Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Wincher

Default Newbie - A couple questions

Hey guys,
I just bought a 1990 4runner v6 5 speed and have big plans of SAS and 35's. I found a '85 front axle and I can get tires for pretty cheap as well.
I'm pretty good with a welder and a grinder ad have access to a plasma and a tubing bender
This is the list I have so far of what I'm going to need for the swap:
Axle
leaf springs (any reccomendations)
spring perches
front d-shaft (any reccomedations?)
shocks
shock mounts
brake lines
5.29 gears (is this too low for 35's?)
steering parts (need a little help here on the specifics)

What else am I going to need?
What are the big hangups on this type of build?
any other advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Welcome Joe! If you haven't already, I would suggest poking around Off Road Solution's web site.. I think they even have a solid axle swap kit they sell that breaks it all down, and they're clearly one of the most proficient Runner shops in the area, if not the best? hth.. again, welcome!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Wincher

Thanks
I already saw the same kit from Front Range 4x4 - and I think I could make the kit for less than $200 myself and have materials left over for upper shock mounts, etc.
I'm all for buying a good product but I want to try to save as much money as posssible. I don't mind spending an afternoon to make my own spring hangers.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Been there, done that (couple of times)

Axle- Get longfields for that 1985 axle you have. You might consider an FZJ80 high pinion diff with either an ARB or elocker, your choice. The axle housing will require fairly easy mods for the elocker, the ARB/hi pinion will slip right in. Figure $1300 for a geared/ARB diff. Stronger than the 4-cylinder, but if money is a concern lots of guys wheel the 4-cyl. with no issues other than maybe driveline vibes.

leaf springs (any reccomendations) All-pro are inexpensive but run higher lift than advertised and settle over time. You keeping the rear coil? If so, go with 3" front lift MAX. Minimum too, because of the limited uptravel of an IFS frame. If leafs all four corners, no holds barred. I used Alcan springs and VERY HIGHLY recommend them. Pricey though. Marlin springs are identical to All-Pro, same qualifications apply. I run stock length in the front and get GREAT droop, axle ~3" forward from stock with very good approach angle and firewall clearing. Rears, I run 9" longer than stock to get them to flex decently. I run 3" lift front (4" with the hanger), 6" rear and wish for 7" rear. I therefore reinstalled my 1" blocks. Ick. Oh well.

spring perches- I prefer (and Mike at ORS prefers) the Front Range Off Road Fab units. They provide the minimum of drop, allowing you to match the '85 factory geometry as close as possible. All-Pro hangers are good (though more drop, not so good) but require additional bracing, lest the frame crack in a year or two.

If you go with leafs in the rear, Jerry at Burt Parts knows which spring hangers to sell you. The right one goes left, the left one goes right. Nice units and not too expensive.

front d-shaft (any reccomedations?) Englewood Driveshaft. Better than the rest by far. Request (more like require) genuine Toyota U-joints however. Good shop.

shocks - personal preference. Avoid RS5000 series, harsh ride. RS99000 are good and 9-way adjustable, 99012s offer max travel.

shock mounts- $12 Ford towers are unbeatable. Don't spend $200 here or I will laugh at you.

brake lines- whatever, commodity item.

5.29 gears (is this too low for 35's?)- no, not with a 3.slow motor. Not by any means. Even with 33s, 3.slow and a 4Runner. I too had a 1990, I know of which I speak. I run a 3.4 in the '87, and it is a tad too low, but not bothersome by any means and it tows great.

steering parts (need a little help here on the specifics)- All-pro hi-steer, Marlin, whatever you can get a good deal on. Marlin and Allpro (IIRC) steering arms are now machined out of billet rather than cast, mo-betta.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
Thanks
I already saw the same kit from Front Range 4x4 - and I think I could make the kit for less than $200 myself and have materials left over for upper shock mounts, etc.
I'm all for buying a good product but I want to try to save as much money as posssible. I don't mind spending an afternoon to make my own spring hangers.
Buy the hangers without the cross bar from Brian at Front Range, $50. You can't make them for that. You need the shackle tubes too, though, don't forget. And the mongo washers to keep them from ripping out of the frame. DO NOT weld shackle hangers from beneath the frame, it does NOT work with steering geometry.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Wincher

Great info Chili - thanks!!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Wincher

Hey guys - would a front axle from a FJ 40 work? - I found a dirt cheap deal on one
Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Anything can be made to work... but this one, not so much.

You should be able to find a '79-'85 axle for around 200 bones these days. Hard to beat that. Or you could spend almost double that at Yota Yard.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Buy Olegs 85 rolling chassis, use what you need sell the rest and break even!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Joe, now that you have an axle housing from Ben, you only need shafts and knucks, and spindles. Those can be had at Yota Yard or elsewhere if they will part out the axles. They may not...

Use your IFS hubs (and buy some '85 Aisin locking hubs), and Sky Mfg. wide axle kit, and FJ60 rotors, and your existing calipers. Better than spacers.
KDØRCH
Bio Page