Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Help With Quirky Transmission UPSHIFT

Just drove back from Santa Fe in the 80 after a long weekend and we set an all-time record low for trip duration. What's even more surprising is how effortless the trip was and how the comfortable ride left us feeling like we were just getting started as we entered the Denver traffic. That quickly reminded us of how happy we were to be near home. Anyway, on to the not-so-serious quirk noticed during the drive.
This occurred with regularity at hiway speeds of around 70-75mph. O/D and cruise control on going up a long grade that forced an automatic tranny downshift. When the long grade was crested and it was time for an upshift back into 4th, it wouldn't occur for 10 to 20 seconds after the time I thought it should have. Easily overridden by clicking the CC off and then resuming but it there any adjustability of the CC parameters that prevent the tranny from upshifting sooner? Remember, this question is from an owner that is used solely to a hydraulically activated A440F.
Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Just drove back from Santa Fe in the 80 after a long weekend and we set an all-time record low for trip duration. What's even more surprising is how effortless the trip was and how the comfortable ride left us feeling like we were just getting started as we entered the Denver traffic. That quickly reminded us of how happy we were to be near home. Anyway, on to the not-so-serious quirk noticed during the drive.
This occurred with regularity at hiway speeds of around 70-75mph. O/D and cruise control on going up a long grade that forced an automatic tranny downshift. When the long grade was crested and it was time for an upshift back into 4th, it wouldn't occur for 10 to 20 seconds after the time I thought it should have. Easily overridden by clicking the CC off and then resuming but it there any adjustability of the CC parameters that prevent the tranny from upshifting sooner? Remember, this question is from an owner that is used solely to a hydraulically activated A440F.
Thanks.
Sounds like you had the "Power" button pushed?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Sounds like you had the "Power" button pushed?
I would agree
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KØVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds simple enough and thanks for the idea. Is there an indicator that reflects the button being engaged or is it a feel thing of the button action? I haven't explored that feature yet and guess that I will be soon. I guess the 62 has spoiled me with its simplicity!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

CC logic holds the lower gear based on throttle angle from 10-30 seconds after attaining set speed, to prevent excessive shifting. Tap the accel or decel once and the shift usually occures instantly. Welcome to the electronic world!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Sounds simple enough and thanks for the idea. Is there an indicator that reflects the button being engaged or is it a feel thing of the button action? I haven't explored that feature yet and guess that I will be soon. I guess the 62 has spoiled me with its simplicity!!
There is an indicator on the cluster but it is possible the bulb could be burnt. The button will stay low when on and higher when off. That is what the Power button does is raise the shift points. I leave mine on all the time unless I'm cruising down the highway.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Yeah, I still need to replace my "D" bulb. The rest of the lights work fine.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Hmmmm, I've noticed exactly the same behavior when cresting hills at highway speeds... I never connected it with use of the Power button, though. Makes sense, and mine is always on to compensate for the 285's.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb View Post
CC logic holds the lower gear based on throttle angle from 10-30 seconds after attaining set speed, to prevent excessive shifting. Tap the accel or decel once and the shift usually occures instantly. Welcome to the electronic world!
BVB is all-knowing..

You either need to tap the throttle at the top, or turn off the cruise control at the bottom of the hill, otherwise it'll hang in 3rd. Power button will make it worse, since the shift point is higher, but it's not the power button. Ever notice that you can't shift into OD when the truck is cold? Yes, your transmission has a brain too..

edit: IOW, it's a feature, not a defect.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ever notice that you can't shift into OD when the truck is cold? Yes, your transmission has a brain too..
Timely information...I was thinking maybe I had a problem lately (just now getting to drive the LX) while cruising around town and it didn't seem like the LX wanted to shift into OD. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if what I've been noticing only occurs when the truck is cold...I'm used to the Durango which kicks into OD early and often.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater