Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default 80 series dual battery install

This new forum needs an actual tech post, dang it. So yeah, slowly but surely I'm working on the daul battery setup. My main reasons are that I want to run all my aux. lights, inverter, fridge (someday.. ), and winch off of a second source, so the main battery is mainly used for starting, and keeping the CTF electronics of the truck running. Christo has a write-up on his site, and there are a couple good mud posts as well. Most of you know Drew Pollock from Moab, here is his write-up, and RavenTai's write-up is also good, though different. So to start, if you all could just please read those first, I'll join you again in about 6 hours.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

So what I need to figure out is what kind of solenoid to use, and do I want to have a bunch of switches? then how to wire it all up. I really think simpler is better, even if it means living with a couple fewer options. Here is a solenoid switch similar to Christo's marine switch, and I seem to run across the name Hellroaring a lot. That's about as far as I've got on this.. other than staring at Uncle Ben's setup a couple months ago.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I seem to recall Butch Baker having a really nice setup in his 40, that I was checking out at CM2004. You might see if you can e-mail him and get some pictures and details. He had a big marine switch so that he could run either battery alone or both at the same time.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Alright so I've made my decision.. after about 8 hours of research over the past 2 weeks, some phone conversations, Mud PM's... I decided I'm going with a Hellroaring BIC 95300A Also getting a remote module that I'll wire to the dash area somehow. This is what Hellroaring describes as their "basic backup" setup, the best they currently offer and easiest to install. Also I'm getting a fusible link for the 2nd battery ground, for some added protection.

All of my accessories will continue to run from the main battery, including the winch. That needs to be a deep cycle battery, I haven't completely decided yet but it probably won't be an Optima yellow top. The other battery will be left exclusively for starting backup, and it doesn't have to be a deep cycle. When I switch the remote deal then it'll get combined with the first battery for winching and emergency starting. So as I understand it, when combined my winch should supposedly be 3x more powerful.

And contrary to popular opinion, the two batteries do not need to be the same, or the same age, since they never "see each other." Another benefit is I can plop in my camper battery to the second tray, then let it reach full charge on the way to the camp site.. so theoretically have 3 batteries between the cruiser & camper, without harming the isolater system or either battery. Questions? discuss... :p

Where's a good place up north to get some monster battery cable wire?

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 08-29-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
Alright so I've made my decision.. after about 8 hours of research over the past 2 weeks, some phone conversations, Mud PM's... I decided I'm going with a Hellroaring BIC 95300A Also getting a remote module that I'll wire to the dash area somehow. This is what Hellroaring describes as their "basic backup" setup, the best they currently offer and easiest to install. Also I'm getting a fusible link for the 2nd battery ground, for some added protection.

All of my accessories will continue to run from the main battery, including the winch. That needs to be a deep cycle battery, I haven't completely decided yet but it probably won't be an Optima yellow top. The other battery will be left exclusively for starting backup, and it doesn't have to be a deep cycle. When I switch the remote deal then it'll get combined with the first battery for winching and emergency starting. So as I understand it, when combined my winch should supposedly be 3x more powerful.

And contrary to popular opinion, the two batteries do not need to be the same, or the same age, since they never "see each other." Another benefit is I can plop in my camper battery to the second tray, then let it reach full charge on the way to the camp site.. so theoretically have 3 batteries between the cruiser & camper, without harming the isolater system or either battery. Questions? discuss... :p

Where's a good place up north to get some monster battery cable wire?
General Air and Supply or any welding supply shop.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Old thread revival....Is the cable from the welding supply shops a quality grade that is fine stranded cable?
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

I got my cable at Napa, they cut it off a roll
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I got my cable at Napa, they cut it off a roll
Is yours a fine stranded cable or can you count the number of strands?
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

I can't now that its installed, I do remember it having strands. I would call them and ask what theirs is like.

Been 30 months, and my memory isn't that good
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just buy welding wire. Much easier to use.