Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

The peened surface on the pistons looks pretty odd but shouldn't hurt. Is the notch in the piston face in cyl #1 pointed towards the rear of the engine? I think its in backwards. It might not matter much but I think there's a reason the notches are all supposed to be facing toward the front.

edit: Wait a minute, that's not cyl #1, that's another shot of #6.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

<<SNIP>>
The backfire out the carb is because that valve doesn't seat. Valve doesn't seat because there is a piece of something big in it. The "something" banged around a while and damaged the plug before it got stuck. The gap on that rocker is because the valve won't seat....I think you'll find some beat up piston heads as well as the head damage.
<</snip>>

Pretty darn good guess, eh? It is all because of your great pictures!
Why in 3 holes? Well, there are 3 parts to those clamps. There should be a flat piece with some holes in it in your muffler.
The times I have seen piston heads and like that, we junked the engine. Too much money for the head work, pistons, and machine work on the block.

On the other hand, it might run fine with just head work. My fear is that latent damage to the piston heads is going to cause an oil burning problem in the near future. If you have to pull the block for machine work anyway, just drop in a different engine.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun member

all the notches face the front.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

WOW, that's interesting. That had to have fallen in relatively recently...

I'd be kinda worried about the pitting on the #1 cyl walls. So.. those pistons have a hammerite finish now? Really that's not ideal because the combustion process will not be as smooth. I doubt you'd have an issue with burning oil from them. I'd try and wire wheel them and clean them up some. This is still a tractor motor so I still think you have life in it. I'd button it back up and see how she goes DTR.
TLCA#4180
Old 03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow Matt-

I have been there and done this... my #4 cylinder let go at the main bearing on the highway, talk about a bang!

If I were you, I would check out:

1. Any locals with a running 2f laying around. Could be the fastest way to get you up and running, but in my mind every engine that isn't in a vehicle isn't in a vehicle for a reason... just be careful if you buy one.

2. I would look at getting the head totally reworked, I had a performance race shop do a complete head rebuild and angle valve job for 180 bucks but that was in Iowa were everything is cheaper. I would bet that this gets you up and running again, a new head gasket and valve job will get you up and running again.

3. I would pull the pan, and check each piston for any play at the crank, if you smacked a piston hard enough it could have damaged the bearing on that cylinder, if they check out okay I would run it with a rebuilt head.

4. Sell everything you own and drop a Ramjet 350 in...

Sorry bud, there are no easy fixes here, that is a real bummer, but fix it right and you won't regret it.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I doubt there would be any rod bearing damage but really check piston height closely on all cylinders as rod damage is possible. Another possible area of concern would be the piston deck itself as cast pistons will crack rather than bend. You should be able to assess from underneith with the oil pan off. If the cylinder walls are not damaged and the piston height is OK I would do as suggested and clean up the tops of the pistons with a rotory scotch brite pad freshen the head and drive it.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Make sure you use a Toyota head gasket. It's a bummer pulling the head to redo a head gasket only a year after you had the head off the first time. Don't ask me how I know.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

Matt, that's rotten news.

You could always pick up Olegs rebuilt 2F.

Not a bad deal for a rebuilt engine. You could drop it in over a weekend and be back up and running. Use your old engine as a parts donor.

Hope you can get it running soon.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Rising Sun member

Yay! Got it running tonight! Valve/head job at Gunn Automotive, good guys and know stuff like the oil galley plug that pops out, so they replaced it etc...Head gasket (OEM Toyota) from a forklift supplier (forgot which one just now?), oil pan gasket from Shark Bait, cleaned it all up and threw it back together! My valves were in somewhat poor shape, so after we adjusted the valves tonight the rocker assembly was running noticeably smoother and quieter! No surprises, but got by pretty cheap considering what could have happened.

Figured the culprit hose clamp came off of the EGR tube that feeds the carb...it runs right next to the carb and there's a rubber hose that attaches to it. When I had the carb off this past summer to replace my brake booster I'm pretty sure that's when it fell in, now that I think about it I remember not being able to find it but brushing it off as not important...

Anyway thanks guys for the help, and I'm actually kinda glad I got the chance to do this, I learned a ton!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 11-05-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Cool. Glad to hear its back together and running.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln