Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Lifted

Default Welder reccomendations- Denver area

I am swapping an sbc into my truck here in the next few weeks and I'm gonna need to buy a welder. I'm not looking for the most badass mofo in the world but I would like one that could handle the job of fabbing a crossmember and putting in the motor mounts. I will also be using it for various suspension projects in the future (soa, spring mounts etc.) I'm also looking for a good place to purchase it with a sweet price if possible. Would like to get one that uses gas. I've been leaning towards Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart, but I don't know much about different brands of welders, I've just heard the best things about those three. Price is relatively an issue but I'm looking for quality, durability, and something I won't have to send to tiawan for servicing. On another note, my 2F still runs decently (202000 miles) and is desmogged so it will be available. I was thinking of donating the smog equipment to Rising Sun (there is a parts network isnt there?) if it would be helpful to someone. Thanks.

Last edited by beatdown83fj60; 02-14-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to clarify my request
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

are you asking for advice on buying a welder, or do you need someone for fab work?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Lifted

Miller 175 and don't look back
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustanutley View Post
X2, I dont own one myself, but the one i borrow to do all the stuff on my 40 is the 175, Its a bad ass, and only cost about $800
Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

x3...i just got one
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

well - if your looking for purchase advice: here's the skinny

buy from a local shop

miller/htp/lincoln/thermal arc machines rarely break. However, when they do, miller and thermal arc have the best service/warranty.

If I were buying a miller mig, I would get a 251/250. yeah, more money, but a way better machine than the 175.

Lincoln's are "hotter" machines, very conservatively rated, on duty cycle and amperage.

In tig, which I would not have as my only machine, unless you are good at stick as well, Lincoln rules. Well, except for the maxstar by Miller, but few people need that type of machine.

In closing, MIG: buy lincoln at 185 and below, miller 185 to 255, lincoln above that.

If you need someone to do your work chassis wise, hit me offline and I can make some recommendations.

j

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Lifted

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the confusing post, I edited it to help clarify what I meant. I heard tool king is not a bad place to go and that I may be able to get a good reman welder for a decent price. I may go check them out. Seems like it just comes down to what I want in a welder and that brand doesn't seem to matter too much when it comes to the major companies.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustanutley View Post
X4 I am very happy with mine
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Lifted

Holy how swamped with info am I right now. I've been reading up in a few welding forums on different various models but have a few questions. Does gas make for a cleaner weld and better penetration or for a longer cycle time or just for different grade steels? I was reading on a specific lincoln model (yes home depot blagh) 3200HD mostly for reference and from the scattered info I've found (forums too, so 1/2 opinion and 1/2 knowledge not to mention nobody is always right) that with a flux core wire it can do up to 5/16 mild steel. I have not read anything that says that the same machine will do thicker steel with gas, so I am guessing that you could get a better cleaner weld with more penetration while taking less time with an argon/co mix, and that it wouldn't take as long to perform the same operation. Am I out in left field or is this close to being correct. And also, would the steel put into a toyota frame be considered "mild steel" ? My budget is probably going to land at about 600 bucks if I can help it but if that won't get me what I need I will save up a bit further for the right product. I have welded leaf spring hangers, shock mounts, and some other stuff like that at the last shop I worked at, but I was never instructed on how to properly set the machine up, how the wire speed/amps affected my work, or what the difference was between MIG/TIG, flux vs. argon or anything similar. My friend is still driving the very truck I performed my welds on 2 years later and they have held up just fine, but I want to know more of what I'm doing and more importantly have the right equipment to practice with. Sorry for being so long winded, the miller 175 looks good, but if I can get a machine that will do the job (maybe not as quick is fine, I'll drink a beer or two for cycle times) correctly and more importantly safely for a little less cash I will be stoked. I am a little impatient but I know this is not the kind of thing that should be an impulse buy without some good research first.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:22 PM

dont forget that your going to need a bottle, and a hood. I have a miller 251, and I love it, but that's pretty far out of your price range. By buddy has the Hobart handler 140 that he bought from Tool King. It works well, but isnt big enough for doing heavy frame fab. The nice thing about it is that it runs off 115 volt, so you can use it anywhere. Another friend has the Hobart 185, from Tool King too, It runs on 230 volt and has a little more power. For a bottle you can get a cheaper one through a restaurant supplier, but you'll need an adapter to use it.
Check out these guys, http://www.generalair.com/
I've never used them but they are a Miller dealer and offer 0% financing. Also www.cyberweld.com has free shipping on their stuff.

Gary