Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
art hog art hog is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: rollinsville Co
Posts: 414
Default need service for a 85 toyota truck.

any recomendations? for a head gasket and timing change. near golden or close to.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,217
Default

Joe Calleja at Colorado Toyota Specialists in Aspen Park. (303) 838-4772. He's a Rising Sun member and expert on 22REs. I've used him a number of times for my daughter's 85 runner when I didn't have time to deal with it, including head gasket and timing chain.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
nuclearlemon's Avatar
nuclearlemon nuclearlemon is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,708
Default

don't know about the head gasket, but the timing chain is easy to do.
__________________
ige tlca #1431
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
don't know about the head gasket, but the timing chain is easy to do.
Doing the timing chain on a 20R/22R/22RE requires removing the head...and the rad, and... :-(

Bummer thing about these is that chain itself is usually fine, it's almost always the tensioner and guide that needs replacing.

While all the manuals say you MUST remove the head to do the chain, Joe told me about a trick he knows of where he doesn't have to actually remove the head. I looked at it and looked back at him and scratched mine. He then confided that it was quite a trick and was actually a PITA.
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 AM
nuclearlemon's Avatar
nuclearlemon nuclearlemon is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Doing the timing chain on a 20R/22R/22RE requires removing the head...and the rad, and... :-(

Bummer thing about these is that chain itself is usually fine, it's almost always the tensioner and guide that needs replacing.

While all the manuals say you MUST remove the head to do the chain, Joe told me about a trick he knows of where he doesn't have to actually remove the head. I looked at it and looked back at him and scratched mine. He then confided that it was quite a trick and was actually a PITA.
i didn't have to remove the head or pan when i did mine. it was a piece of cake. frank morgan from pederson toyota told me they never remove the head to do t/c
__________________
ige tlca #1431
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Red_Chili's Avatar
Red_Chili Red_Chili is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton CO
Posts: 8,409
Default

The HGs have a service life, however, and it's worth it to replace the HG while you're in there - then forget about it for another 120K. A weak HG can erode the head and block, which starts getting very expensive. Don't ask me how I know that - let's just say the Chili had the shortcut version prior to my purchasing it.
__________________
-Bill Morgan
Heb Dduw, heb ddim; Duw a digon
Abnormally aspirated
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Three Wheel Ben's Avatar
Three Wheel Ben Three Wheel Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The HGs have a service life, however, and it's worth it to replace the HG while you're in there - then forget about it for another 120K. A weak HG can erode the head and block, which starts getting very expensive. Don't ask me how I know that - let's just say the Chili had the shortcut version prior to my purchasing it.
X2 Cheap insurance.
__________________
KC0ZBI
85 4Runner, 1UZ in process
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
isotel's Avatar
isotel isotel is offline
Trail Ready
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Crawlorado Springs
Posts: 468
Default

im about to tackle this job on my 4runner 22re.. I was under the assumption that if you pull the head for a gasket, you should send the head to a machine shop to have it looked at and milled.. I dont know if i want to get into that.. My main issue is that the front timing chain cover leaks like Crazy.. and i got almost 160k on the clock..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
nuclearlemon's Avatar
nuclearlemon nuclearlemon is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,708
Default

[quote=DaveInDenver;24987]although some people say you can just bend the front lip of the pan. IQUOTE]

i didn't have to bend mine
__________________
ige tlca #1431
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Rzeppa's Avatar
Rzeppa Rzeppa is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kittredge CO, USA
Posts: 5,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
the 22R-E is in fact a non-interference engine and when the chain does break at least you don't crunch valves.
First-hand experience: The 22RE IS an interference engine. Timing chain slips and you have bent valves and gouges on the piston tops. $$$
__________________
Jeff Zepp
Kittredge CO USA
1971 & 1976 FJ40s, 1978 FJ45, 1987 FJ60
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.