Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmatt View Post
This thread is reminding me that I'm not drinking enough beer these days.
I tell myself that every day...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
rage, rage, against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Old 02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Trail Ready

I tried making beer once, and it turned out OK, but making wine is SO MUCH EASIER, that I stick with what I'm good at. Besides, now that I'm a Diabetic, beer is pretty much off the menu. Dry red wines won't spike my blood-sugar. I just had a batch of Merlot go crazy on me - I now have Sparkling Merlot. Totally unexpected. That stuff sat in the carboy for three months, without so much as a bubble - then after it was bottled, obviously, the yeast "woke up" and consumed the rest of the sugar. Very strange.

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
For about 10 years I was a home brewer. I had a 5 gallon, all grain setup going. My brew kettle was a 7 gallon turkey fryer, which worked pretty good. But the novelty finally wore off a few years ago, really when we moved into the new house in '02. It wasn't convenient to do anymore. I didn't want to fire up a 100,000 BTU propane burner in the basement, so I used to work in the garage in the old house. It was attached and so I could work pretty easily between the kitchen, garage and finally into the basement. See I would steep the mash and lauter in the basement, take the wort up to the garage for the boil. I used a big coil of copper tubing to cool the wort and back down stairs to rack to the primary vessel (I used a big plastic tub for the primary ferment and carboys for the secondary). Well, at the new house the garage is detached, not to mention it's more snug in there than the old garage. So it got to be a PITA (particularly in the winter, best time to brew) and I just sort of stopped doing it. It's too bad this didn't come up earlier, I sold all that stuff about 6 months ago for like $200. I mean, it was a full end-to-end full grain system. The burner, a couple of brew kettles (the 7 gal big one and a 5 gallon stainless one that I fitted out for extract brewing), two 6 gallon glass carboys, a 7 gallon plastic fermenter, a false bottom mashtun with a cool sparging arm that rotated on the top, a heated sparge water tank (I stuck a water heater element into a bucket with a little Fujitsu temp controller), the wort chiller, bottle capper, a few bags of caps, a few cases of bottles. The whole shootin' match.
WOW! Nice setup! I have discovered I need a coil for chilling and I have also decided to do the multi tap Keg cooler because I can already tell that bottles are a PITA! I have the turkey fryer, 7 gal plastic fermenter and two carboys + all the brushes, funnels, hydrometer, thermometer, capping tool and misc. Just checked my Irish Red I made last night and it's flocking (pun intended) excellant, so far so good! I think this could be a fun side hobbie for a while.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I've gone to one of those "U Brew It" places several times, they had one in Boulder in Table Mesa until about a year ago when he closed. It was exactly the amount of involvement I wanted to have with this hobby- you get 3-4 guys together, set the date then you all go in and brew a batch. They have evertything there, you just have to find & weigh out all the ingredients, grind up the grains, then do the cookin'. Drinking beer was encouraged while you did this.

The brewing process lasted about 2 hours, when you're done they drain it all into a big plastic carboy & add the yeast. You go back with your same group 2 weeks later and your beer is in kegs, then you work the bottles for about 2 hours, sampling everything in the process. Batches were usually $100-$150 each, we'd always just split the cost so everyone paid the same, then divide the beer up at the end, so you walked away with about 6 cases of bombers, 3-4 different flavors.
Very cool! My first batch, excluding the hardware, cost $24 and some change. Next batch will be a tad cheaper as several items I bought with this batch will last for several batches. The hardest part is going to be the wait! I plan on making a second batch right after I transfer the first batch out of primary to secondary! I'm thinking an IPA will most likely be the next 5 gallons I make.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I used to hombrew alot in va because you couldn't get alot of good colorado or oreygun beers back east. Although just as I was leaving there have been some really good ones to say the least victory, dig fish head.

My best concauctions have been a true german wies beer and heavily dry hopped pales and IPA's

I need to get brewing again one of these days... My only tips are use wyeast or whitelabs... Yeast is everything in flavor.

Subscribe to BYO
TLCA#4180
Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I used to hombrew alot in va because you couldn't get alot of good colorado or oreygun beers back east. Although just as I was leaving there have been some really good ones to say the least victory, dig fish head.

My best concauctions have been a true german wies beer and heavily dry hopped pales and IPA's

I need to get brewing again one of these days... My only tips are use wyeast or whitelabs... Yeast is everything in flavor.

Subscribe to BYO
I used Whitelabs. "What's Brewing" in Boulder is an excellant full service brewing store. Very helpful and huge selection of grains, malts and everything else.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Very cool! My first batch, excluding the hardware, cost $24 and some change. Next batch will be a tad cheaper as several items I bought with this batch will last for several batches. The hardest part is going to be the wait! I plan on making a second batch right after I transfer the first batch out of primary to secondary! I'm thinking an IPA will most likely be the next 5 gallons I make.
My recommendations:

Double the amount of malt in most recipes or add a pound or so of specialty grains and steep the water with them before the boil. It really adds body and gives the beer more substance. All of my latest recipes, like Pale ale, use at least 8 lbs of malt. The Wyeast smack packs Wes recommended work great.

Another trick is to always use whole hops, loose, in the boil. When you pour off the wort through a funnel with a screen, the hops act like a natural filter and help the final clarity of the beer. Plus, whole hops smell, taste, bitter, sooo much better than pellets.

I've also started double fermenting every batch. Meaning I let it ferment initially for about 10 days in a glass carboy with a blow off tube, then when it slows, I rack it off the sludge and into a second carboy with an airlock and let it ferment for as long as it needs depending on the type of beer. Extra malt will require some extra time, but it's worth the wait for the extra gravity.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I can't wait to taste one

What did you brew UB?
TLCA#4180
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Next batch......Irish Green Ale

Title says it all....gonna cook up a new batch tonight that should be done just in time for St. Patty's Day! This is fun!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good to know your thinking of me

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"