Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Jeff, it's 5.5 hours, 6 hours tops. That's with 33's, stock gears, no S/C, getting down to 25-30mph up by the tunnel, then 75ish when it flattens out. If the kids need more stops then you can add for that, but NFW it's 7-8 hours unless the kids are playing some sort of drinking game...

It's one tank of gas to get to Fruita, still at 3/4 by the time you hit Moab..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
80, pulling a popup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post

Since we'll be pulling a pop-up I'd like to find a flat route to Moab but will probably just take I70 all the way and go for the shortest route possible.

For those that have BTDT in an 80 pulling a pop-up how long does it realistically take getting from Denver to Moab via I70? ...

All you guys with 40's opting to drive the Pink Panty mobiles instead... isn't this CM sacrilage of some kind?

At any rate, it excludes me from tagging along on your scenic route, since my 40 can't keep up with an 80. Or an 80 pulling a pop-up. or an 80 pulling a pop-up up a steep hill into a headwind...
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

How fast can you go up the hill by Loveland, right before the tunnel? Seriously, I hit 25. but dude if we take the road less traveled we can throw rate out the window.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Trail Ready

If I was driving my trail rig, and not trailering it, AND if the trail was open (which it apparently is not), and there wasn't 10 feet of snow on the trail (which there would be, in May), I would go Up Jenny Creek trail, then over the Boulder Wagon Road, over Rollins Pass, into Winter Park, then take US40 to Kremmling, then over Gore Pass on CO 134, then up CO 131 to Yampa, and hang a left at Yampa, taking the scenic byway (pronounced gravel road) to Meeker, then drop down to I-70 at Rifle on CO 13. Then I would take the river road to Moab...

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Jeff, it's 5.5 hours, 6 hours tops. That's with 33's, stock gears, no S/C, getting down to 25-30mph up by the tunnel, then 75ish when it flattens out. If the kids need more stops then you can add for that, but NFW it's 7-8 hours unless the kids are playing some sort of drinking game...

It's one tank of gas to get to Fruita, still at 3/4 by the time you hit Moab..
Good news Tim

I've been to Moab once following behind a RV pulling a Jeep and it took forever (so it seemed). But in the end with my and two it might take us the 7-8 hours . A 3 yr old and 7 yr old need lots of 'potty breaks'
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 02-09-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
At any rate, it excludes me from tagging along on your scenic route, since my 40 can't keep up with an 80. Or an 80 pulling a pop-up. or an 80 pulling a pop-up up a steep hill into a headwind...
Martin,

You can follow me or I'll follow you . Seriously though, when I drove my '76 FJ40 to Glenwood Springs back when I had no trouble running 65+ most of the time and it pulled the hills in 3rd gear just fine. I might pass you going downhill but I just can't see being able to keep up with you going up a long hill. But, this is coming from zero experience towing a pop-up with the LX so far. We'll see. Maybe Ken will give me a strap pull up the hills
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Rising Sun member

Martin, on the hills you could keep up with an 80 pulling a camper. It's the flats where they can open up to 75 that they'll lose you.

And Bobzooki, I thought Rollins Pass was closed to all motor traffic.
Otherwise that'd be a cool alternative route in the fall!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just a bit of sarcasm. My 40 is actually pretty speedy, trounces my 60 in the hills, no problem. Guess my dry sense of humor doesn't translate well over the 'net.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

LOL! Nice thread!

I normally cruise 75 on the flat in my trail 40 to and from Moab every year. I always take the first Cisco turnoff (get me the HECK off this highway!!!). Plus that's a wonderful scenic route. When I'm limping home with patched-up trail-repaired parts I take 191, when I'm all good to go I take the scenic route back to I-70.

I would expect any of the several alternate southern routes would include an overnight to make it an enjoyable trip instead of a forced-march endurance run. Especially with family.

In my 1971 40 with stock F and stock carb, I normally average around 16-18 MPG and stop to refill and have lunch at around the halfway mark in Glenwood in each direction. On 5/1/04 I got 21.4 MPG into a headwind driving from Glenwood to Moab. This will be the first year driving up the passes with a 4 speed in that rig, it will be interesting to see what my terminal speed uphill will be in 3rd versus 2nd in the old 3-on-the-tree.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
LOL! Nice thread!

I normally cruise 75 on the flat in my trail 40 to and from Moab every year. I always take the first Cisco turnoff (get me the HECK off this highway!!!). Plus that's a wonderful scenic route. When I'm limping home with patched-up trail-repaired parts I take 191, when I'm all good to go I take the scenic route back to I-70.

I would expect any of the several alternate southern routes would include an overnight to make it an enjoyable trip instead of a forced-march endurance run. Especially with family.

In my 1971 40 with stock F and stock carb, I normally average around 16-18 MPG and stop to refill and have lunch at around the halfway mark in Glenwood in each direction. On 5/1/04 I got 21.4 MPG into a headwind driving from Glenwood to Moab. This will be the first year driving up the passes with a 4 speed in that rig, it will be interesting to see what my terminal speed uphill will be in 3rd versus 2nd in the old 3-on-the-tree.
Jeff, did you see Marks write-up on MUD about the "four on the tree"?

Four on the tree.