Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

a 140 is plenty big for frame fab with proper prep and filler material. Most frames are 10 gauge at MOST.

beatdown, do yourself a favor, take a class first. I know I wish I had. I had to learn from several crabby old men with a oxy torch and stick when I was a kid.

By your last post, you need to get some schoolin first. Get the lincoln book, take a class at emily griffith's or arapahoe or something, and you will be very thankful.

c25/30 penetrates less than straight co2, and a 110 with gas is good only for sheetmetal and light duty.

however, a 110v with .30 fluxcore will do .25 (multipass - just like stick), and .125 on a single pass, .185 with good prep. nuthin wrong with root passes and void fills.

I would head over to the hobart forum, or the lincoln or miller forum, grab a bottle or six, and read up for a while.

Hell, there are several people here who I am sure would take donations and let you practice on their machines. just bring your own steel and donatable items...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have an HTP 160 DV.. The DV (dual volt) allows you to run on 110 or 230. I thought that would be great, but in reality you not only have to flip a few tabs inside the machine, you have to have 2 different ends for the power cord, and swap them each time... I just leave it wired for v230 all the time.. works great!

If i had it to do over again i would buy a Miller or Lincoln..
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Lifted

I was actually gonna spend some time with a friend of mine who does tubework for a living, and may even have a job coming up being an apprentice pipewelder (slave in training really), and I really do want to learn in depth how to do what I am doing and what is happening when I do it, but the ignorant young man in me says that I've welded a spring hanger in place and it didn't break so I could weld a motor mount in as well. Not true, and I am probably lucky my friends leaf spring is still attached to his truck, but..... I do want to have the proper equipment when I get proficient. If it counts for anything, I will have a babysitter on this project, who will probably do most of the work anyway but if not he can slap me when I screw up. I'm funding my welder and soaking info. Thank you for the warning, and I do need to learn more about this before I weld anything of mine and jump on a highway.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

dude - pipe apprentice would be sweet. I WISH I could run stick bead like those guys do... Great trade, good pay and benies, one of the few jobs unions are good for imho.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
X4 I am very happy with mine
X5, great versatile machine that does all I want, even thicker sheet metal - if the trigger modulator had any skill it would be better.

Call Dave Rios at General Air on Santa Fe & Rio Grande in Littleton and tell him I sent you. He will take care of you. He sells Miller and Lincoln.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.