Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Unanticipated cost of Yankee Doodle Lake project

Shovelled out the driveway, ready to fire up the Chili...

DEAD.

TWO Optima Yellowtops. Can't crank the motor. Only been sitting for a couple weeks. Not that old. Isolated by a solenoid, so that ain't it.

Note to Yellowtop owners everywhere: do NOT weld shackles on a winch point near Yankee Doodle Lake with your yellowtops. They cannot take it. After I welded with them, I noticed the motor cranked over noticeably slower, and never got better. I hoped it wasn't a big deal...

So now I get to replace two.

Oh, well, it was for a good cause!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I'll chip in $50.00 for you toward the cost of the new batteries. God knows you deserve it for all you do.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd feel guilty taking it from ya, Mike! I don't do half what you do.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Lifted

You sure they're dead? Put a charger on them?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

They work ok if I do put a charger on them, but won't hold a charge too well. In fact the truck started after 30 minutes on the charger. But every time I cranked it it was slower. I noticed that since the project at Yankee Doodle, but since the truck never sat... they cranked, albeit slowly. I think I fried the lead fabric grid a little. Oops.

It's on the charger now, 6A, charging both batts in parallel. We'll see in the mornin'. But deep cycle batts shouldn't care. These seem to care.

Note to self, replacing stolen D-rings is cheaper than replacing Optimas cuz I used them to weld the D-ring.

Won't chance CM07 with possible flat batts.

Didn't I hear that Coolio have that issue too? Optimas + welding =

It's said we learn to be wise by doing stupid things.
What a stupid system.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Bill, what batteries are you going to try next? I'm about done with Optimas, myself.

BTW, you need to do a write-up on your dual battery setup. If you don't document it on the web, how am I supposed to copy it?

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Lifted

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili

It's said we learn to be wise by doing stupid things.
AHH, Well, aproaching enlightenment here then..
Old 12-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

I finished with optimas without welding on them. Couple years, 1 good leave the lights on and they won't take a charge. I switched back to my favorite. "just get the biggest lead-acid bat-rey that fits."

I was getting 2 years out of the optimas. This big yellow lead-acid one must have 6 years on it.

The 63 Austin Healey sits in a truck trailer all winter in Michigan. (No mice in the trailer, but they are in the barn.) It had a lead-acid that surely froze solid every winter for 10 years, yet it still could crank up a big I-6 through a 10 foot battery cable come summer. That bat-rey was called,"The Bruiser," according to the sticker on it. When I bought it, I went up to the counter, told the parts kid I needed a bat-rey and he fires up the computer. (I cringe. The computer was notorious for telling me that the 63 Healey didn't have things like batteries, radiator hoses, brake shoes, etc.) "What kinda car?" The kid asks. I reply after thinking quickly. "Uh, Cad-a-lac. Big sucker. 1973. power EVERYTHING."
The kid returns 10 minutes later with "The Bruiser" bat-rey. He is unable to lift it onto the counter. I said, "YUP! That's it!"

Last edited by leiniesred; 12-22-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

I had an extra yellow top not being used so I put in it our Honda cuz it needed one. After not to long the ol' check engine light came on. A year or so I think. Turns out after two new alternators it was the yellow top all along. Wouldn't take a charge. So now it has the ol' basic lead acid battery in it. Now on the other hand the red top that is currently in my 62, cuz my runner is not back on the road yet, was purchased before the very first Cruise Moab and is running quite strong. That's ten years if my math is right.
________
Threesome Bikini

Last edited by Cheeseman; 04-01-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I've got a yellow top blem in my 40 and it's been going strong for 4-5 years now.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.