Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default You can never be to careful, story of a dishonest shop and props to a local good shop

First off, props to Colorado Speed and Chassis in Aurora. I used them for the Fuel Injection install based on Ben Swains recommendation AND if you are in Fort Collins, beware of Lloyds service

When I bought my 40 I had been looking for several months. I wanted the basis to build my dream no worries cruiser. As close as I could get it to driving it new off the lot to the specifications I had in mind. I had a punch list and a plan.

I looked at several cruisers that passed my initial criteria and selected one in Fort Collins after I inspected it. It was clean, rust free with no leaks, the engine ran fine. No AF in the oil, no crud in the block after taking off the oil cap and running my finger against the inside and $5700 in receipts showing a complete rebuild from new pistons, valve job, machining the head, etc. only 2000 miles ago. I was sold.

I had done a lot of work to it including installing the MPFI and then I changed the oil

When I changed the oil it came out rather dark and very very thick. Looked like someone had added something. Then after the new oil I developed leaks everywhere. Oil Pan Gasket and valve covers. It also started running like it was low on oil, you could hear the idle arms running. I replaced the Oil pan gasket and the Valve cover gaskets and it was still leaking a bit.

It looked like it could have been the manifold gasket, so I took it to Colorado Speed and Chassis since they replaced the manifold. They said the manifold was fine, but used a camera to figure out the rear main seal was leaking. They also noticed it was blowing out more smoke than it should. They did a leak test and said the rings were not providing a great seal. They said based on the leaks, poor Ring seals and just the tired way it was running, they doubted this had been rebuilt.

Just a lesson on my part, key reason I bought this rig was I thought it had a rebuilt like new engine to start

After I bought it I found out the PO bought it from Eddie Moore with a fresh rebuilt 400 and after a few miles his shop recommended he rebuild it. BUT the 400 was replaced with a low end 350. That was my first clue that something fishy was afoot here. The thick oil was the 2nd and the leaks everywhere was the third. Confirmed by the leak test that either this was a poor rebuild or just a dishonest vendor. I don't think the PO knew as he was pretty clueless about mechanicals and I found he was charged double MSRP on some other things . Lloyds in Fort Collins did all the work. I see no point in contacting them since its been over a year. Even if the PO knew, the receipts showing the work on this truck show Lloyds didn't do what they were suppose to.

Looking at Yelp there was another review calling them scam artists

Just a lesson on my part, key reason I bought this rig was I thought it had a rebuilt like new engine to start

There are always risks when you buy a 37 year old vehicle, and I could have looked into the condition and consistency of the oil a bit more. Just sharing in case it helps someone else in the future

What am I going to do? This is suppose to be my dream cruiser with nothing to worry about. I could live with it for a while, heck even put Marvels Mystery oil back in.

I am working with Dave at Colorado Speed and Chassis, to build a 383 plug and play replacement, using a rebuilt Gen 1 block, new Air Flow Research Al heads, new other internal components and reuse the externals like MPFI, Dizzy, etc. Its more than I wanted to put into this cruiser, but I need to meet my original goals as I intend on keeping it a long time. These guys have a Dyno in their shop and build and tune engines and components for a living.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ugggh, I am so sorry to hear this Ken.

What a drag, I hope you are able to get the 40 where you want it to be without too much more $$$ flying out the hard top.

I would still bring it up with the owner of the shop who supposedly did the work.

Sorry man, this bites.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 12-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

I would still bring it up with the owner of the shop who supposedly did the work.

They could say one of the following
It is out of warranty
We have no proof that the engine wasn't swapped after we did the work
Your not the owner we dealt with

or worse

Bring it up to us and we will look at it

I intend to ask the shop to take pictures of the pistons and heads after they remove it. If I then have proof there was no rebuild vs just a crap rebuild, I will look into what I can do if anything since it was advertised as such. Likely I can't do anything.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ken - it sounds like you're heading into this with the right attitude. I bought my 'no worries' FJ40 in 1990, only 12 years old, with 76K miles, but learned (later) that the intake manifold was cracked under the carburetor, and the compression was low and the carb needed rebuilding. The rear axle was dated 1976 (junkyard crayon) and may have been replaced. I think my FJ40 was driven hard all over Texas (where purchased) and not terribly well maintained.

I replaced the engine with a 2F that had only 17K miles, and I shaved 14 seconds off my 0-60 time - it was now 26 seconds, rather than 40 seconds (!), as before. I guess the upside of this is that 24 years later, it still runs well and I still own it. All the 'investments' I have made over the years have paid off, in either durability or retained value, so if you march ahead carefully, you'll do ok. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Do you have to pass emissions? is is burning tons of oil? Just leaky? First two = no I' drive it. first two yes and the last one yes I'd take it apart. If you like having a nice driveway or it leaks a TON then maybe go through it anyways.

If you want to keep it, rebuild the engine the right way (meet your goals, budget minded, or fast) and drive it till yer blue in the face. It sucks it's not perfect, but it happens sometimes.

If you want to sell it it sounds like you'll still have to rebuild the motor.

You have a solid rig otherwise, and thats a pretty great start.

I'd hesitate to build a super hot rod motor for it but that's just me. Simple, solid, and cheaper will work fine.
82 FJ40
Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Do you have to pass emissions? is is burning tons of oil? Just leaky? First two = no I' drive it. first two yes and the last one yes I'd take it apart. If you like having a nice driveway or it leaks a TON then maybe go through it anyways.

If you want to keep it, rebuild the engine the right way (meet your goals, budget minded, or fast) and drive it till yer blue in the face. It sucks it's not perfect, but it happens sometimes.

If you want to sell it it sounds like you'll still have to rebuild the motor.

You have a solid rig otherwise, and thats a pretty great start.

I'd hesitate to build a super hot rod motor for it but that's just me. Simple, solid, and cheaper will work fine.
Thanks Marco

I am going to replace it to have the vehicle meet my expectations. It does leak oil. 10 years ago I would have just driven it. Now that I have the kids out, I can afford to do it right even though I would rather spend the money elsewhere. I am not building a Hot Rod Motor, but one that is like new, with great performance so I can pass your 60 going up to the Eisenhower Tunnel

I was sharing so others could learn from my adventure.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper