Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default Lasik?

or Laser Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis for you brainy type. Anyone done it? Recommendations?

I need to do something because I can't see anymore. My mom went from coke bottles to very thin glasses a few years back. Her only issue was the doctor said they could readjust as many times as needed and it turned out that wasn't true. Each surgery would increase the halo effect (lights at night) so they suggested against doing it again
I read Yooper and Doc's thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...ighlight=lasik
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 12-12-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

I did it 6 years ago and can't recommend it enough. I spent the extra $$$ to go to an eye surgeon rather than the mill type with a few weeks training. The best in town that I know of are Dr. Alfred Roberts (Who I went to), Dr. Spivak and Dr. Dishler (sp?). There may be a few more now.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Many of my friends have had it. The more care they took of their eyes following the procedure, the more successful the procedure seems to have been over time.

1 Friend is now legally blind in 1 eye. He tough guyed it and jumped right back into work the next day. I bet he had the proceedure 6 years ago.
5 years ago, another friend had it. Took some time off and followed the doc's directions. His vision is outstanding to this day.

4 years ago I took a friend in for the process, drove her home and she chilled for a few days befre getting back into the world. Her vision is better than ever as well.

I really think you have to give your eyes a chance to heal.

PS, I can't get an MRI due to the metal in my eyes from automotive and body work.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Romer.

My dad has worked in Quality Engineering with optics for over 25 years. His recommendation to everyone who asks him, is find the best doctor with a great track record who has done hundreds of these types of procedures. And resting your eyes afterwards and not touching or rubbing them are HUGE in the effectiveness of the procedure.

I have had two friends do it with great results.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I had Lasik from Dr. Dishler in Dec. 2001. I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Before surgery
My vision was very near sighted. Right: 20/600 Left: 20/750
I wore glasses most of the time. I used one-day contact lenses for skiing and other stuff.

First surgery Dec. 2001
I had Lasik done on both eyes at the same time.
Result: better vision, but not full correction. Right: 20/150 Left: 20/200
Side effect: very dry eyes. I had to have plugs put in my tear ducts to solve this problem. The dry eyes would continue to be a problem for the next two years.

Second surgery early 2002
I had a Lasik enhancement done on the right eye.
Result: Much better. Right: 20/40

Third surgery mid 2002
I had a Lasik enhancement done on the left eye.
Result: Much better. Right: 20/30

A few years passed.

Foggy vision mid 2004
Then I started noticing that the vision in my left eye was getting foggy. I thought it was due to dryness. The doctor at my lasik place thought that it was due to an uneven suface of my eye. Finally, I went for a second opinon. The result: I had a cataract in my left eye.

Most people have cataracts in their 70s. I was 40. My cataract surgeon, Dr. Kevin Cuevas, says that no studies have been done, but he is seeing many more young patients requiring cataract surgery. All of these people are lasik patients.

Sidenote: if you need an eye surgeon, I highly recommend Dr. Kevin Cuevas.

Fourth surgery Sept. 2005
Lens replacement surgery for my left eye. Due to my lasik surgeries, it is hard for the doctor to calculate the strength of my new artificial lens.
Result: I end up a bit far-sighted in my left eye.

Fifth surgery Dec. 2005
Lens replacement surgery for my left eye (again).
Result: Perfect! Now at 20/20 in my left eye.

Sixth surgery Feb. 2006
I still had a bit of fogginess in my vision. My cataract doctor used a "Yag laser" to blast a hole in the back of the capsule surrounding the lens in my left eye. This was the least invasive surgery of the six.
Result: Now at 20/20 in my left eye, no fogginess.

Current status Dec. 2006
Right: 20/100 Left: 20/20
Yes, my right eye has gotten more near sighted again. It's so minor that it doesn't bother me. I may get some glasses for night driving. I have started using reading glasses occasionally (near sighted people generally can wait longer for this, but I'm no longer near sighted).

Recommendations
If I then what I know now, I would have stuck with my glasses. After thousands of dollars and six surgeries, my eyesight is very good. I just hope that it stays that way.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dang Matt!! That is a hell of a lot to go through..

As for me, I had LASIK done at the 20/20 Institute (official LASIK providers for the Avalanche don't cha know ) in June of this year.

Did EXACTLY what the Doctor's recommended (putting in the antibiotic drops, using only non-preserved eye drops, wearing the 'goggles' at night, no rubbing of the eyes, no swimming/getting water in your eyes, etc. etc. etc.) and have had no problems.

Just had my 6 month checkup and things look great. Vision is 20/15 (20/20 left, 20/15 right, 20/15 together). Before my vision was comparable to Matt's.

I was VERY apprehensive about the surgery. I had been thinking about having it done for years but you only get one set of eyes and I always told myself that having glasses was a lot better than not being able to see.

