Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Home brewers?

Just a check on who in the club is into making thier own barley pop?
My sweet wife and kids set me up for my birthday with a very deluxe setup. Tonight I just cooked up my first batch. I enjoyed the process very much! Gotta add the yeast when it cools another 10* and then the wait will be on! PS....house smells great!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I've brewed a couple of batches. It's fun, and the best part is enjoying the results! I quickly found that the 24 oz bottles were a good investment, since I always shared anyway, and they were easier to clean. Cheers!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
My sweet wife and kids set me up for my birthday with a very deluxe setup. Tonight I just cooked up my first batch. I enjoyed the process very much! Gotta add the yeast when it cools another 10* and then the wait will be on! PS....house smells great!

Ah ha!! So that's why you had me drink all that beer. Gave you empty beer botles. And here I thought you were just tryin to take advantage of me

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Wasatch Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
Ah ha!! So that's why you had me drink all that beer. Gave you empty beer botles. And here I thought you were just tryin to take advantage of me
I say run what brung ya!
I do the cheap "Mr.Beer" stuff, I dont have much time to do the good stuff.

But perhaps, I have no say, Im not in the club
TLCA #8382
Wasatch Cruisers
Home of the cruiser rings
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Right on, I love that smell too.

I've been brewing since college (~10 yrs). Nothing too hardcore, usually a mix of malt extract and specialty grains. Haven't tried all-grain brewing yet. I have all the ingredients for a batch of Imperial Stout ready to go. My next investment is going to be a kegging system, washing and sterilizing bottles is the worst part of the whole process. I use growlers with reusable pressure caps for part of each batch, works good. Most worthwhile peice of equipement I've picked up is an immersion wort chiller. It will cool the wort from boiling down to 75 degrees in about 10 - 15 minutes. Here's a great website for supplies:

Northern Brewer

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm a beginning beer maker trying to fill a family hole in our home alcohol product line. My grandma makes about 20 gallons of wine/year and once in a while my grandpa will fire up his OEM Prohibition era still.

He is an active member of a Pheasant Club where they raise and release birds so people have something to shoot at like in the old days. I've seen the operation.
A row of incubators in a barn: eggs, eggs, chicks, tub of mash? eggs....He uses an incubator for a temperature controlled environment to work his mash.
He keeps his kit in straw filled wooden crates tucked away in a truck trailer out to the pole barn. When the time comes, he boils off his mash in the woods. "I switched to propane." oh yeah, why? "Less smoke." (The revenuers must still be out there after him.) The remains after boiling are fed to the pigs. The good stuff is stored in ball jars. I've shared some of his product with him. Sometimes, we cut it with scotch to "take the edge off." Wicked stuff.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I've gone to one of those "U Brew It" places several times, they had one in Boulder in Table Mesa until about a year ago when he closed. It was exactly the amount of involvement I wanted to have with this hobby- you get 3-4 guys together, set the date then you all go in and brew a batch. They have evertything there, you just have to find & weigh out all the ingredients, grind up the grains, then do the cookin'. Drinking beer was encouraged while you did this.

The brewing process lasted about 2 hours, when you're done they drain it all into a big plastic carboy & add the yeast. You go back with your same group 2 weeks later and your beer is in kegs, then you work the bottles for about 2 hours, sampling everything in the process. Batches were usually $100-$150 each, we'd always just split the cost so everyone paid the same, then divide the beer up at the end, so you walked away with about 6 cases of bombers, 3-4 different flavors.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Trail Ready

This thread is reminding me that I'm not drinking enough beer these days. Although this extended winter has made me rediscover stouts. I'll make sure I drink some this weekend to catch up.

Oh yeah, back on topic - I've always been interested in brewing but never actually done it, space, time and $ constraints have always scared me away, but I have read Michael Jackson's book several times, and several years ago I did force my way through a few cases of Grolsch to get the cool bottles in anticipation of brewing. Finally took 3 cases of those big bottles to recycling when we moved this last summer.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Lifted

A friend of mine has the Brew Hut (15108 E. Hampden Ave. Aurora, CO 80014). They sell all kinds of equipment and they brew lots of their own beer in the attached brewery (11 flavors on tap) and they give great advice. I'm far too lazy to brew my own, but they make some awesome beer. They won a gold medal at the 2006 World Beer Cup. I just buy the growlers.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I did years ago and loved it, but I don't have time now. I do have time to help you consume the results of your efforts though

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas