Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
Here's the link to the DMV site as well. I found some of the forms on there in PDF format. They also have an online VIN check and vehicle hisory function but it costs a few bucks.

Colorado DMV

Can they do a VIN check on that old of vehicle? My experience is that anything 1980 or older (IIRC) can't be run by Carfax and what not due to VIN change to 17 characters. So, when you try to enter a FJ40 VIN you get a message that the VIN is invalid. Maybe the DMV checks their own database as opposed to outside sources?

And, not to bust your chops but the link you provided is not to the actual CO DMV website. It looks like it but it is actually some dmv.org site. Pretty deceptive that has tricked me numerous times in the past. The true CO DMV site is

CO DMV

And here is the registration and title FAQ page with some (sometimes) helpful info including #10 "If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?"

FAQs
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Can they do a VIN check on that old of vehicle? My experience is that anything 1980 or older (IIRC) can't be run by Carfax and what not due to VIN change to 17 characters. So, when you try to enter a FJ40 VIN you get a message that the VIN is invalid. Maybe the DMV checks their own database as opposed to outside sources?

And, not to bust your chops but the link you provided is not to the actual CO DMV website. It looks like it but it is actually some dmv.org site. Pretty deceptive that has tricked me numerous times in the past. The true CO DMV site is

CO DMV

And here is the registration and title FAQ page with some (sometimes) helpful info including #10 "If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?"

FAQs

You are correct. My bad.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nah...you're good - it is that stinkin' site that is bad. I can't tell you how many times I went to it while researching trying to buy a FJ40 from VT with no title (oh the bad memories )...Turned out to be a guy selling off an estates assets of one of the properties he was living on

My new motto...No title, no buy

Took me awhile to figure out something wasn't right about that website and it doesn't help that it is usually the first and most obvious link that pops up when you Google "Colorado DMV"
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 01-24-2007 at 05:55 PM.