But for me it has been absolutely awesome! I only have 6 months under my belt though. I can go swimming with the girls and not worry about my glasses, I can go skiing and not worry about glasses, I wake up and can see, etc. etc. etc.

Couple things I've noticed:

(1) Surgery can sort of freak you out...You are awake obviously and can kind of 'see' what is going on...Freaky, especially when they 'grab' your eyeball Take the 'relaxers' they give you

(2) Follow the docs steps to the nth degree

(3) Buy a good set of safety glasses if your regular glasses use to provide that protection for you

(4) Halos/Night driving - was very noticeable to me for the first couple months. Not bad now and really I don't even notice it

(5) Dry eyes...Getting better everyday. Down to using drops maybe 1-2 times per day, usually after long stints at the computer or after long days

(6) Research and visit as many Docs as you can and pick the one that has a great track record and you feel comfortable with

I would highly recommend the 20/20 institute as they seem to be a first class outfit. Always felt comfortable, feel they took their time, etc. And, they put you through a series of tests to insure that you are a good candidate for the procedures they offer. Regarding the 'adjustments' that is true. 20/20 offers different packages including lifetime adjustments but they tell you up front that they will only do an adjustment IF they feel it is in the best interest of the patient (i.e. they won't do another surgery just to tweak the vision).

Bottom line, you have to weigh the pros and cons and how living without glasses or contacts would change your life. For me the deciding factor was actually my daughters and being able to do stuff with them without the hindrance of glasses. If it weren't for them, I probably would have just stuck with living with glasses.

GL in whatever you decide.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow Matt. Youch. I think (hope?) your case is an outlier.

I had Lasik done (flap-n-zap, not PRK) over twelve years ago in Canada by The Laser Center (TLC). They were pioneers and had thousands of hours of experience at that time. I went with my optometrist, who is also a good friend, who also had it done (he is also one of the highest ranked optos in CO). I was so nearsighted it was terrible, and I had dry eye to boot so contacts were out of the question. Several others in the group had PRK.

The difference was amazing. 20/20 left, 20/30 right, which took a while to get used to since I am right eye dominant. There was a slight complication in my right eye, a very slight epithelial tear that caused a minor epithelial ingrowth (the outside cells invading the cornea, like skin growing into your arm). It stabilized, no real issues.

Due to age, I continued to become slightly nearsighted in both eyes but nothing like before. Still, when hunting it was frustrating. So a few years ago the optometrist referred me for an eval by a local TLC clinic on 6th/Simms, and they said they would "cover under warranty". They had never had a redo over 8 years old, so they had their doubts about lifting the flap, but it worked. They also successfully removed all invasive epithelial tissue.

Bloody fantastic now, because I am slightly nearsighted in my left eye for reading, 20/20 in my right eye for distance, and my brain is way happy sorting that out. I can use reading glasses, but can get by without them. It's called monovision, and I recommend it.

I still have dry eye, but put 1 drop in when I wake up in the morning, rest my eyes every so often, and I'm better than ever. No night vision problems, nothing.

I recommend TLC, and Spivak is quite good these days as well.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk
Before surgery
My vision was very near sighted. Right: 20/600 Left: 20/750
I wore glasses most of the time. I used one-day contact lenses for skiing and other stuff.
First surgery
Second surgery
Third surgery
A few years passed.
Foggy vision
Fourth surgery
Fifth surgery
Sixth surgery
Recommendations
If I then what I know now, I would have stuck with my glasses. After thousands of dollars and six surgeries, my eyesight is very good. I just hope that it stays that way.
Holy Crap Matt! I remember when you came to a meeting and I noticed no glasses and mentioned it and you said you had laser, but I had no idea you've gone through so much! Yeesh! I can only imagine when the health-care budget overtakes the cruiser budget by that much, not to mention the more obvious issues with all the fun time in doctor's offices and recovery and stress from the before-and-after.

I started to have to wear reading glasses occasionally a couple years ago to decipher the markings on 2mm x 4mm electronic components. They're also helpful to see the etchings on taps and drill bits. But they're still 20/20 according to a check I had done a year or so ago when I got some debris from grinding steel past my safety glasses.

BTW, I thought you looked good in glasses :-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Lifted

I also selected monovision, through Dr. Bill Hines - took a bit of getting used to, but well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
It's called monovision, and I recommend it.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yikes! I have had no surgeries on my eyes, thankfully. I've been slghtly near sighted my whole life. Now at 51 I need minor correction for distance. Got some glasses, mostly for driving at night. But, of course, by now the up-close stuff is a challenge, so I have some "cheaters" for that. I feel lucky I haven't had to go through too much.