Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Question Lift input needed

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on getting my lift. I am comparing two different companies, Marlin and All-Pro Off Road. Prices are within a few dollars of each other. Problem with Marlin is everytime I call there is nobody to answer, very annoying. All Pro answer the phone but during an online chat one of their sales man really tore into Trail gear and Marlin. I don't care for that, he could have compared the products but instead attacked the people.

I am looking at getting the complete kit from either one. I am thinking 4" up front and 5" in rear to level the 4runner. Then a 1-2" body lift, suggested to me, to raise the tank etc. Both say they use US springs, the All Pro kit offers Johny joints for the rear as a $90 upgrade and 5150 Bilstein for $80 upgrade, not sure if I need 5150's but???

Does anybody have either one of these kits? Any expierence with them or the companies? Any other lifts that I MUST look at first??? Give me your input, I need to decide soon, I already missed the Snow run deadline to be ready with my lift so...........

So here we are, MArlin vs. All Pro................and the winner is

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/sus...n/lift_kit.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me

Last edited by RockRunner; 12-28-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Link was bad
Old 12-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB
Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.
Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Lifted

I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner
Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmandrake
I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt
Thanks for the info, I looked at Alcan but they only provide the springs. I want to get all of the stuff in one shot. Makes it a little easier

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.
I hear you, I want to spend my money with them but.................a call back would be nice.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you haven't already, log into the forums off of marlins web site and send a pm to Chris Geiger or post up on the marlin/customer svc thread. He is usually very good about responding. I also vote marlin, he sends me an xmas card every year.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I thought Chris Ceiger was Trail -Gear now??? II thought he used to work there but then left for his own company, I could be wrong but.......

I do like Marlin's stuff but making contact with a company should not be that hard.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Chris is no longer at Marlin. The reason that A-P tore into Marlin and then Trail-Gear is Chris, who left A-P for Marlin, then did the same and formed Trail-Gear. All soap opera.

Marlin is stand up. But really, shopping springs (if you stay stock length in front and +9" longer in the rear) from Alcan is no big deal, Alcan makes incrementally better springs. Get the rest from Marlin IMHO. Even if you have to wait a bit.

But A-P will do you fine. Just realize their springs give more lift (sometimes inches more) than advertised.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.