Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
Jeff, did you see Marks write-up on MUD about the "four on the tree"?

Four on the tree.
No, I seldom go to any other board than here, but I assume you are referring to Mark Algazy. He's a great friend and we share many of the same philosophies, both about cruisers and about life. When he rode shotgun with me on our Rising Sun Bill Moore Lake run this past summer, we discussed his ideas for a four on the tree.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
No, I seldom go to any other board than here, but I assume you are referring to Mark Algazy. He's a great friend and we share many of the same philosophies, both about cruisers and about life. When he rode shotgun with me on our Rising Sun Bill Moore Lake run this past summer, we discussed his ideas for a four on the tree.
Yeah, that Mark. His vision is reality. Pretty cool. Benefits of the four speed with the coool of the tree shift.

I, on the otherhand, will likely be cruising to Moab this year with my trusty 3 speed unless funds and time allow me to upgrade.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN View Post
Yeah, that Mark. His vision is reality. Pretty cool. Benefits of the four speed with the coool of the tree shift.

I, on the otherhand, will likely be cruising to Moab this year with my trusty 3 speed unless funds and time allow me to upgrade.
Cool. I have done Cruise Moab with the J30 and 3-on-the-tree every year I have wheeled that 40 there, and it has worked fine for me. I had the old H42 from my 76 lying on the garage floor for many years before I finally stuck it in there this past summer. I really miss the way it kept the shifter from bonking the knees of the middle passenger on my stock bench front seat. I did at least retain the dash-mounted vacuum front axle engagement and hi-lo range shifter. Other than the crappy clutch pressure plate that came in the kit I got, I am very pleased with the H42/3-speed t-case combo. But a 4-on-the-tree would be a great upgrade.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
And Bobzooki, I thought Rollins Pass was closed to all motor traffic.
Yes, absolutely - that's why I said "if the trail was open".

Interestingly, the forest service marked it "closed" from the Jenny Creek side long before they marked it "closed" from the Winter Park side. I went over it one time from the Winter Park side, and got to Yankee Doodle Lake, and a "Trail Closed" sign. The last time I was up there, there was a continuous stream of ATV's crossing back and forth. There are some absolutely SWEET campsites up on top. These are now "backpacking destinations" for me. There is one spot that is absolutely breathtaking for watching the Harvest Moon rising...

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm hoping to get there this year...trip will be in a 40...with a tree-fiddy...so the hills shouldn't be so bad...the the pocketbook on the other hand...
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 02-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hello Bob,
Someone told me they changed the number on highway 666..
We used to come home from Monticello Via 666 and then past the turn off to telluride, through Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, and 285...

There is a REALLY back way that takes some back roads, and you have to ford across the Dolores river near the Dewey state bridge.... Never done it, but always wanted to. probably not one for towing a trailer...
Old 02-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

My favorite way to get to Telluride is through Gunnison, south to Lake City and over either Engineer Pass or Cinnamon pass to Silverton/Ouray area and then Imogene over to Telluride. Kinda tough with a trailer, though.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
Hello Bob,
Someone told me they changed the number on highway 666..
We used to come home from Monticello Via 666 and then past the turn off to telluride, through Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, and 285...

There is a REALLY back way that takes some back roads, and you have to ford across the Dolores river near the Dewey state bridge.... Never done it, but always wanted to. probably not one for towing a trailer...
Sounds like the Kokopelli Trail. Some of it is singletrack. SOME of it is closed to motor vehicles, but there are bypasses that are not.

Gonna ride it on St. Paddy's weekend, a bit early in the year but hey, I gotta get out in God's country! If anybody wants to ride a competent dirt scooter in some fun country going to Moab, PM me. Some of the route is, um, challenging.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Kokopelli Trail

I rode it last year during Cruise Moab on my hard-tail bicycle.

I don't remember crossing the Delores river. We crossed on dewey bridge. There was another bridge over some crick south of Fruita too.
There was SOME paved rode riding, but not very much at all. Maybe 25 miles.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I would take 70 to GJ go south on hwy 50 then take 141 to gateway and down to Nucla and then across to 90 to la sal jnct.

There are a bunch of little roads from gateway to castleton or moab but I've never been on them. I'm guessing they are dirt roads...
I've only ever driven the 128 and 191 routes.

However, in checking MapSource (the routing software from Garmin), it appears that there's a route from just outside of Gateway, directly into downtown Moab.

Here are the major junctions (according to MapSource):

Gateway (on the 141, south of GJ)
Go south on 141 (about one mile)
At John Brown Rd, turn Right (West) on John Brown Road
At Road 5/10 (6 miles), make a hard left to stay on John Brown
At Road 1/10 (1.4 miles), make a hard left onto Gateway
At Castleton Rd (2.5 miles), turn/stay left onto Castleton
At Gateway (8.9 miles), turn/stay left onto Gateway
At Lasal Mountain Loop (3.2 miles), turn left onto Lasal Mountain Loop
At Sand Flats Rd (4.8 miles), turn Right onto Sand Flats Rd
At Mill Creek (9.6 miles), turn/stay right onto Mill Creek
At Road 400, turn right onto 400
At Center, turn left onto Center
in 4 blocks you're at Hwy 191 in downtown Moab

In checking the route in Google Earth, it appears to be mostly a "truck trail", and would probably be sketchy going through the La Sals if there's a late snow.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune