Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default winch fairlead debate?

I thought it interesting reading Bill Burke's column last night in the new Zartman mag (4WDTO) how he was ragging on everyone who has immediately switched to the hawse fairlead when switching to synthetic cable... almost in panic. He stated that the odds of pinching the synthetic line in a corner is very unlikely, and you're doing more damage to your synthetic line by allowing it to bend at the sharper angle induced by the hawse fairlead, so you're better off keeping the rollers if you want the synthetic line to last.

I must admit that makes some sense.. I'm still on cable but now I doubt I'll swap out the rollers right away when/if I switch to synthetic.

discuss... :popcorn:

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Not really related but Harbor Frieght has some nice rollers for 25 bucks! Thats a screaming deal.

The thought makes sense... and I bet Bill has used a winch once or twice before.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

At the rate I use my winch, once or twice a year, i'll never need synthetic and at the rate I would potentually use my winch with synthetic and a hawse I'd never have an issue with it lasting.

For me this is mibs so I don't have an issue either way.

I guess i'm not wheeling hard enough
TLCA#4180
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I thought it interesting reading Bill Burke's column last night in the new Zartman mag (4WDTO) how he was ragging on everyone who has immediately switched to the hawse fairlead when switching to synthetic cable... almost in panic. He stated that the odds of pinching the synthetic line in a corner is very unlikely, and you're doing more damage to your synthetic line by allowing it to bend at the sharper angle induced by the hawse fairlead, so you're better off keeping the rollers if you want the synthetic line to last.

I must admit that makes some sense.. I'm still on cable but now I doubt I'll swap out the rollers right away when/if I switch to synthetic.

discuss... :popcorn:

Early on in this ongoing debate of rollers vrs. hawse a large school of thought against rollers was two fold. 1. the issue Nak mentions about the rope getting pulled into the roller end. 2. Switching to syn. rope and using used rollers which have wire rope scars already. The conscientious was that using a NEW polished aluminum fairlead was the most safe solution to both issues. Of course rollers will work better than a hawse as far as reducing friction and sharp angles ONLY if the rollers have no scars and actually roll so the rope won't slide into the corner.

I have to admit it has taken me a while to accept syn. rope. I did install it on my 80 as I set it up for a few reasons. The foremost reason was I doubted I would use it much and 6#'s for 125' of 5/16 rope vrs 70#'s for 95' of 3/8" rope made perfect sense to me. I planned ahead in my selections and chose a winch that had enough power that I wouldn't need to double line it and 5/16" syn. rope has well nearly twice my vehicles weight capacity in working strength. More rope, faster and ample single line pull, syn. rope almost 12 times lighter than wire rope, minimal kinetic energy loading means friends/family hopefully won't be beheaded if cable fails!
I still am totally amazed when using my 80's winch setup! It just doesn't seem possible that the weightless blue rope can handle the insane loads that it does. When TR and I did the Jenny Creek Tuesday run after the resto work was completed and we tested the winch anchor it was incredible to see all four tires of the heavy 80 sliding up the steep hill towards the anchor with only one thin blue line connecting it! Even more amazing was when I finished and played out the winch to unhook it immediately slacked indicating very little/if any kinetic energy loading! I still have my doubt's but it seems to just be in my head as the cable has more than adequately showed it's mettle without metal!
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 01-17-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I switched to a hawse type fairlead with rope mainly because the hawse sticks out an inch and the warn rollers about 4 inches. I'll sell my barely used Warn roller fairlead for $20.

I switched to rope because my metal cable was frayed and painful at times.

Rope is nicer to work with, less weight on the front bumper, safer when it breaks, easier to field fix when it does, and really pulls in the chicks.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post

Rope is nicer to work with, less weight on the front bumper, safer when it breaks, easier to field fix when it does, and really pulls in the chicks.

4 outta 5 perks isn't bad!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am happy with the "fairlead" I put in my bumper, it's really just a rectangular openning of 5/8th's 304 stainless pipe, I copied it off of a couple of comp buggies I saw. being stainless, it's surface hardness stands up to the steel cable quite well.

I am waiting for cash to go to rope for the reasons Kev stated.. Weight..
Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

eh, How often do you really use the rollers? Really only in a side pull. Its not often you're pulling hard up or down, and I at least rarely have a hard side pull. I use an aluminum hawse with synthetic, and can't say I worry about it. I replace my synthetic every couple of years anyhow to be safe.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Trail Ready

First, let me say that when you run a featherweight rig like the Gnewt, and only need a 6,000 pound winch, the switch to synthetic is amazing!

I went from 80 feet of 5/16 inch steel, to 175 feet of 1/4 inch synthetic. Holy cats man, I can winch myself into the next county!

Now, my roller fairlead, had some scarring on it, and that caused me a lot of concern. I took each roller out, and smoothed it down as best I could. I'm still not really comfortable with this setup, and I am seriously considering going with the Spidertrax aluminum hawse fairlead.

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I put the Delrin ( I think thats right) rollers on when I put rope on the 80. I have had both hawse and rollers and dont see much difference in them. If you clean up your metal rollers you probally wont have any problems.
Dan
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008