks review committee. If you would, could you send us a support letter from the Rising Sun 4WD Club. The deadline is December 20th. Below is a description of the grant. Attached is the draft comment letter.

Thanks for your assistance.
---------------------
The intention of this project is to create a high challenge motorized vehicle route in the Lefthand Carnage OHV Area. The project will be split into two phases.

This grant request is for phase 1 which will create a new lower rockcrawl area and road that connects Lefthand Canyon Dr. (Cnty Rd 94) to the 5-Points intersection on FSR 286.1 \using FSR 286.1B and new construction to create a high challenge route.

Phase 2 will create a mix of difficult and high challenge roads leading from 5-Points intersection to Spruce Gulch Ridge. Like phase 1 this would be done using a mix of current marked roads (like FSR286.1.D and FSR 286.1) and new build routes. The two projects together will move existing traffic off FSR 286.1A (aka Carnage Canyon) so this road can be closed and restored.

By developing a sustainable high challenge motorized vehicle route that will be adopted by the organized user groups in conjunction with the Boulder Ranger District, the unmanaged motorized use on FSR 286.1A will be eliminated and the difficult and high challenge user experience will be maintained in Lefthand Canyon. These two phases will begin the implementation of the Boulder Ranger District's Lefthand Canyon Travel Management Plan which was approved in September of 2006. The Lefthand Canyon Travel Management Plan decision allows the continuation of the existing restoration work that has been done with previous grants to restore the Lefthand meadow and the meadow below 5-Points.
----------------------
You can email the letter, or send it to me at
4562 S. Cnty Rd. 29
Loveland, CO 80537
Thanks for your help with our grant.

Adam Mehlberg
Trailridge Runners 4WD
ClubSecretary970-669-69793jeeps@frii.comwww.trr4wd.com

The sample letter is attached. I will write one on behalf of the club, but by all means write one on behalf of yourself!The OHV grant decisionmakers weigh that when they decide where the money should go.
Attached Files
File Type: doc LOS_lfthnd_rckcrwl_draft.doc (1.6 KB, 81 views)
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Letter composed and sent.
-LeiniesRed
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Really nice article about this written by Adam Mehlberg in the most recent High Times...

sounds like those guys are doing a great job up there, I need to go check it out sometime.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So I followed a link over to Colorado 4x4 tonight, just spent a long time reading the bulk of this thread http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthrea...=136331&page=4 yes I started on page 4, read to the end... may try to pick up the first few pages tomorrow. But an interesting discussion over there, to say the least. I'm sure you guys know half of the characters too.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

ArloGuthro is a real trooper, the man gets things done and I appreciate his attitude (along with the greener contingent on Colo4x4).

I especially love this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ
we get to "fight" that...
To which CC replies:
Which is something that we have yet to start doing. We negotiate with that, we compromise with that, we say oh well, it's closed to that.

It's time to start really "fighting" that.
Huh. I don't remember that fella at any of the BRD meetings or NF travel management meetings I have attended... but now he's ready to fight. Whoop-de-doo. I don't actually believe that fella actually HAS negotiated with anything, compromised with anything, but he is showing up after everything has been done and getting upset. Like, nobody knew.

Well, nobody knew if they didn't keep up with land use I suppose. Duh.

Less fight, more work, more communication, more collaboration. That is the future and there is no other path unless we are willing to take up needlework.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

That whole thread after the first page is nuts. I have lightly followed it for a while. What absolutely blows my mind is how folks can honestly not understand how driving up a drainage, dripping oil and what not from vehicles and loosening vegetation in that same drainage would not affect/contaminate the receiving stream! How hard is to understand that pooh flows down stream?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
ArloGuthro is a real trooper, the man gets things done and I appreciate his attitude (along with the greener contingent on Colo4x4).

I especially love this:

Huh. I don't remember that fella at any of the BRD meetings or NF travel management meetings I have attended... but now he's ready to fight. Whoop-de-doo. I don't actually believe that fella actually HAS negotiated with anything, compromised with anything, but he is showing up after everything has been done and getting upset. Like, nobody knew.

Well, nobody knew if they didn't keep up with land use I suppose. Duh.

Less fight, more work, more communication, more collaboration. That is the future and there is no other path unless we are willing to take up needlework.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

i stopped reading the lefthand threads. too many of the armchair wheelers and their 'we own the land' attitudes. i like the guy who admits he's never been to a meeting, but knows how they operate

that board is such a moron fest. occasionally, it's fun to prove their stupidity, but even that's not fulfilling enough to regularily visit.

hey chili....just out of curiosity, does vernon brandt ever attend the brd meetings? i think he's one of the worst attitudes over there.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Can't stand CO4x4. Only reason I go on their site is to find out what trails to AVOID. I've come across ONE group of 3 people from there who've been decent. The rest have been awful. One time, a guy actually came about a foot from running me over, and his buddy said, "Aw, too bad you moved. We needed traction."

Sent my letter a while ago.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I hope that Val and a couple of the other "good guys" still lurk over here, because their efforts with all of this are pretty darn heroic. A lot of us would have been fed up with the majority and said screw it I can't take you guys anymore. But they have stuck in there, which is commendable.

and Ige it was your link I followed over there by the way...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
hey chili....just out of curiosity, does vernon brandt ever attend the brd meetings? i think he's one of the worst attitudes over there.
From what I have seen, all vb does is whine, be oppositional, shoot potential allies in the back (much less his opposition), and fail to answer reasonable questions, objections or observations, preferring to pile on with more unverifiable and inflammatory jabs. A conversation with the man is less productive than a conversation with my crescent wrench.

I've never seen him at any meeting. He will tell you it is because it will never work to compromise or even converse with those two-timing deceptive government workers and their enviro friends (at least that is what he told me, it is somewhere on CO4x4). So in his mind at least his position is unassailable. He's right, you're wrong, that's that.

Though come to think of it, I cannot recount a single battle vb has won...

Not to put too fine a point on it.
KDØRCH
Bio Page