Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
Hey Bill, what batteries are you going to try next? I'm about done with Optimas, myself.

BTW, you need to do a write-up on your dual battery setup. If you don't document it on the web, how am I supposed to copy it?

Mark
If I do a write-up, you won't come over, you'll just browse-N-steal! So what are you running instead of Optimas? Exides?

Actually, I am on the hook to write an article on a Mobi-Arc isolater to replace my solenoid. So it will happen. When my tuitts aren't square.

If I selected something other than a pair of Optimas, I'd have to have something that would lay on its side and be about the same size. Else, I'd have to rework my homemade battery carrier and I'm lazy.

They were fine before the zapper action.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO
I'll chip in $50.00 for you toward the cost of the new batteries. God knows you deserve it for all you do.

I'll match Treeroot! That should at least cover one of them. I consider it a very small price to pay for the countless meetings RC has sat through in Boulder polishing our club name! It would be my honor!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
I'll match Treeroot! That should at least cover one of them. I consider it a very small price to pay for the countless meetings RC has sat through in Boulder polishing our club name! It would be my honor!
I don't know if I would want to be on the board as a club polisher
Old 12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'll even chip in
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

My four year old Yellow Top that has been drained but never allowed to go completely flat is showing signs of not holding a charge this season. Same with the Red Top in the Jag that doesn't get run often enough this time of year and it's only two years old. Anyone had any experience with the Orbital dry cells?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
If I do a write-up, you won't come over, you'll just browse-N-steal! So what are you running instead of Optimas? Exides?

Actually, I am on the hook to write an article on a Mobi-Arc isolater to replace my solenoid. So it will happen. When my tuitts aren't square.

If I selected something other than a pair of Optimas, I'd have to have something that would lay on its side and be about the same size. Else, I'd have to rework my homemade battery carrier and I'm lazy.

They were fine before the zapper action.
Well, yeah!!

I'd consider these, but don't know anything about them other than what Roger wrote.

I'm still running a red top, but have drained it a few times. It seems like once these things get run down, they are never the same and never hold a charge as well.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have an Orbital and a Yellow top in my dual battery setup. The Orbital was my primary battery for a year and that's also what I put in Rachels truck. For the last year, it has been my backup battery as everything is hooked to my main and that requires the Yellow top deep cycle.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Trail Ready

I have also had issues with my Red Top not holding a charge that well after being sucked down. I just bought an Odyssey PC1700MJT for my 99 LC. They are a little spendy but I have yet to see or hear of a bad review.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 12-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm... You fellers are a way better crew than I deserve.
I called AutoZone and they said they have never had a bad Yellowtop returned to that store. Said I should just put it on a charger for a while. The reason I got Yellowtops was so that I could drain them, charge them, and should be good as new being deep cycle.

So in all fairness it is possible that since Yankee Doodle the dang things have just never been fully recharged. 'Tis possible. The stock 5VZ alternator isn't THAT powerful, maybe it didn't charge them back up fully while driving. I'll give it a go with the 6A charger for a while and see.

I got two years out of one, and three out of the other, so it could be worse. We'll see.

Ain't doin' no more batt welding though! Unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and something breaks I guess.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

recharges on deep cycles dooo take longer bill. They are meant to be fully drained, then FULLY charged. I have an 8 yr old yellow top prototype from the factory (sister in law used to work there) with about 5 years actual use. Works awesome still. It will take about 24 hours to charge that sucka though.