Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok, you guys are killing me, yeah I know tire shops always over-torque, that's why I run back there and tell the guy don't bother torquing, I'll do myself. Then again, the last guy that put tires on my truck was LexusBen, so he let me pick whatever torque I wanted, and borrow his wrench!

So I'm going to shoot for 90 or so on the 40 and see if that keeps those buggers tight this time, once I swap on the 60 rims I may beef that up to 100.

And FWIW, your 80 is supposed to be 76 ft/pounds, please refer to your FSM for more...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
... And FWIW, your 80 is supposed to be 76 ft/pounds, please refer to your FSM for more...

What do I win?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Ok, you guys are killing me, yeah I know tire shops always over-torque, that's why I run back there and tell the guy don't bother torquing, I'll do myself. Then again, the last guy that put tires on my truck was LexusBen, so he let me pick whatever torque I wanted, and borrow his wrench!

So I'm going to shoot for 90 or so on the 40 and see if that keeps those buggers tight this time, once I swap on the 60 rims I may beef that up to 100.

And FWIW, your 80 is supposed to be 76 ft/pounds, please refer to your FSM for more...
My nuts will remain at 90 and so will all the other lug nuts in my future with the exception of the one tons which will continue to be happy at 110!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun member

Good call Wes!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've never had one come loose at 76 (the ones that are supposed to be that) as with UB not having one come loose @ 90. Other thing, Make sure the threads are clean. "They" (whoever that is) say never put any kind of lube on lug studs. Usually this ok. I use regular engine oil on mine. DON'T USE ANTISEIZE. For lack of a better tech explanation is makes the threads too slippery and the lug will snap before torque is reached. Ask me how I know - numerous occasions.

Toyotas used to come with a little on them from the factory. 1st service while torquing wheels 1 or 2 would always break. Different torque wrenches. Clean the a/s off of the studs and they would torque every time - no breaky.

I think i remember seeing roger brown do a comparison test in a lab supporting this. It used to be on his web site somewhere.