Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default New USFS Chief

USDA ANNOUNCES ABIGAIL KIMBELL AS THE 16TH CHIEF OF THE FOREST SERVICE

Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth Announces his Retirement

WASHINGTON, January 12, 2007 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture today announced the selection of Abigail Kimbell as the 16th chief of the Forest Service. Kimbell succeeds Chief Dale Bosworth, who is retiring on Feb. 2 after 41 years with the Forest Service.
"Abigail Kimbell is a veteran of the Forest Service who began as a seasonal worker and has since filled an impressive series of field assignments," said Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns. "Gail brings a wealth of knowledge to her new position. She is well respected both within the agency and by our stakeholders. I'm confident she will do a terrific job as chief."
"I am grateful to Dale Bosworth for his 41 years of public service and especially for the tremendous leadership he provided during his six years as chief," Johanns continued. "I am struck by all that the Forest Service accomplished under his watch, from advancing the Healthy Forest Initiative to a four-fold increase in fuels treatment work. He also bolstered the agency's financial system, making it a source of pride government wide. I wish Dale all the best in retirement."
Kimbell currently serves as Regional Forester for the Northern Region in Missoula, Montana, which includes northern Idaho, and North Dakota. As Forest Service Chief, Kimbell will oversee an organization of over 30,000 employees and a budget of just over $4 billion. Before becoming regional forester, Kimbell served in the Washington Office as Associate Deputy Chief for the National Forest System, with responsibility for assisting in the development of the Healthy Forest Restoration

Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, she's in the back pocket of the big logging companies. Remember the "healthy forests initiative" ??

"Tuh stop furest fars, yuh got to re-moov the fyool."

Yes, if you clear-cut the forest, it certainly won't burn.

I'm not a tree-hugger, but I do like to recreate on public land that has trees. She's also a proponent of closing public campgrounds to lower the forest service budget.
KDøGWM
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
...He also bolstered the agency's financial system, making it a source of pride government wide.
Apparently she is also a politician. Or at least has a warped sense of pride... The USFS can't get ANYTHING funded.

In all fairness, the fuels treatment I've seen in the BRD and other places is very appropriate, a long way from clearcutting. I remember the James Watt days... and bald mountains!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post

In all fairness, the fuels treatment I've seen in the BRD and other places is very appropriate, a long way from clearcutting. I remember the James Watt days... and bald mountains!
Yeah, the main difference now is that they leave a barrier of trees along roads to block your view of the cuts. Out of sight out of mind. It doesn't seem as prevelant here in Colorado where most everything is second and third growth compared to the Northern and PNW forests where there are still big trees and lots of logging activity. (at least until they start cutting the beetle killed trees here).

Funding for our public lands and parks is really suffering right now, but lets throw another couple billion at this war... oops!

rant off.
KDøGWM
Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Funding for our public lands and parks is really suffering right now, but lets throw another couple billion at this war... oops!
But she said the USFS budget was the pride of the gov't!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
But she said the USFS budget was the pride of the gov't!
What does that mean, in relation to defecit spending?

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Funding for our public lands and parks is really suffering right now, but lets throw another couple billion at this war...
That's a couple billion PER DAY, mind you...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's a couple billion PER DAY, mind you...
Close. Just over 200Million per Day, with a running total of about $360 Billion taxpayer dollars, so far...
KDøGWM
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok now I'm depressed.

Back to the other off-topic topic, have you guys seen all the beetle kill up near Lake Grandby/Grand Lake? It's a sea of red in a lot of places, wow...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I know it burns well I turned off the heater and have been burning the beetle kill. I am just about out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ok now I'm depressed.

Back to the other off-topic topic, have you guys seen all the beetle kill up near Lake Grandby/Grand Lake? It's a sea of red in a lot of places, wow...
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133